Analysis: It’s surprisingly easy to identify individuals from credit-card metadata
In this week’s issue of the journal Science, MIT researchers report that just four fairly vague pieces of information — the dates and locations of four purchases — are enough to identify 90 percent of the people in a data set recording three months of credit-card transactions by 1.1 million users.
When the researchers also considered coarse-grained information about the prices of purchases, just three data points were enough to identify an even larger percentage of people in the data set. That means that someone with copies of just three of your recent receipts — or one receipt, one Instagram photo of you having coffee with friends, and one tweet about the phone you just bought — would have a 94 percent chance of extracting your credit card records from those of a million other people. This is true, the researchers say, even in cases where no one in the data set is identified by name, address, credit card number, or anything else that we typically think of as personal information.
The paper comes roughly two years after an earlier analysis of mobile-phone records that yielded very similar results.
Read more: Privacy challenges
The Latest on: Privacy challenges
via Google News
The Latest on: Privacy challenges
- Building a more efficient, privacy-focused future with smart cities (podcast)on November 30, 2020 at 8:33 am
In this episode of Brains Byte Back, we explore what these smart cities might look like, how they will function, and how they stand to change our quality of life.
- The many elements of China challengeon November 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
China has emerged India’s largest and fastest growing trading partner during the past decade. India’s exports to China in the last financial year, 2019-20, were barely $16.6 billion, while its imports ...
- EPAM Continuum's Annual 2021 NXT Trends Report Identifies Six Major Currents of Change and the Challenges Facing Businesses in the Coming Yearon November 30, 2020 at 7:24 am
EPAM Continuum, the integrated business, experience, technology and data consulting practice of EPAM Systems, Inc. (NYSE: EPAM), today announced the release of the 2021 NXT Trends report. Compiled by ...
- Three Lakes Foundation and MATTER announce the winners of 2020 Innovation Challenge for Pulmonary Fibrosison November 30, 2020 at 6:22 am
Three Lakes Foundation and incubator hub MATTER announced the four winners of an Innovation Challenge intended to accelerate new solutions in diagnosing, treating and managing pulmonary fibrosis (PF), ...
- NHL player Evander Kane challenges Jake Paul after viral knockout victoryon November 30, 2020 at 6:10 am
After internet star Jake Paul made relatively quick work of the former NBA star Nate Robinson on Saturday night, another athlete decided to issue a ...
- U.P. religious conversion ordinance challenges Supreme Court verdictson November 30, 2020 at 5:32 am
They hold that faith, State and courts have no jurisdiction over an adult’s absolute right to choose a life partner ...
- EU pitches new post-Trump alliance with US in face of China challenge [Video]on November 30, 2020 at 12:31 am
Main calendar events to look out for this week including US Non-Farm Payrolls ( 20:05 ). - ( 25:15 ). Amplify Trading is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number 6798566.
- On Football: Getting to January a major challenge for NFL | Charlotte Observeron November 30, 2020 at 12:13 am
In every NFL season, there are losing teams who hit December and just want to get to January, get the schedule done and go home.
- COVID Exposure Notification App Faces Challenge Of ‘Human Nature’on November 29, 2020 at 2:43 pm
The app builders had planned for pranksters, ensuring that only people with verified COVID-19 cases could trigger an alert. They’d planned for heavy criticism about privacy, in many cases making the ...
- ‘The Challenge’ Stars Jordan Wiseley and Tori Deal Split After 3 Years of Datingon November 27, 2020 at 11:13 pm
The Challenge' stars Jordan Wiseley and Tori Deal got engaged over a year ago. They took to Instagram to announced their breakup after 3 years of dating.
via Bing News