Researchers at the University of Oxford have reached a new milestone in networking by using light fidelity (Li-Fi) to achieve bi-directional speeds of 224 gigabits per second (Gbps).
To put this in perspective, 100Gbps fibre optic core networks have only become a reality in recent years and have yet to become ubiquitous.
Li-Fi is still a long way from being used commercially, but by way of illustration, using a 224Gbps speed would technically allow for 18 movies of 1.5GB each to be downloaded in a single second.
The technology is being developed as a potential alternative to Wi-Fi, and because it uses visible light spectrum to transmit data, when coupled with a high-speed fibre internet connection, researchers believe this can offer speeds far greater than those attained by existing contemporary Wi-Fi technology (600Mbps).
The research, published in the journal Photonics Technology Letter, details how the specialised broadcast LEDs and receivers operate with different fields of view and bands that affect the data transmission speeds.
“The link operates over ~3 m range at 224 Gb/s (6 x 37.4 Gb/s) and 112 Gb/s (3 x 37.4 Gb/s) with a wide field of view (FOV) of 60° and 36°, respectively. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of a wireless link of this type with a FOV that offers practical room-scale coverage,” the report states.
A ‘brighter future’
The emerging technology has the potential to provide low-cost wireless internet more securely in localised areas, given that light is unable to pass through walls.
The Latest on: LiFi
via Google News
The Latest on: LiFi
- Signify exploring new industry verticals in 2020on January 24, 2020 at 5:41 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 25 -- Signify, a world leader in lighting, is focusing on sustainable lighting solutions and exploring new industry verticals specifically in horticulture and LiFi (Light Fidelity) ...
- InterDigital Announces Participation in New 5G-CLARITY Project for Future Private Networkson January 24, 2020 at 11:16 am
WILMINGTON, Del., Jan. 24, 2020 -- InterDigital Inc. (NASDAQ:IDCC), a mobile and video technology research and development company, today announced that its subsidiary,.
- Signify exploring new vertical industries in 2020on January 23, 2020 at 1:49 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 25 -- Signify, a world leader in lighting, is focusing on sustainable lighting solutions and exploring new vertical industries specifically in horticulture and LiFi (Light Fidelity) ...
- TDK Ventures invests in GaN laser light pioneer SLD Laseron January 22, 2020 at 5:26 am
TDK Ventures makes third investment from $50 million fund in SLD Laser, a GaN materials pioneer commercializing the next generation of visible laser light sources for automotive, mobility, medical, ...
- Smart Lighting Market Study: An Introduction to Fundamental Chartingon January 14, 2020 at 3:36 am
and Lifi Labs Inc. (Australia) Click to get Global Smart Lighting Market Research Sample PDF Copy Here @: https://www.advancemarketanalytics.com/sample-report/69639-global-smart-lighting-market-1 ...
- Line 6 AMP LIFi TT with FVB Express MKIIon January 6, 2020 at 9:48 am
This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition ...
- Light Fidelity (LiFi) Market Size, Share 2020, Growth Outlook, Trends, Industry Top Players, Regional Forecast To 2029on January 3, 2020 at 10:04 pm
An extensive and elaborate primary research on Global Light Fidelity (LiFi) Market report sheds light on numerous facets such as growth factors, statistical growth, business enhancement strategies, ...
- LiFi-multicell At CES 2020: The World’s First Smart Orchestrator for Interference-free LiFi Networkson December 19, 2019 at 5:42 am
GRENOBLE, France--(BUSINESS WIRE)--LiFi, or visible-light communication, has significant advantages over WiFi, such as data-transmission speed and the data security it offers because light does ...
- LiFi-multicell At CES 2020: The World’s First Smart Orchestrator for Interference-free LiFi Networkson December 19, 2019 at 4:49 am
LiFi, or visible-light communication, has significant advantages over WiFi, such as data-transmission speed and the data security it offers because light does not penetrate walls. But wide ...
- pureLiFi Completes $18M Series B to Deliver LiFi Components to Mass Market Device Manufacturerson November 12, 2019 at 1:26 am
EDINBURGH, Scotland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--pureLiFi, the leading LiFi technology company today announces it has completed a $18M Series B fundraise to provide LiFi technology to mass-market mobile ...
via Bing News