A simple an inexpensive blood test for the most common form of arthritis has been developed by British scientists.
It is hoped it will be possible diagnose osteoarthritis up to a decade earlier than current techniques, just by analysing a single drop of blood.
Caught early, even something as simple as losing weight could slow progression of the painful and debilitating condition.
The most common form of arthritis, osteoarthritis, is caused by wear and tear of cartilage that helps our joints take the strain of bending, lifting, gripping and kneeling.
There is no specific test for it and it is often not diagnosed until it has reached such a late stage that the joints are so badly damaged that surgery is the only option.
The breakthrough, from Warwick University, involves using a single drop of blood to look for tell-tale signs of the condition.
Scientists have shown the blood from people with osteoarthritis contains higher levels of two compounds than samples from healthy people.
The test, which could cost as little as £50 and uses equipment common in hospital labs, is ‘very accurate’.
It correctly diagnosed the condition in 22 out of 30 people, the journal Nature Scientific Reports says.
Importantly, it is able to spot the disease early in its progression and rule out other possible causes of joint pain.
Lead researcher Dr Naila Rabbani said: ‘This is a remarkable and unexpected finding.
‘It could help bring early-stage and appropriate treatment for arthritis, which gives the best chance of effective treatment.’
The Latest on: Arthritis blood test
via Google News
The Latest on: Arthritis blood test
- Tebow the Bulldog tried 'Doggy Pot' and now he can walk around the block againon January 31, 2020 at 5:51 pm
At age 14, he limps with arthritis. He says he saw "zero improvement." But he says, "I have patients who swear by it." 4) Vets tell me if you have good quality CBD it's safe to try on the short term.
- 13 of the Most Common Health Problems in Your 70son January 31, 2020 at 8:22 am
You may not know if you have hypercholesterolemia or hyperlipidemia—high levels of fat in the blood—until a blood test reveals it. It's almost completely asymptomatic ... It's not life threatening, ...
- Autoimmune Disease Diagnostic Market Forecasts,...on January 31, 2020 at 12:14 am
Dublin, Jan. 31, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Autoimmune Disease Diagnostic Market, by Disease, Tests Type, Regions, Global Forecast" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- 11 Things People Wish They Knew When They Were Diagnosed With Rheumatoid Arthritison January 30, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system mistakenly ... You can have RA and not test positive on the diagnostic tests. There are a few blood tests ...
- Research project moves one step closer to personalized treatment of rheumatic diseaseson January 29, 2020 at 4:44 pm
... results in time can be translated into a simple test - such as a blood test - which can determine the correct medicine for the individual patient. According to Tue Wenzel Kragstrup, this type of ...
- One step closer to tailored treatment of severe rheumatic diseaseson January 29, 2020 at 12:29 pm
... results in time can be translated into a simple test—such as a blood test—which can determine the correct medicine for the individual patient. According to Tue Wenzel Kragstrup, this type of ...
- The Challenge of Diagnosing Ankylosing Spondylitison January 28, 2020 at 4:00 pm
While there are no laboratory tests that definitively diagnose ankylosing spondylitis, your doctor may order blood tests to look for systemic inflammation and to evaluate for other inflammatory forms ...
- Drug Prescribed For Hypertension May Reduce Risk of Gouton January 28, 2020 at 3:16 am
If yes, you may be suffering from gout, which is a common type of arthritis. An antihypertensive drug named amlodipine can help lower ... You may also have to go through a blood test for the same.
- Global Autoimmune Treatment Market is Expected to Reach USD 7.95 Billion by 2025 : Fior Marketson January 27, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Newark, NJ, Jan. 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As per the report published by Fior Markets, the global autoimmune treatment market is expected to grow from USD 3.28 Billion in 2017 to USD 7.95 Billion ...
- How Rheumatoid Arthritis Changed My Relationship With Painon January 27, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Pain that broke me. Related: Tatum O'Neal's Honest Photo Reveals the Painful Side Effects of Rheumatoid Arthritis As my rheumatologist began the trial and error cycle of finding the best treatment, ...
via Bing News