Researchers at the University of Oxford have reached a new milestone in networking by using light fidelity (Li-Fi) to achieve bi-directional speeds of 224 gigabits per second (Gbps).
To put this in perspective, 100Gbps fibre optic core networks have only become a reality in recent years and have yet to become ubiquitous.
Li-Fi is still a long way from being used commercially, but by way of illustration, using a 224Gbps speed would technically allow for 18 movies of 1.5GB each to be downloaded in a single second.
The technology is being developed as a potential alternative to Wi-Fi, and because it uses visible light spectrum to transmit data, when coupled with a high-speed fibre internet connection, researchers believe this can offer speeds far greater than those attained by existing contemporary Wi-Fi technology (600Mbps).
The research, published in the journal Photonics Technology Letter, details how the specialised broadcast LEDs and receivers operate with different fields of view and bands that affect the data transmission speeds.
“The link operates over ~3 m range at 224 Gb/s (6 x 37.4 Gb/s) and 112 Gb/s (3 x 37.4 Gb/s) with a wide field of view (FOV) of 60° and 36°, respectively. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of a wireless link of this type with a FOV that offers practical room-scale coverage,” the report states.
A ‘brighter future’
The emerging technology has the potential to provide low-cost wireless internet more securely in localised areas, given that light is unable to pass through walls.
The Latest on: LiFi
via Google News
The Latest on: LiFi
- Light Rider Unveils Quantum LiFi Technology to Create Next-Generation Network Securityon October 6, 2020 at 6:24 am
Powered by quantum technologies, Light Rider launches first two products to put quantum grade encryption into anyone’s hands Light Rider Inc., a quantum LiFi company, today debuted its first two ...
- Light Rider Unveils Quantum LiFi Technology to Create Next-Generation Network Securityon October 6, 2020 at 5:27 am
Light Rider Inc., a quantum LiFi company, today debuted its first two quantum encryption products poised to revolutionize network security for businesses and individuals. The company is the first ...
- Light Rider Unveils Quantum LiFi Technology to Create Next-Generation Network Securityon October 6, 2020 at 5:11 am
COLUMBIA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Light Rider Inc., a quantum LiFi company, today debuted its first two quantum encryption products poised to revolutionize network security for businesses and ...
- Perovskite light-emitting/detecting bifunctional fibers for wearable LiFi communicationon September 23, 2020 at 6:37 am
In this context, the targeted design of wearable LiFi with the merits of portable, conformability, safe and high-speed wireless communications will have boundless prospects in IoT terminals.
- Lab-Based “Li-Fi” Link Exceeds 7 Gb/s Using Blue Micro LEDon September 22, 2020 at 6:19 am
2). While the Light Communications Alliance (created in 2019) is intended to encourage the industry to implement standardization and promote interoperability between LiFi systems from different ...
- Lifi (Light Fidelity) Technology Marketon September 4, 2020 at 7:44 am
Global Lifi (Light Fidelity) Technology Market Research Report', the report is complete with an elaborate research undertaken by prominent analysts and a detailed analysis of the global industry ...
- Lighting experts explore applications for OLED, LiFi, and laser diodeson September 3, 2020 at 5:01 pm
They’re watching the progress and acceptance of certain technologies, like LiFi, or light fidelity, a form of visible light communications that, in tandem with radio frequency technology, conveys ...
- Moving Lights Market Worldwide 2020: Market Dynamics and Trends, Efficiencies Forecast 2026on August 30, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Aug 31, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- Global “Moving Lights Market” Market study report covers the global and ...
- Signify NVon September 24, 2019 at 7:36 am
Signify And EDZCOM To Partner For LiFi Solutions, Branded Trulifi Aug 27 (Reuters) - SIGNIFY NV ::SIGNIFY AND EDZCOM ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP TO ACCELERATE LIFI ADOPTION IN THE ...
via Bing News