Scalable model supports patient-specific treatments, advanced study of blood disorders
A team led by researchers at Tufts University School of Engineering and the University of Pavia has reported development of the first three-dimensional tissue system that reproduces the complex structure and physiology of human bone marrow and successfully generates functional human platelets. Using a biomaterial matrix of porous silk, the new system is capable of producing platelets for future clinical use and also provides a laboratory tissue system to advance study of blood platelet diseases.
“There are many diseases where platelet production or function is impaired,” says Alessandra Balduini, M.D., research associate professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Tufts, associate professor at the Department of Molecular Medicine at the University of Pavia and co-corresponding author on the paper. “New insight into the formation of platelets would have a major impact on patients and healthcare. In this tissue system, we can culture patient-derived megakaryocytes — the bone marrow cells that make platelets — and also endothelial cells, which are found in bone marrow and promote platelet production, to design patient-specific drug administration regimes.”
The new system can also provide an in vitro laboratory tissue system with which to study mechanisms of blood disease and to predict efficacy of new drugs–providing a more precise and less costly alternative to in vivo animal models.
The Latest on: 3D tissue system
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D tissue system
- 3D Cell Culture Market, 2026 - Increasing Usage in Diagnostic Centers, Hospitals, Pharmaceutical, and Biotech Companieson November 26, 2020 at 2:00 am
The "3D Cell Culture Market by Product, by Application, by End-User, by Geography - Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast up ...
- 3D Cell Culture Market 2020 Research, Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply and Consumption Analysis 2026on November 25, 2020 at 8:00 am
The 3D Cell Culture Market report provides an in-depth analysis of the Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals during the ...
- Global 3D Cell Culture Industryon November 25, 2020 at 6:40 am
The global market for 3D Cell Culture is projected to reach US$2.3 billion by the year 2027, trailing a post COVID-19 CAGR of 13.7% over the analysis period 2020 through 2027. A 3D-Cell Culture is an ...
- Qualitative Analysis: Tissue Diagnostics Market – Future Growth, Verticals, Segmentation & Forecast to 2027on November 24, 2020 at 2:43 am
Research Dive :The COVID-19 pandemic is anticipated to impact the global tissue diagnostics market in an optimistic way. The ISH technology segment has a higher growth rate in the forecast period. The ...
- Barrington students rave about new 3D technology in anatomy classon November 23, 2020 at 3:29 am
Students at Barrington High School have a new, fancy tool to study anatomy and physiology: a high-tech "virtual cadaver" that allows for an up-close, in-depth view of the human body.
- New Tool for Surgeons: 3D Bioprinted Hearton November 22, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Professor of Biomedical Engineering Adam Feinberg and his team have created the first full-size 3D bioprinted human heart model using their Freeform Reversible Embedding of Suspended Hydrogels (FRESH) ...
- 3D bioprinted heart provides new tool for surgeonson November 18, 2020 at 9:06 am
Surgeons will soon have a powerful new tool for planning and practice with the creation of the first full-sized 3D bioprinted model of the human heart.
- New protein imaging method paves way for next generation biomaterials and tissue analysison November 17, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Scientists have established a new method to image proteins that could lead to new discoveries in disease through biological tissue and cell analysis and the development of new biomaterials that can be ...
- 3D Systems Receives FDA Clearance for Vantage® Ankle PSI – Expands VSP® Surgical Planning Applications in Partnership with Exactechon November 17, 2020 at 6:07 am
Vantage PSI The Vantage Ankle PSI is used exclusively with the Vantage Total Ankle System and provides patient-specific surgical planning and 3D printed instruments for tibia and talar resections.
- 3D Systems Receives FDA Clearance for Vantage® Ankle PSI – Expands VSP® Surgical Planning ...on November 17, 2020 at 5:32 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 3D S ystems (NYSE:DDD) today announced the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has provided 510 (k) clearance for the Vantage® Ankle PSI - its patient-specific total ankle surgical ...
via Bing News