Comparing an unmanned aerial vehicle to a magnetic resonance imaging machine may seem odd, but that is how the director of the Mississippi State University Geosystems Research Institute sees it
“The plant is the patient, the agronomists are the doctors, and I am the guy who works on the MRI machine,” said Robert Moorhead, GRI director and Billie J. Ball Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the MSU Bagley College of Engineering.
UAVs — flying above tractors but well below manned aircraft — are the newest instruments used in precision agriculture. Mississippi State holds certificates of authorization from the Federal Aviation Administration to operate UAVs for research purposes, and Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station scientists have been using the remotely piloted aircraft in various studies.
FAA officials are developing regulations for the commercial use of UAVs, and Congress has set a September 2015 deadline for the agency to establish rules specifically for small, unmanned aerial systems. So far, the aerial equipment has been approved for commercial use only in a very limited capacity.
In the meantime, Moorhead and his GRI colleagues are working with MAFES agronomists and MSU Extension Service specialists to incorporate the use of UAVs in site-specific agricultural research. Moorhead said scientists are using the aerial equipment in research related to irrigation, plant growth, nutrient management and herbicide application.
Precision agriculture requires a number of other technologies, including remote sensing, global positioning systems and geographic information systems, Moorhead explained. These technologies are designed to collect and analyze site-specific data that can be used to create and apply effective prescriptions for every inch of an agricultural field.
Before the advent of unmanned aircraft, remote-sensing data had to be collected with satellites, ground instrumentation and piloted aircraft.
“UAVs now are another remote-sensing tool available to collect visual and multispectral data,” Moorhead said. “Precision agriculture is data driven, and UAV technology adds another significant layer of data for researchers and, ultimately, crop consultants and producers to assess and utilize in a meaningful way.”
The Latest on: Precision agriculture
via Google News
The Latest on: Precision agriculture
- Purdue University to collaborate in NSF-funded Engineering Research Center to develop the Internet of Things for Precision Agricultureon August 10, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Purdue University will be a partner in a new National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center created to develop advanced agricultural technologies to address food, energy and water security ...
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture Market Outlook (2018 to 2027) - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 10, 2020 at 9:59 am
Global Market Outlook (2018-2027)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture market accounted for $0.65 billion in 2018 and is ...
- Precision Planting Market worth $4.6 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on August 10, 2020 at 6:30 am
According to the new market research report "Precision Planting Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering (Hardware, ...
- Vertical Farming Market Worth $16.77 Billion, Globally, by 2027 at 23.28% CAGR: Verified Market Researchon August 10, 2020 at 6:14 am
Verified Market Research recently published a report, "Vertical Farming Market by Structure (Building-Based Vertical Farms, Shipping ...
- Global Digital Farming Market- Growth Insight, Rising Demand, Share and Healthy CAGR in the Upcoming Forecast 2024on August 9, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Recent report published by research nester titled "Digital Farming Market: Global Demand Analysis & Opportunity ...
- Global Precision Agriculture Markets, 2025 - Featuring Profiles of John Deere, AGCO Corporation, Trimble, and Raven Industries Among Otherson August 6, 2020 at 5:04 am
The "Global Precision Agriculture Market - Analysis by Offering, Technology, Application, by Region, by Country (2020 ...
- New engineering research center to focus on agriculture technologyon August 5, 2020 at 10:41 am
UC Merced joins three other campuses to sustainably meet the challenge of boosting global food production by 70 percent by 2050.
- New NSF engineering research centers focus on health, transportation, quantum tech and agricultureon August 5, 2020 at 5:20 am
The U.S. National Science Foundation is pleased to announce the creation of four new engineering research centers. These new centers will focus on extending the viability of cells, tissues, organs and ...
- Global precision agriculture market size to record substantial growth by 2025on August 4, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, Aug. 04, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to MarketStudyReport LLC, Global precision agriculture market generated revenues worth USD 9.56 billion in 2019 and is anticipated ...
- Next Generation Ag Entrepreneurson August 4, 2020 at 9:00 am
Research conducted by Ag Economic Insights says “across the 18 select states, on-farm capacity increased by 1.68 billion bushels (from 2000 to 2014), a total increase of 17.6% (in that period).” When ...
via Bing News