With production funded by crowdsourcing, the first unit will be delivered to the United States in March
Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) start-up Blacksmith Group today launched the world’s first compact 3D printer that can also scan items into digitised models.
Named the Blacksmith Genesis, this user-friendly device allows users without much knowledge of 3D software to scan any item, then edit the digitised model on the computer and print it out in 3D.
The all-in-one 3D printer and scanner whose production was financed through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.com, was unveiled today at the American Association Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in San Jose, California.
The event is the world’s largest general scientific conference, bringing together thousands of scientists, engineers, policymakers, and educators to discuss the most recent developments in science and technology.
The first batch is now ready to be shipped out in March to early adopters who supported Blacksmith Group’s crowdfunding campaign.
Innovative design with several firsts
Housed in a black aluminium casing, the high-tech device weighing 6 kilograms features a 2-inch LCD display, Wi-Fi, an integrated SD-card reader and a USB connection for instant printing.
Blacksmith Genesis uses an innovative rotary platform for its printing and scanning, unlike other commercial 3D printers. This patent-pending revolving platform allows for true 360-degrees scanning, and can print items up to 6,650 cm3 (about 6.5 litres), twice the size of those printed by other similar-sized 3D printers in the market.
With a fine resolution of 50 micrometres, the reproductions will be twice as detailed compared to other compact 3D printers. Likewise, scanning of objects with its 5 megapixel camera takes only 6 minutes, twice as fast as other 3D scanners in the market.
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
- The best 3D printer and scanner Cyber Monday deals for 2019on December 1, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Starting last year, I got pretty deep in the weeds with 3D printers, creating everything from tabletop game accessories to smartphone stands to a sweet mini Millennium Falcon. For the 2019 holiday ...
- Smallest 3D stop-animation shot in a scanning electron microscope (w/video)on November 28, 2019 at 12:33 am
(Nanowerk News) A new film has set a Guiness World Record by pushing the boundaries of stop motion cinematography, employing the smallest 3D stop-motion animation characters: The movie is shot frame ...
- What is the Best 3D Scanner You Can Buy? 6 Great Optionson November 27, 2019 at 1:20 pm
3D printing and scanning has become a standard practice in many industries, from the healthcare sector to the auto sector and beyond. It’s even moved into the home, where freelance artists, animators, ...
- 3D Mapping and 3D Modelling Market 2016-2022 / Share, Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Top Keyon November 27, 2019 at 5:17 am
... in a two-dimensional form using 3D rendering or through computer software or could be physically created using 3D printers. The models could be displayed using computer simulation. The data is ...
- Craniosynostosis surgery: workflow based on virtual surgical planning, intraoperative navigation and 3D printed patient-specific guides and templateson November 27, 2019 at 2:17 am
During the scanning process, this device was moved around the region of interest ... This novel workflow for craniosynostosis reconstruction based on intraoperative navigation and 3D printing enables ...
- Scanning Software Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2019-2025on November 26, 2019 at 4:45 am
... launched an HDI Compact S1 entry-level professional 3D scanner that can be used for 3D printing, reverse engineering, and scientific research. This scanner costs around US$5,999 USD. It contains ...
- Long-Hidden 3D Scan of Ancient Egyptian Nefertiti Bust Finally Revealedon November 25, 2019 at 4:10 am
However, the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection in Berlin has finally released the 3D scan of the 3,000-year-old statue, after a 3-year campaign by digital multimedia artist Cosmo Wenman. Wenman ...
- Treating Cancer Patients: Using 3D Scanning & Printing to Create the Boluson November 22, 2019 at 12:35 am
In ‘A modern mold room: Meshing 3D surface scanning, digital design, and 3D printing with bolus fabrication,’ cancer researchers continue to seek better ways not just to find a cure, but to offer ...
- 3D Printed Medical Devices Market 2019 Global Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2024on November 21, 2019 at 5:01 am
These devices are can be manufactured at end-user facilities with 3D printers and compatible scanners and software but also purchased through an outsourced 3D printing vendor, which uses transmitted ...
- Interview with RESA’s Glen Hinshaw on 3D Printing Shoeson November 21, 2019 at 12:46 am
... that became a pioneer in 3D scanning soles using conventional means to manufacture them in stores and founded a leading custom bicycle fitting center. For nearly 15 years now Glen has been trying ...
via Bing News