With production funded by crowdsourcing, the first unit will be delivered to the United States in March
Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) start-up Blacksmith Group today launched the world’s first compact 3D printer that can also scan items into digitised models.
Named the Blacksmith Genesis, this user-friendly device allows users without much knowledge of 3D software to scan any item, then edit the digitised model on the computer and print it out in 3D.
The all-in-one 3D printer and scanner whose production was financed through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.com, was unveiled today at the American Association Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in San Jose, California.
The event is the world’s largest general scientific conference, bringing together thousands of scientists, engineers, policymakers, and educators to discuss the most recent developments in science and technology.
The first batch is now ready to be shipped out in March to early adopters who supported Blacksmith Group’s crowdfunding campaign.
Innovative design with several firsts
Housed in a black aluminium casing, the high-tech device weighing 6 kilograms features a 2-inch LCD display, Wi-Fi, an integrated SD-card reader and a USB connection for instant printing.
Blacksmith Genesis uses an innovative rotary platform for its printing and scanning, unlike other commercial 3D printers. This patent-pending revolving platform allows for true 360-degrees scanning, and can print items up to 6,650 cm3 (about 6.5 litres), twice the size of those printed by other similar-sized 3D printers in the market.
With a fine resolution of 50 micrometres, the reproductions will be twice as detailed compared to other compact 3D printers. Likewise, scanning of objects with its 5 megapixel camera takes only 6 minutes, twice as fast as other 3D scanners in the market.
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
- How Salt River Project uses 3D printing to solve N95 mask shortage for workerson June 27, 2020 at 8:11 am
We’ve gotten a lot of feedback from our teams who have tested the masks, and we know these are much more durable and easier to work," an SRP manager said.
- 2020 Trends in 3D Scannerson June 24, 2020 at 7:49 am
The market for 3D scanners is projected to increase by a factor of four over the period from 2020 to 2030, according to recent marketing study Future Market Insights. This means the market for the ...
- MT Ortho deploys GE Additive EBM 3D printing technology for customised prostheseson June 24, 2020 at 5:33 am
Italian MT Ortho is using GE Additive’s Arcam Electron Beam Melting technology to produce customised prostheses for cranioplasty and bone cancer patients.
- Creaform launches MetraSCAN BLACK 3D scanner promising 4X resolution and speedon June 23, 2020 at 9:00 am
Believed to be its fastest and most accurate portable optical CMM scanner to date, the MetraSCAN BLACK is equipped to measure complex parts and assemblies on the production floor.
- 3D Tooth Printing in Cosmetic Dentistry- TBRC's Global Dental Services Market Report Insightson June 16, 2020 at 8:45 am
D tooth printing is an emerging trend in the dental services industry. 3D printing is the process of making three-dimensional solid ...
- The 3D Printers, Scanners, And Art Robots Of Maker Faire Romeon June 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Has 3D-scanning really come so far that a simple ... There was a high concentration of robots creating art and 3D printing on display and the Faire, so I saved the best examples just for this ...
- Broken 3D Printer Turned Scanning Microscopeon June 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
But the death of one tool ended up being the birth of another, as he ended up using its mechanical components and a Raspberry Pi to create an impressive scanning ... what 3D printers are good ...
- New French Organization Covid3D Creates 24-7 3D Printing Factory for 40 Hospitalson June 4, 2020 at 1:56 pm
This hospital is 3D printing medical equipment around the clock and using another 3D technology, 3D scanning to perform quality control on all the parts produced. Led by a surgeon in Paris, a new ...
- Polyga Releases Professional Handheld H3 3D Scanning Systemon June 4, 2020 at 8:07 am
It can scan many different objects that are roughly ... Discuss this story and other 3D printing topics at 3DPrintBoard.com or share your thoughts in the Facebook comments below.
- Seattle Children’s imaging expert uses CT scanner and 3D printing to replace vital equipment partson June 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm
He reverse engineered them by doing what he would do if creating a 3D model for a patient’s surgery — he used a CT scanner ... then connected with the 3D printing team at Stratasys, who ...
via Bing News