The new method has the potential to reduce the costs of long-distance optical fibre communications as signals wouldn’t need to be electronically boosted on their journey, which is important when the cables are buried underground or at the bottom of the ocean.
As the technique can correct the transmitted data if they are corrupted or distorted on the journey, it could also help to increase the useful capacity of fibres. This is done right at the end of the link, at the receiver, without having to introduce new components within the link itself. Increasing capacity in this way is important as optical fibres carry 99% of all data and demand is rising with increased use of the internet, which can’t be matched by the fibres’ current capacity, and changing the receivers is far cheaper and easier than re-laying cables.
To cope with this increased demand, more information is being sent using the existing fibre infrastructure with different frequencies of light creating the data signals. The large number of light signals being sent can interact with each other and distort, causing the data to be received with errors.
The study, published in Scientific Reports today and sponsored by the EPSRC, reports a new way of improving the transmission distance, by undoing the interactions that occur between different optical channels as they travel side-by-side over an optical cable.
One of the biggest global challenges we face is how to maintain communications with demand for the Internet booming – overcoming the capacity limits of optical fibres cables is a large part of solving that problem.Professor Polina Bayvel
Study author Dr Robert Maher (UCL Electronic & Electrical Engineering), said: “By eliminating the interactions between the optical channels, we are able to double the distance signals can be transmitted error-free, from 3190km to 5890km, which is the largest increase ever reported for this system architecture. The challenge is to devise a technique to simultaneously capture a group of optical channels, known as a super-channel, with a single receiver. This allows us to undo the distortion by sending the data channels back on a virtual digital journey at the same time.”
The Latest on: Optical fibre communications
via Google News
The Latest on: Optical fibre communications
- Gamtel launches new fibre range over National Broadband Networkon June 27, 2019 at 2:59 am
The work involved Huawei installing at least 420km of fibre-optics augmenting 947km initially deployed under the West Africa Regional Communication Infrastructure Programme (WARCIP), incorporating new ... […]
- New Woodlands Fire Department communications towers on schedule for August completionon June 26, 2019 at 11:21 pm
A project to improve the emergency communications system and network for The Woodlands ... no data interruptions due to fiber cuts or power outages that affect the fiber optic system,” Adams said. “We ... […]
- Sterlite Technologies Leads Optical Fiber Cables Market in India | TechSci Researchon June 25, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Among types, single-mode optical fiber cables are dominate the market backed by increasing number of internet-enabled devices and growing demand from IT & telecom and government sectors. Sterlite ... […]
- Radiant Communications Corporation Offers Reliable Rack Mount Patch Panels Onlineon June 25, 2019 at 8:32 am
In a world that is growing ever-more reliant on fiber optics for broadcasting and communications over traditional copper configurations, it's essential to partner with the most knowledgeable ... […]
- Fiber Optic Cables Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Strategies and Forecasts 2018 To 2026 | Credence Researchon June 25, 2019 at 2:20 am
Fiber optic cable provides a constant ... For instance, in 2017, Corning, Inc. announced the acquisition of 3M’s Communications Unit. The acquisition is completed to help Corning further ... […]
- Global Fiber Optic Cable Market Analyzed by Cable Type, Optical Fibre Type, End-user Industry, and Geography - Forecast to 2024on June 25, 2019 at 1:55 am
The fiber optic cable market is expected to ... March 2018 - Finisar Corporation, a prominent player in the optical communications module, launched the industry's first 400G QSFP-DD active optical ... […]
- Fiber Optic Components Market 2019-2024 Demand and Insights Analysis Report, Opportunities and Forthcoming Developmentson June 24, 2019 at 5:51 am
Key Players covered in Fiber Optic Components Market report are Finisar, Lumentum, Broadcom, Sumitomo Electric, Oclaro, Acacia Communications, Accelink Technologies, Emcore, Fujitsu Optical Components ... […]
- MetroNet Announces Massive Upgrade to High-Speed Fiber Optic Interneton June 24, 2019 at 5:17 am
The customer-focused company provides cutting-edge fiber optic communication services, including high-speed Fiber Internet, full-featured Fiber Phone, and Fiber IPTV with a wide variety of programming ... […]
- Optics to power Corning's new four-year growth planon June 18, 2019 at 7:03 am
Glass giant sees major adoption of fiber for 5G connectivity and hyperscale data centers driving sales and earnings. Corning’s near-$5 billion optical communications business is primed to grow rapidly ... […]
- Fiber Optic Inspection and Cleaning Kiton June 17, 2019 at 9:19 pm
... Optic Inspection & Cleaning Kit from MicroCare Corp.’s Sticklers Fibre Optic Cleaning Products provides fiber optic users or communications providers with a complete solution for all their ... […]
via Bing News