The new method has the potential to reduce the costs of long-distance optical fibre communications as signals wouldn’t need to be electronically boosted on their journey, which is important when the cables are buried underground or at the bottom of the ocean.
As the technique can correct the transmitted data if they are corrupted or distorted on the journey, it could also help to increase the useful capacity of fibres. This is done right at the end of the link, at the receiver, without having to introduce new components within the link itself. Increasing capacity in this way is important as optical fibres carry 99% of all data and demand is rising with increased use of the internet, which can’t be matched by the fibres’ current capacity, and changing the receivers is far cheaper and easier than re-laying cables.
To cope with this increased demand, more information is being sent using the existing fibre infrastructure with different frequencies of light creating the data signals. The large number of light signals being sent can interact with each other and distort, causing the data to be received with errors.
The study, published in Scientific Reports today and sponsored by the EPSRC, reports a new way of improving the transmission distance, by undoing the interactions that occur between different optical channels as they travel side-by-side over an optical cable.
One of the biggest global challenges we face is how to maintain communications with demand for the Internet booming – overcoming the capacity limits of optical fibres cables is a large part of solving that problem.Professor Polina Bayvel
Study author Dr Robert Maher (UCL Electronic & Electrical Engineering), said: “By eliminating the interactions between the optical channels, we are able to double the distance signals can be transmitted error-free, from 3190km to 5890km, which is the largest increase ever reported for this system architecture. The challenge is to devise a technique to simultaneously capture a group of optical channels, known as a super-channel, with a single receiver. This allows us to undo the distortion by sending the data channels back on a virtual digital journey at the same time.”
The Latest on: Optical fibre communications
The Latest on: New Discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Optical fibre communications
- Optical Interconnect Market by Product Type, Interconnect Level, Fiber Mode, Application, End-use Industry & Region - Worldwide Forecasts to 2024on November 20, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Owing to the rapid growth of the information technology (IT) sector along with the introduction of big data analytics and Internet of Things (IoT), the demand for high data transmission and bandwidth ...
- Global Optical Fiber Optical Power Meter Market 2019: Fluke Power Quality, Thorlabs, Newport Corporation, Joinwit, NOYES, Artifex Engineeringon November 20, 2019 at 1:14 pm
The end users/applications listed in the report are: Fiber Optic Communication System, Test Equipment, Others The market across various regions is analysed in the report, including: ? North America ?
- From fiber-optic lines to 5G, it’s turbulent times for data connectivity in the Pacific Northweston November 20, 2019 at 12:18 pm
While Cascadia Gateway’s new fiber-optic line is advancing slowly through local approvals, the proposed rollout of 5G wireless technology is a much more mixed bag. In addition to that skepticism, ...
- Optical Communications Market is Expanding Due to Rising Demand for High-Speed Dataon November 20, 2019 at 1:30 am
Global Optical Communications Market, By Component (Optical Switches, Optical Transceivers, Optical Amplifiers, Optical Circulators, Optical Splitters, Optical Fibers), Technology, Synchronous Optical ...
- Fiber Optic Gyroscopes Market to Witness Study Growth through 2019-2026on November 19, 2019 at 7:48 pm
The report on Fiber Optic Gyroscopes mentions key developments and activities executed by leading ... Our inventory of research reports caters to various industry verticals including Healthcare, ...
- Kazakh, Azerbaijani PMs launch construction of fiber optic links along the bottom of Caspian Seaon November 19, 2019 at 3:15 am
The fiber-optic communication line between the two countries will be laid along the bottom of the Caspian Sea, Kazinform has learnt from the prime minister’s press service. The project is ...
- Verizon Wants to Turn Fiber Networks into Citywide Sensorson November 14, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Vehicle counts, traffic slow-downs and other pieces of data central to traffic management may one day be gleaned from a city’s fiber-optic communications network. Verizon and technology company NEC ...
- OFC 2020 Plenary: Future of optics communications, 5g innovations, astronomy's frontieron November 13, 2019 at 3:19 pm
WASHINGTON -- A trio of world-renowned researchers will be the plenary speakers for the 2020 Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exhibition (OFC), the world's largest conference and exhibition ...
- Global Fiber Optics Market Outlook to 2025: Single Mode vs Multi-mode, Glass vs Plasticon November 12, 2019 at 4:07 pm
The global fiber optics market is projected to witness significant growth over the forecast period. The increasing demand for optical communication and sensing applications for diverse purposes ...
- More fiber optic deployment in LaPorte Countyon November 8, 2019 at 7:20 am
LAPORTE COUNTY, Ind. (Inside INdiana Business) — More LaPorte County residents will be able to access high-speed fiber optic internet following infrastructure improvement. The LaPorte County Broadband ...
via Bing News