With production funded by crowdsourcing, the first unit will be delivered to the United States in March
Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU Singapore) start-up Blacksmith Group today launched the world’s first compact 3D printer that can also scan items into digitised models.
Named the Blacksmith Genesis, this user-friendly device allows users without much knowledge of 3D software to scan any item, then edit the digitised model on the computer and print it out in 3D.
The all-in-one 3D printer and scanner whose production was financed through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.com, was unveiled today at the American Association Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual Meeting in San Jose, California.
The event is the world’s largest general scientific conference, bringing together thousands of scientists, engineers, policymakers, and educators to discuss the most recent developments in science and technology.
The first batch is now ready to be shipped out in March to early adopters who supported Blacksmith Group’s crowdfunding campaign.
Innovative design with several firsts
Housed in a black aluminium casing, the high-tech device weighing 6 kilograms features a 2-inch LCD display, Wi-Fi, an integrated SD-card reader and a USB connection for instant printing.
Blacksmith Genesis uses an innovative rotary platform for its printing and scanning, unlike other commercial 3D printers. This patent-pending revolving platform allows for true 360-degrees scanning, and can print items up to 6,650 cm3 (about 6.5 litres), twice the size of those printed by other similar-sized 3D printers in the market.
With a fine resolution of 50 micrometres, the reproductions will be twice as detailed compared to other compact 3D printers. Likewise, scanning of objects with its 5 megapixel camera takes only 6 minutes, twice as fast as other 3D scanners in the market.
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printer and scanner
- Evonik bets big on Chinese medical 3D-printing startupon September 6, 2019 at 12:08 pm
The software can read and process images directly from magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography scan devices. A readily printable 3D model is generated by the software and sent to the printer ...
- 3D printing and corn-starch replicas: the new way to fit suitson September 5, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Using a 30 second, 3D full-body scan, Tailors Mark then prints a replica of the customer's body using large-scale 3D printers. The replica is then used to fit the suit, eliminating the need for ...
- XYZprinting Unveils da Vinci Color 5D 3D Printer with Included Laser Engraver and 2D Inkjet Printeron September 5, 2019 at 1:29 am
XYZprinting, which also offers a combo unit featuring 3D printing and laser engraving, in addition to 3D scanning, in its da Vinci 1.0 Pro 3-in-1, claims that this is the world’s first 3D ...
- 3D-Printed Film Scanner Brings Family Memories Back To Lifeon September 4, 2019 at 8:35 am
That was the goal of [Anton Gutscher]’s automated 8-mm film scanner. Yes ... Aside from designing and printing something like 27 custom parts, [Anton] also had a custom PCB fabricated for ...
- Get Started with 3D Scanningon August 31, 2019 at 10:14 pm
If you’re interested in 3D scanning, you’re in good company. From automotive to medical, more and more companies are adopting 3D scanning technology. According to a Markets and Markets research report ...
- FELIXprinters Will Exhibit Range of Professional 3D Printing Solutions at The TCT Show with its UK Partner S-CANon August 30, 2019 at 5:35 am
... press will be able to view FELIXprinters' Pro series of 3D printers, including the largest and most recent addition to the family, the Pro XL platform. S-CAN 3D is a professional 3D scanning, CMM ...
- Scan Dimension Offers Back-to-School Promotion: Buy a SOL 3D Scanner, Receive a Free Carrying Caseon August 30, 2019 at 3:04 am
The SOL 3D scanner is regarded as one of the easiest 3D scanners to use. Launched in April 2019 to rave reviews from 3D Printing Professor and 9to5Mac, among others, SOL is an accurate, portable, and ...
- 3D Mapping And 3D Modelling Market: Industry Outlook, Size & Forecast 2016-2022on August 26, 2019 at 3:32 am
... or through computer software or could be physically created using 3D printers. The models could be displayed using computer simulation. The data is collected via various 3D scanners and tools for ...
- Liquids to be allowed back on flights using 3D scannerson August 26, 2019 at 2:33 am
Advances in 3D scanning technology should help to reduce the longer queues associated with getting through airport security and enable passengers to carry liquids onto aircraft. The side-effects of ...
- GeoTaker 3D scanner for large objects and architectureon August 14, 2019 at 6:33 am
engineering software or 3D printing. Watch the demonstration video below to learn more about the 3D scanner created by mechanical engineer Wolfgang Beuck. Launched via Kickstarter this week early bird ...
via Bing News