With production funded by crowdsourcing, the first unit will be delivered to the United States in March
Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) start-up Blacksmith Group today launched the world’s first compact 3D printer that can also scan items into digitised models.
Named the Blacksmith Genesis, this user-friendly device allows users without much knowledge of 3D software to scan any item, then edit the digitised model on the computer and print it out in 3D.
The all-in-one 3D printer and scanner whose production was financed through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.com, was unveiled today at the American Association Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in San Jose, California.
The event is the world’s largest general scientific conference, bringing together thousands of scientists, engineers, policymakers, and educators to discuss the most recent developments in science and technology.
The first batch is now ready to be shipped out in March to early adopters who supported Blacksmith Group’s crowdfunding campaign.
Innovative design with several firsts
Housed in a black aluminium casing, the high-tech device weighing 6 kilograms features a 2-inch LCD display, Wi-Fi, an integrated SD-card reader and a USB connection for instant printing.
Blacksmith Genesis uses an innovative rotary platform for its printing and scanning, unlike other commercial 3D printers. This patent-pending revolving platform allows for true 360-degrees scanning, and can print items up to 6,650 cm3 (about 6.5 litres), twice the size of those printed by other similar-sized 3D printers in the market.
With a fine resolution of 50 micrometres, the reproductions will be twice as detailed compared to other compact 3D printers. Likewise, scanning of objects with its 5 megapixel camera takes only 6 minutes, twice as fast as other 3D scanners in the market.
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
- PrintAWorld Offers High-Quality 3D Printing Services in New York City, NYon November 15, 2019 at 6:35 am
With their 3D Modeling, 3D Printing, 3D Scanning, Laser Cutting, Metal Plating and Manufacturing capabilities they are able to bring all their clients’ ideas to reality including, sculpture ...
- Ultrasound device creates an audio, visual and tactile 3D displayon November 15, 2019 at 6:17 am
This creates the illusion of a single 3D image in much the same way as a cathode-ray tube creates a 2D image in an old television by rapidly scanning an electron beam ... be used to create 3D printers ...
- 3D Mapping and 3D Modelling Market Size, Market Share, Leading Players and Forecast to 2022on November 14, 2019 at 4:11 am
... in a two-dimensional form using 3D rendering or through computer software or could be physically created using 3D printers. The models could be displayed using computer simulation. The data is ...
- Stratasys 3D-prints replicas of human hearts and other organs for surgery preparation and researchon November 13, 2019 at 12:17 pm
3D printers are creating replicas of real human hearts and other body parts that can be used by surgeons preparing for an operation. A 3D body scan followed by 3D printing can produce accurate ...
- Researchers develop new 3D printing for the direct production of nanostructureson November 13, 2019 at 12:56 am
All images are re-coloured scanning electron microscope micrographs ... pen refill and the gas is the ink." Production of 3D-printed nano-components using the FEBID method. The diameters of the ...
- 3D and 4D Technology Market Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2022on November 7, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Various other applications include the 3D printer, which is used to create designs for objects which seemed less practical. Another application is 3D scanning, which provides the 3D image of the ...
- Innovations in Robots, 3D Printing, Scanners, and Welding Technologies, 2019 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 6, 2019 at 4:10 pm
The "Innovations in Robots, 3D Printing, Scanners, and Welding Technologies" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This Advanced Manufacturing Technology TechVision Opportunity ...
- The 3D Printers, Scanners, And Art Robots Of Maker Faire Romeon November 2, 2019 at 10:05 am
Has 3D-scanning really come so far that a simple camera and motorized jig can have insane resolution? These are the kinds of questions that were running through my mind, and being answered by the ...
- SOL 3D Scanner—A Great Choice for the Holidayson November 1, 2019 at 7:28 am
Joe Larson, owner of the YouTube channel 3D Printing Professor, says SOL was the “best experience with 3D scanning that I have yet had.” Jeffrey Rowe, owner of 3D consulting firm Cairowest, hails the ...
- 3D Printing Sector Overview — Q3 2019 Updateon October 25, 2019 at 5:57 pm
In this post we examine the different components of the 3D printing ecosystem. We will illustrate what the categories of innovation are and how they compare to one another. Let’s start off by looking ...
via Bing News