An old fishing trawler has been given new life in Norway, where it’s now anchored offshore in the Stadthavet area and serving as a wave power plant.
It’s part of a project which ultimately calls for larger, purpose-built vessels to convert wave motion into electricity.
The project is being led by Norway’s Kvernevik Engineering AS, although the concept for the fishing boat conversion was first developed by Geir Arne Solheim, founder of wave power company (and project partner) Havkraft AS.
The vessel incorporates an existing system known as the “fluctuating water column” concept. It has four vertical chambers installed in its bow, which the surrounding sea water can flow in and out of. Each chamber is capped by a connected turbine, located on the boat’s deck.
As waves hit the vessel, they flow up into the chambers, causing the water level inside each one to rise. This in turn causes the air pressure in the top part of the chamber to increase, thus driving the turbine and generating electricity. Likewise, as the water flows back out of the chamber, the lowered air pressure sucks air in through the turbine, again causing it to spin.
The effects of both the inward and outward flow of water is accentuated by the boat itself, as it pitches up and down in the waves. A special anchoring system ensures the vessel is always facing into the oncoming waves.
The Latest on: Wave power
via Google News
The Latest on: Wave power
- Do Not Put Ocean Power Technologies Stock in Your 401kon January 31, 2020 at 4:00 am
it is a renewable energy company that provides an uninterruptible power supply by harvesting energy from the waves. But, the problem with wave energy is that it’s a lot more expensive than wind and ...
- Tidal Energy Market May Set New Growth Story : Aquamarine Power, Carnegie Wave Energy, Pelamis Wave Poweron January 23, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Some of the players profiled/ part of study coverage are Aquamarine Power ltd, Carnegie Wave Energy Ltd., Pelamis Wave Power Ltd., Tenax Energy, S.D.E. Energy Ltd., AquaGen Technologies, Atlantis ...
- Pioneering wave power device anointed market-ready by LRon January 17, 2020 at 1:29 am
Finnish ocean energy developer AW-Energy has received certification from Lloyd’s Register (LR) for its WaveRoller device, anointing the pioneering technology as market-ready and giving a shot ...
- wave poweron January 13, 2020 at 4:00 pm
It’d be fantastic if this could change. If you believe the owners of Oscilla Power, the main failing of traditional wave-power generators is that they’ve got too many moving parts. Literally.
- The dynamics of wave energyon January 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
These functions include a captor which collects energy from the oscillatory motion of waves, power take-off equipment which converts mechanical energy into electricity, and an anchoring system which ...
- Marine Power (Wave and Tidal) Market Latest Advancement And New Upcoming Trends To 2029on January 3, 2020 at 11:50 pm
Jan 04, 2020 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- An extensive and elaborate primary research on Global Marine Power (Wave and Tidal) Market report sheds light on numerous facets such as growth factors ...
- Wave power station plan wins islanders' supporton December 31, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Just days after ministers refused permission for a giant wind farm on the island of Lewis, an application has been received for a major new wave power station on the west of the island.
- Gibraltar to experiment with a wave-power alternative energy projecton December 29, 2019 at 4:39 pm
The system works with uniquely shaped buoys to capture and convert wave energy into low cost clean electricity The Government of Gibraltar has signed its first power purchase agreement for the ...
- Buenos Aires Swelters Amid Heat Wave, Power Outageson December 22, 2019 at 4:00 pm
BUENOS AIRES – A blistering heat wave, power outages and a fuel shortage added up Tuesday to a second day of hellish conditions in Greater Buenos Aires, home to about a quarter of Argentina’s ...
- Will you beat the heat or relent? California heat wave taxes power gridon December 19, 2019 at 4:00 pm
It's all taxing on the power grid, so a statewide alert has been sounded. California's electricity grid operator issued a Flex Alert yesterday that will last through today, but wasn't expected to ...
via Bing News