Your double helix is ticking.
We can do a lot to shorten or lengthen our time on earth, from what we choose to eat, to where we choose to live. But some part of our longevity is hardwired. It’s dictated by our genes.
Scientists have discovered a human “biological clock” based on certain changes to genes, called DNA methylation. These are important for the expression and deactivation of genes, and therefore our development. By studying DNA methylation markers, the researchers found a way to predict lifespan. When people had a biological age greater than their actual age (you could be 50, but have the DNA of a typical 75-year-old), they could see they were more likely to die sooner than a person whose biological and real ages were similar.
Some DNA methylation changes are lifestyle-related, but enough are hereditary for forecasting purposes.
The Latest on: DNA Clock
via Google News
The Latest on: DNA Clock
- Researchers find how stress and the circadian clock affect sleepon November 30, 2020 at 7:18 am
Japanese researchers have found a new neural pathway that links the circadian clock, stress, and wakefulness in mammals. They identified a neuron that becomes excessively active when the mammal is ...
- The best science kit deals for Black Fridayon November 27, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Learn about how crime labs work as you match fingerprints, analyze DNA and test liquids and powders ... Amazon is offering the kit for 40% off.View Deal Green Science Potato Clock: $19.95 $13.99 at ...
- 'Molecular clock' blood test could track spread of breast canceron November 27, 2020 at 3:58 am
A blood test to watch breast cancer's 'molecular clock' could help track the growth of multiple tumours around the body and monitor how they are responding to treatment, new research suggests.
- Global Viral Vectors and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market Poised to Surge USD 1,860 Million By 2026on November 26, 2020 at 10:36 pm
The market research report titled Global Viral Vectors and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market Poised to Surge USD 1 860 Million By 2026 and published by Zion Market Research provides an insightful ...
- ‘Molecular clock’ blood test could help identify actively growing tumors in metastatic breast canceron November 26, 2020 at 9:39 pm
A blood test to watch breast cancer’s ‘molecular clock’ could help track the growth of multiple tumors around the body and monitor how they are responding to treatment, new research suggests.
- “It’s been one crazy year ” – Don Jazzy says as he clocks 38on November 25, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Jazzy co-founded the now defunct record label Mo’ Hits Records in 2004. Following its closure, he sets up Mavin Records on 8 May, 2012. Mavin has produced artistes like Tiwa Savage, Reekado Banks, ...
- Astronauts experience these key changes in space that could impact their health, new research showson November 25, 2020 at 8:01 am
Scientists have gathered the largest set of data about space biology to date based on astronauts, mice and insects that have flown on the space station to better understand what happens to the human ...
- Alternative gene control mechanism based on organization of DNA within nucleuson November 20, 2020 at 4:11 am
Researchers at the University of Tokyo have identified how the architecture of the cell nucleus can change gene activity in plants. This discovery reveals fundamental knowledge about genome regulation ...
- Study: Alternative gene control mechanism based on organization of DNA within nucleus (TDnews)on November 20, 2020 at 2:59 am
Researchers at the University of Tokyo have confirmed that crowded nuclei proteins (CRWN1-3) support the oval shape of plant cell nuclei and also have a role in regulating the expression… view more ...
- It’s time to talk about epigenetic clockson November 19, 2020 at 7:06 am
In this blog, we explore what epigenetic clocks are and their current and potential future applications in human health and disease.
via Bing News