To halt climate change, the world desperately needs advances in clean energy. But in recent years, Silicon Valley, the nation’s engine for technical innovation, has turned its back on investments in the field.
Now, even as the world grows hotter, young scientists with fresh ideas about energy technology are finding it increasingly difficult to find venture capital to get them off the ground.
“The V.C. model isn’t working,” said Horst Simon, the deputy director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
But scientists at the lab may have found a better way to support entrepreneurial scientists who once depended on venture capital.
Clean energy investments were briefly a fad among Silicon Valley venture capital firms, peaking in the second quarter of 2010 at more than $820 million. But V.C.s soon learned that investing in unproven “hard” energy technologies was not as quickly lucrative as backing social networking and smartphone apps. By the third quarter of last year, venture investment in industrial energy technologies had declined to $209 million.
Many clean energy technologies require prolonged support to grow, Curt Carlson, a physicist and former president of SRI International, said, adding: “V.C.s hate that. They want to put in a slug of money and then have it scale itself, without having to put in a billion dollars.”
Solyndra, a promising maker of solar panels, was a spectacular failure, driven into bankruptcy in 2013 by Chinese competition after obtaining $536 million in Department of Energy loan guarantees. But it was hardly the only flameout: The valley’s venture capitalists backed a disappointing array of energy start-ups, including battery makers A123 and Ener1, Fisker Automotive, and Abound Solar, a maker of thin-film solar panels.
As interest cooled among V.C.s, energy entrepreneurs struggled to find support for ambitious ideas. Ilan Gur, a materials scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and veteran of several clean energy start-ups, observed the experience of two Stanford physics graduate students with a new idea for more efficient solar technology.
“They got laughed out of every V.C. on Sand Hill Road,” he said. “People told them: ‘Are you crazy? An early-stage materials investment in solar?’ ”
Read more: An Incubator for Innovation
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
via Google News
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
- Entrepreneurship Ministry, JEA to exchange expertise on innovation in engineering fieldon June 28, 2020 at 1:58 am
AMMAN — The Jordan Engineers Association (JEA) last Wednesday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship to exchange expertise in areas that ...
- Ryerson University's New Incubator Is for Legal Tech Startups Ready for the Next Stepon June 26, 2020 at 7:25 am
A global pandemic won't stop legal tech innovation, Ryerson University hopes. The Toronto university launched its third legal tech incubator program and joins a growing list of organizations aiming to ...
- Ford launches tech incubator project in Detroit, gives construction updateon June 26, 2020 at 3:01 am
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is bringing in Brooklyn, N.Y.-based Newlab, a tech-focused incubator company, to run two mobility innovation spaces on its emerging campus in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood.
- Ryerson’s DMZ looking to raise $1 million to expand Black Innovation Fellowshipon June 24, 2020 at 11:39 am
The Black Innovation Fellowship, a program that provides Black tech founders with entrepreneurial opportunities, is gearing up for a $1 million expansion.
- New virtual incubator can catalyze early-stage drug discovery and developmenton June 24, 2020 at 7:41 am
Samsara BioCapital, a leading life sciences investment firm, Evotec SE, a global drug discovery alliance and development partnership company (Frankfurt Stock Exchange: EVT, MDAX/TecDAX, ISIN: ...
- CENS Materials, a Portfolio Company of INCUBIT, Elbit Systems' Deep-tech Incubator, Raises $1.5 Millionon June 24, 2020 at 5:19 am
CENS Materials, a portfolio company of Incubit Ventures completed an investment round of $1.5 million, led by the UK based investor ...
- HRD minister launches YUKTI 2.0 to identify incubators’ ideas relevant for coronavirus pandemicon June 23, 2020 at 9:30 pm
While addressing the participants Pokhriyal said that YUKTI 2.0 is logical extension of earlier version of ‘YUKTI’, an initiative of MHRD, to identify ideas relevant in COVID pandemic. He also ...
- Pasco County opens third business incubator to connect entrepreneurson June 23, 2020 at 12:32 pm
The SMARTstart program, which is through the Pasco County EDC, announced it will open the incubator this fall.
- Digital mental healthcare provider launches collaborative innovation incubatoron June 23, 2020 at 10:30 am
Digital mental healthcare provider IBH launched an innovation incubator June 23, focusing on improving the delivery and quality of behavioral health services. The incubator, named "Dysruption," will ...
- SeaAhead and New England Aquarium Announce Launch of BlueSwell Incubator Programon June 18, 2020 at 6:00 am
SeaAhead, Inc. and the New England Aquarium have announced the launch of the BlueSwell Incubator Program (BlueSwell), New England's ...
via Bing News