Cells could be exploited to treat osteoarthritis and osteoporosis
A stem cell capable of regenerating both bone and cartilage has been identified in bone marrow of mice. The discovery by researchers at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) is reported today in the online issue of the journal Cell.
The cells, called osteochondroreticular (OCR) stem cells, were discovered by tracking a protein expressed by the cells. Using this marker, the researchers found that OCR cells self-renew and generate key bone and cartilage cells, including osteoblasts and chondrocytes. Researchers also showed that OCR stem cells, when transplanted to a fracture site, contribute to bone repair.
“We are now trying to figure out whether we can persuade these cells to specifically regenerate after injury. If you make a fracture in the mouse, these cells will come alive again, generate both bone and cartilage in the mouse—and repair the fracture. The question is, could this happen in humans,” says Siddhartha Mukherjee, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at CUMC and a senior author of the study.
The researchers believe that OCR stem cells will be found in human bone tissue, as mice and humans have similar bone biology. Further study could provide greater understanding of how to prevent and treat osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, or bone fractures.
“Our findings raise the possibility that drugs or other therapies can be developed to stimulate the production of OCR stem cells and improve the body’s ability to repair bone injury—a process that declines significantly in old age,” says Timothy C. Wang, MD, the Dorothy L. and Daniel H. Silberberg Professor of Medicine at CUMC, who initiated this research. Previously, Dr. Wang found an analogous stem cell in the intestinal tract and observed that it was also abundant in the bone.
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
- What’s New In Treating Chronic Back Pain? Doctors Investigate Stem Cell Therapyon April 9, 2020 at 7:13 am
Spine and pain management specialist Jason Arora says that using a patient’s blood plasma, which is rich in antibodies, enzymes and proteins, or stem cells, harvested from a patient’s bone marrow are ...
- Stempeutics ties up with a consortium of stem cell firms for end-stage Covid-19 treatmenton April 8, 2020 at 8:08 pm
We have been exploring opportunities to conduct a clinical trial in India on Covid-19 using our MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells: multipotent stem cells found in the bone marrow that are important for ...
- More Coronavirus Vaccine Efforts Move Toward Human Trialson April 8, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Of course, many companies are also struggling with ways to partner with manufacturing ventures to produce enough vaccine so that it would be widely available. White blood cells that act like scouts ...
- Soft extracellular matrix enhances inflammatory activation of mesenchymal stromal cells to induce monocyte production and traffickingon April 8, 2020 at 11:59 am
Mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) in bone marrow (BM) consist of different subpopulations with multiple biological functions, including multipotent differentiation (1), maintenance of hematopoietic ...
- Be The Match Launches #Couch2Cure Social Media Movement to Meet Urgent Demand for Marrow or Blood Stem Cell Transplantson April 7, 2020 at 1:30 pm
As millions of Americans stay home and practice social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, Be The Match is encouraging the community to make good use of their downtime and raise awareness of ...
- Syrian dad in UAE seeks help as baby has to fly out to Delhi for bone marrow transplanton April 6, 2020 at 2:27 am
Dubai: The parents of an eight-month-old baby is appealing for help from UAE residents to be able to facilitate a stem cell treatment using a bone-marrow transplant. Baby Michael Alhana Ziadah, one of ...
- Nurse’s life-saving stem cell transplant leaves her with an addiction to Monster Munch – just like her donoron April 4, 2020 at 2:30 pm
A NURSE’s life-saving stem cell transplant caused her to inherit her donor’s addiction for pickled onion ... The mystery was solved when she met donor Keely Jackson, 37, whose bone marrow was matched ...
- Covid-19 affects stem cell donationon April 1, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Dr Sunil Bhat, senior consultant in paediatric hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplantation at Narayana Health City said in a release that, “The pandemic has posed a lot of challenges for ...
- Stem Cells, Nerves Found to Interact in Cancer Progressionon March 31, 2020 at 6:47 am
They also demonstrate that cancer steam cells likewise establish contacts with nerves. Stem cells can generate a variety of specific tissues that are increasingly being used for clinical application, ...
- Curtability and transferability of atopy with allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantationon March 30, 2020 at 9:14 am
Immunoglobulin E levels following allogeneic, autologous, and syngeneic bone marrow transplantation: an indirect association between hyperproduction and acute graft-v-host disease in allogeneic BMT.
via Bing News