Shorter take-offs and landings for aircraft, and better manoeuvreabilty for UAVs are just two of the possible benefits of an EU-supported breakthrough in propulsion technology.
The vector thrust system developed by the ACHEON project is capable of directing the flow and pressure output of an aircraft engine to control its direction using a special nozzle that does not require additional mechanical moving parts, thus overcoming the main limitations of traditional vector thrust technologies, which are both complex and costly.
The project involved six universities and two research organisations from across the EU, including a team at Lincoln University’s school of engineering, which was responsible for evaluating the technology and its potential integration within aircraft. The research was funded by the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission, which supports projects starting from academia that have promising potential industrial applications.
The nozzle’s design is based on two technologies; the HOMER nozzle concept by University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy, and PEACE – Plasma Enhanced Actuator for Coanda Effect – that enhances the effects of the nozzle, created by University of Beira Interior, Portugal.
The Lincoln team evaluated the technology for a number of potential applications, including an umanned aerial vehicle (UAV), a vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) military type application and both a large and small passenger transport aircraft.
As well as looking at the aerospace sector, the team is now evaluating how the nozzle technology could be used in other industrial applications, such as in the agricultural sector, where this could help farmers develop closer control of the areas sprayed with weedkiller. It could also be used to develop more accurate printing processes.
The Latest on: Vector thrust system
via Google News
The Latest on: Vector thrust system
- NASA successfully tests Orion launch abort system before moon flightson July 2, 2019 at 10:40 am
Officials hailed an action-packed three-minute test flight Tuesday over Cape Canaveral that exercised the Orion spacecraft’s launch abort rocket, a key safety system on the capsule NASA is ... […]
- Upcoming Forecast Report on Thrust Vector Control System (TVC) Market Reveals Key Growth Driver for 2019-2025 Period: Garner Insightson June 20, 2019 at 3:56 am
Jun 20, 2019 (marketresearchupdates.com via COMTEX) -- The Thrust Vector Control System (TVC) market report published by Garner Insights, analysis the market overview considering the latest trends, ... […]
- Detailed flightdeck insight into fate of crashed Superjeton June 14, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Further flight till the moment of the glideslope capture was performed by means of vectoring ... as before that the thrust reverser system was engaged (the reverser doors were in the open position ... […]
- Oriole TVC ballistic missile targets support Exercise ‘Formidable Shield 2019’on June 14, 2019 at 5:19 am
Kratos Defense & Security Solutions has revealed successful first flights of its Guided Oriole rocket system with thrust vector control (TVC) as part of NATO Exercise 'Formidable Shield 2019'. The ... […]
- NASA F-18 HARV makes final flighton June 11, 2019 at 9:32 am
Phase two flights began in the summer of 1991 using TVCS (Thrust Vectoring Control System). Thrust vectoring was installed to provide much higher levels of maneuverability at high angles of attack ... […]
- Thrust Vector Control System (TVC) Market – Size, Share, Segments, Outlook, and Opportunity Analysis For Period 2019-2023on April 8, 2019 at 1:30 am
Thrust Vector Control System (TVC) Market Overview: Sample the market data and market information presented through more than 60 market data tables and 40 figures spread over 115 pages. Avail of an in ... […]
- EJ200 thrust vectoring backedon March 4, 2019 at 9:36 pm
A study by DaimlerChrysler Aerospace (Dasa)has identified significant performance improvements that could be achieved with the Eurofighter by installing ITP-developed thrust-vectoring nozzles ... ... […]
- BAE’s thrust vector controller technology achieves global milestoneon November 12, 2018 at 4:00 pm
BAE Systems Australia’s thrust vector controller technology has reached a global programme milestone by controlling the supersonic Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) as it took-off from a vessel’s ... […]
- China's New Upgrade Makes Its Fighter Jets Wildly Maneuverableon November 6, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Thrust vectoring control (TVC) turns this idea on its head ... was working on a TVC exhaust system for the single-engine fighter. A photograph of a J-10 with TVC emerged in January 2018, but no formal ... […]
- Thrust Vector Control: Worldwide Markets to 2025 by System, Technology, Application and End-Useron October 31, 2018 at 4:59 am
The "Global Thrust Vector Control Market Analysis 2018 - Forecast to 2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The report contains up to date financial data derived from varied ... […]
via Bing News