With production funded by crowdsourcing, the first unit will be delivered to the United States in March
Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) start-up Blacksmith Group today launched the world’s first compact 3D printer that can also scan items into digitised models.
Named the Blacksmith Genesis, this user-friendly device allows users without much knowledge of 3D software to scan any item, then edit the digitised model on the computer and print it out in 3D.
The all-in-one 3D printer and scanner whose production was financed through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.com, was unveiled today at the American Association Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in San Jose, California.
The event is the world’s largest general scientific conference, bringing together thousands of scientists, engineers, policymakers, and educators to discuss the most recent developments in science and technology.
The first batch is now ready to be shipped out in March to early adopters who supported Blacksmith Group’s crowdfunding campaign.
Innovative design with several firsts
Housed in a black aluminium casing, the high-tech device weighing 6 kilograms features a 2-inch LCD display, Wi-Fi, an integrated SD-card reader and a USB connection for instant printing.
Blacksmith Genesis uses an innovative rotary platform for its printing and scanning, unlike other commercial 3D printers. This patent-pending revolving platform allows for true 360-degrees scanning, and can print items up to 6,650 cm3 (about 6.5 litres), twice the size of those printed by other similar-sized 3D printers in the market.
With a fine resolution of 50 micrometres, the reproductions will be twice as detailed compared to other compact 3D printers. Likewise, scanning of objects with its 5 megapixel camera takes only 6 minutes, twice as fast as other 3D scanners in the market.
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
- Can you help the UEA start 3D printing ventilators and masks?on March 22, 2020 at 7:52 am
The finished items will then be given to hospitals. Dr Saeed is looking for people with software skills – particularly Solidworks for CAD design, and those trained in 3D scanners and conversion of ...
- Additive Manufacturing Process Simulation Solution Predicts Distortion during 3D Printingon March 18, 2020 at 2:34 pm
It addresses errors originating from suboptimal scan strategies and process parameters ... which assists manufacturers in designing and printing useful parts at scale. It is expected to help achieve ...
- Dental 3D Scanners Market 2020-2026on March 16, 2020 at 10:01 am
Dental 3D scanners are used to scan teeth using laser or light source. The image created using 3D scanners are processed into computer for further use. These images are combined with CAD or CAM system ...
- 3D Printing in Healthcare Market Driven by Key Players Are Stratasys Ltd, Materialise, 3D Systemson March 11, 2020 at 5:18 pm
Global 3D Printing in Healthcare Market is anticipated to grow at a 23.0% CAGR from 2019 to 2030 New York, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/11/2020 -- Medical imaging creates visual representation of the interior ...
- 3D Dental Scanners Market 2019 Industry Analysis, Size, Growth, Share, Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 | CAGR of 11.50%on March 11, 2020 at 3:58 am
These scanners utilize the property of structured or light laser to provide with the image on computer. These dental devices are used in hospitals and dental clinics to create digital model of teeth ...
- Study: 3D scan sheds new light on Boulder’s own Triceratopson March 11, 2020 at 3:39 am
To collect the scan, he and his fellow students in the technology class used a device that looked a bit like a police radar gun on steroids. The museum bought the device from the Broomfield-based 3D ...
- The 3D Measurement Company adds two new ScanTech 3D scanning and measurement devices to portfolioon March 10, 2020 at 9:12 am
The 3D Measurement Company (T3DMC) has announced two new additions to its 3D scanning and measurement portfolio. TrackScan P22 has been designed to enable the acquisition of dimensional data and ...
- 3D Scanning Market By Type, Services, Range, Application and Geography 2020 – 2027on March 6, 2020 at 12:58 am
The report analyzes and forecasts the 3D Scanning market at global and regional levels. The market has been forecast based on volume (Tons) and value (US$ Mn) from 2020 to 2026. The study includes ...
- Smithsonian 3D Scans NASA Space Shuttle Discovery And Makes It Open Sourceon March 5, 2020 at 3:07 am
In this post, I wanted to share how the Smithsonian Institution Digitization Program Office scanned the NASA Space Shuttle Discovery, in high, high resolution — like tens of thousands of 50 megapixel ...
- The 3D Printers, Scanners, And Art Robots Of Maker Faire Romeon March 3, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Has 3D-scanning really come so far that a simple ... There was a high concentration of robots creating art and 3D printing on display and the Faire, so I saved the best examples just for this ...
via Bing News