A little nickel does it.
A LOT of tosh is talked about “nanotechnology”, much of it designed to separate unwary investors from their hard-earned cash. This does not mean, though, that controlling the structure of things at the level of nanometres (billionths of a metre) is unimportant. In materials science it is vital, as a paper just published in Nature, by Hansoo Kim and his colleagues at the Pohang University of Science and Technology, in South Korea, demonstrates. By manipulating the structure of steel on a nanometre scale, Dr Kim has produced a material which has the strength and the lightness of titanium alloys but will, when produced at scale, cost a tenth as much.
Steel is useful because it is strong and cheap. But it is also heavy. It has, therefore, always been useless for applications such as aircraft. In a world that demands the ever-more efficient use of fuel in motor cars and lorries, it is now falling out of favour there, too. According to Dr Kim, the share by weight of steel in an average light vehicle fell from 68.1% in 1995 to 60.1% in 2011.
The obvious way out of this is to alloy steel with a lighter metal. And the obvious one to choose is aluminium, which is, like iron (steel’s principal component), cheap and abundant. An alloy of iron, aluminium and carbon (steel’s other essential ingredient) is too brittle to be useful. Adding manganese helps a bit, but not enough for aluminium-steel to be used in vehicles.
Dr Kim and his colleagues have, however, found that a fifth ingredient, nickel, overcomes this problem.
The Latest on: Iron aluminum alloy
via Google News
The Latest on: Iron aluminum alloy
- Supporting industries leading automakers towards successon March 23, 2020 at 5:12 pm
Vietnam is striving to successfully build up its automobile industry. Vu Tan Cong, deputy general director of Vietnam Automobile Industry and Trade Consulting Co., Ltd., writes about how to develop ...
- Electrical Steel Market to Exhibit 8% CAGR Through 2029; Demand for Iron Loss Reduction in HEV Motors Drives Growth, Finds Fact.MRon March 18, 2020 at 5:21 pm
Electrical steel is finding widespread use in diverse automotive applications as they are capable of better torque and flux density levels in modern motor cores for electric and hybrid vehicles.
- FactMR: Electrical Steel Market to Exhibit 8% CAGR Through 2029; Demand for Iron Loss Reduction in HEV Motors Drives Growth, Finds Fact.MRon March 18, 2020 at 6:32 am
Upsurge in automobile production and the incorporation of alloys, silicon, and aluminum would be the key growth drivers ... Increasing usage of electric and hybrid automobiles, and the resultant ...
- Common Roof Anchoring for Temporary Swing Stage Scaffoldingon March 17, 2020 at 12:04 pm
The other end of the hook has an iron ring attached through a forged hole ... These beams may be made from steel or some type of aluminum alloy. They can come in either one-piece, spliced sections, or ...
- Profile: Hind Aluminium Industries Ltd (HAIL.BO)on March 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Hind Aluminium Industries Limited is engaged ... is involved in the business of iron ore and bauxite. The Company manufactures aluminum wire rods, alloy rods, all aluminum conductors (AAC ...
- Wholesale price inflation lower at 2.26% in Februaryon March 16, 2020 at 7:33 am
coils and sheets (including narrow strip), pig iron, silicomanganese, steel cables, other ferro alloys, angles, channels, sections, steel (coated/not), stainless steel tubes and ferromanganese.
- Renewables/GOES MMI: Tesla in talks to use cobalt-free batterieson March 12, 2020 at 2:12 pm
“The statement went on to say as a result of using CATL’s lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) batteries, Tesla would be able to substantially lower the cost of those cars using the alternative battery ...
- Is this the magic metal of the future?on March 12, 2020 at 1:06 pm
We do the sintering at a much lower temperature. It takes less heat than if you’re working with iron or steel or aluminum, and it’s faster. “One of the alloys we’re working with right now has the ...
- Gray Iron Nonferrous Metals and Alloyson March 5, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Gray Iron Specialty / Other Types: Controlled / Low Expansion Alloy; Amorphous / Glassy Alloy; Soft Magnetic Alloy; Alloy; CladBimetal; LightAlloy; Superalloy; Pure, Unalloyed or Very Low Alloy ...
- Alloy Sputtering Targets Market Opportunity Assessment and Investment Feasibility Analysis till 2025on March 4, 2020 at 4:55 am
Advance Market Analytics recently introduced Global Alloy Sputtering Targets Market study with in-depth overview, describing about the Product / Industry Scope and elaborates market outlook and status ...
via Bing News