Your double helix is ticking.
We can do a lot to shorten or lengthen our time on earth, from what we choose to eat, to where we choose to live. But some part of our longevity is hardwired. It’s dictated by our genes.
Scientists have discovered a human “biological clock” based on certain changes to genes, called DNA methylation. These are important for the expression and deactivation of genes, and therefore our development. By studying DNA methylation markers, the researchers found a way to predict lifespan. When people had a biological age greater than their actual age (you could be 50, but have the DNA of a typical 75-year-old), they could see they were more likely to die sooner than a person whose biological and real ages were similar.
Some DNA methylation changes are lifestyle-related, but enough are hereditary for forecasting purposes.
The Latest on: DNA Clock
via Google News
The Latest on: DNA Clock
- As coronavirus pandemic spikes orange juice sales, a Florida citrus grower gets squeezedon May 12, 2020 at 5:11 pm
The Florida orange juice industry has long been shrinking. Now a pandemic-spurred thirst for juice has become a blessing and a curse.
- The Bioeconomy Throws its Efforts Behind Health Careon May 12, 2020 at 9:23 am
Our entire economy has been consumed by coronavirus—including and perhaps especially the bioeconomy. It seems obvious that health biotechnologists across the world have ramped up their work; sometimes ...
- Remothered: Broken Porcelain Previewon May 12, 2020 at 6:04 am
Broken Porcelain you play as 15 year old Jennifer, a young maid at the Ashmann Inn who’s begun to discover the true horrors that go on behind closed doors. The connection to its predecessor feels ...
- Multiple Ohio prison deaths include inmate arguing innocenceon May 11, 2020 at 8:47 am
Ohio prison inmate Carlos Ridley, four decades into a life sentence for a triple slaying, was awaiting a court ruling this month he hoped would help him prove innocence through DNA testing. On Monday, ...
- Dr Sid drops “The Interesting EP” as Mavin Records clocks 8 yearson May 10, 2020 at 2:50 am
Nigerian singer and Mavin artiste, Sidney Esiri also known as Dr Sid has released his long-awaited EP titled “The Interesting EP” on Friday, May 8, 2020. I ...
- A DNA methylation clock associated with age-related illnesses and mortality is accelerated in men with combat PTSDon May 7, 2020 at 9:35 am
DNA methylation patterns at specific cytosine-phosphate-guanine (CpG) sites predictably change with age and can be used to derive “epigenetic age”, an indicator of biological ...
- Wizkid's first babymama excited as her son Tife is about to clock 9on May 4, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Wizkid’s first son, Boulwatife, is about to clock 9. The singer’s first babymama and mother of his child, Shola Ogudu took to Twitter to gush over the him.
- 21 and me: How the DNA of parenting changes with timeon April 24, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Sure, I said. We watched three episodes and stayed up for an hour talking about it. When I yawned, Sawyer glanced at the clock. "Go to bed, Mom," he said. "It's late." ...
- Researchers uncover importance of aligning biological clocks with day-night cycleson April 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
In the new study, the researchers identified the DNA uptake machinery in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus and discovered that the internal circadian clocks in their cells prevent DNA uptake ...
- State-of-the-art military tech -- 'rapid DNA' -- is used to ID victims of California dive boat fireon September 4, 2019 at 3:55 pm
As the clock ... of DNA, testing samples in less than two hours using portable ‘all-in-one’ instruments,” Mehul Anjaria, a Los Angeles-based forensic DNA specialist, told Fox News.
via Bing News