UAlberta researchers solve heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker.
In a world first, researchers in the Computer Poker Research Group at the University of Alberta have essentially solved heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker with their program, called Cepheus.
“Poker has been a challenge problem for artificial intelligence going back over 40 years, and until now, heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker was unsolved,” says Michael Bowling, lead author and professor in the Faculty of Science, whose findings were published Jan. 9 in the journal Science.
For more than a half-century, games have been test beds for new ideas in artificial intelligence. The resulting successes have marked significant milestones, from IBM’s Deep Blue defeating world champion Garry Kasparov in chess and Watson beating top-earning Jeopardy! champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter.
But as Bowling points out, defeating top human players is not the same as actually solving a game—especially a game like poker.
The challenge of imperfect information
In poker, players have imperfect information—they don’t have full knowledge of past events, and they can’t see their opponents’ hands. The most popular variant of poker today is Texas hold ‘em. When it is played with just two players and with fixed bet sizes and a limited number of raises allowed, it is called heads-up limit hold ‘em.
The possible situations in this poker version are fewer than in checkers—which U of A computing science researchers solved in 2007, led by now dean of science Jonathan Schaeffer—but the imperfect-information nature of heads-up limit hold ‘em makes it a far more challenging game for computers to play or solve.
“We define a game to be essentially solved if a lifetime of play is unable to statistically differentiate it from being solved at 95% confidence,” explains Bowling. “Imagine someone playing 200 hands of poker an hour for 12 hours a day without missing a day for 70 years. Furthermore, imagine them employing the worst-case, maximally exploitive opponent strategy—and never making a mistake. They still cannot be certain they are actually winning.”
Read more: Poker-playing program knows when to fold ’em
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence 4 Development Agency (AIDA) Honoured in Business Worldwide Magazine 2020 GCC Business Excellence Awardson May 13, 2020 at 1:10 am
Vienna based tech non-profit Artificial Intelligence 4 Development Agency (AIDA) has gained global recognition for its innovative work, receiving two honours in the Business Worldwide Magazine 2020 ...
- Artificial Intelligence In Healthcare Market Share, Trend, Opportunity, Affect On Demand By COVID-19 Pandemic And Forecast 2019-2024on May 12, 2020 at 9:34 pm
A comprehensive research report created through extensive primary research (inputs from industry experts, companies, stakeholders) and secondary research, the report aims to present the analysis of ...
- Artificial intelligence systems aim to sniff out signs of COVID-19 outbreakson May 12, 2020 at 2:44 pm
Read our COVID-19 research and news. Science’s extensive COVID-19 coverage is free to all readers. To support our nonprofit science journalism, please make a tax-deductible gift today. By Adrian Cho ...
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Secures Nine Unit Order From Real Estate Companyon May 12, 2020 at 6:20 am
Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. (OTCPK:AITX) is pleased to announce that Robotic Assistance Devices (RAD), its wholly owned subsidiary, has recently received a nine unit order from ...
- Artificial Intelligence Markets in IVD, 2019-2024 - Initiatives, Collaborations and Tests - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 12, 2020 at 1:59 am
The "Artificial Intelligence Markets in IVD" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report examines selected AI-based initiatives, collaborations, and te ...
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2024on May 12, 2020 at 12:45 am
The “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market” report entitled “Global Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market Growth (Status and Outlook) 2019-2024”, provides analysis of the ...
- Sneeze guards, artificial intelligence and more: The Mavs are discussing new measures if fans return to AACon May 11, 2020 at 5:39 pm
If the NBA resumes its 2019-20 season this summer or fall, games will likely occur without fans. But the Mavericks are still focused on the potential ...
- Novel artificial intelligence system increases the detection of prostate cancer in whole slide images of core needle biopsieson May 11, 2020 at 9:31 am
Prostate cancer (PrCa) is the second most common cancer among men in the United States. The gold standard for detecting PrCa is the examination of prostate needle core biopsies. Diagnosis can be ...
- Chips are down for artificial intelligenceon May 10, 2020 at 8:01 pm
The age of artificial intelligence (AI) was widely proclaimed in 2017 when Google’s AlphaGo program comprehensively defeated Ke Jie, world champion player of Go, the complex Chinese board game. Since ...
- Artificial Intelligence Is Driving A Silicon Renaissanceon May 10, 2020 at 12:55 pm
More innovation is happening in the semiconductor industry today than at any time since Silicon Valley's earliest days.
via Bing News