Researchers explore the effect of journeying through the artificial, virtual world of video gaming
Often enough it is human nature to conform. This tendency makes us follow the lead of computers, even if the machines give us the wrong advice. This is the finding of a study in Springer’s journal Psychonomic Bulletin & Review that investigates how people make judgment calls after playing role-playing video games. The research was led by Ulrich Weger of the University of Witten/Herdecke in Germany.
Real-life encounters and face-to-face contact with other people are on the decline in a world that is becoming increasingly computerized. Many routine tasks are delegated to virtual characters. People spend hours role-playing through virtual-reality video games by taking on the persona of a virtual character or avatar.
Such video games can even lead people to acquire and practice real-life skills and new viewpoints. Weger and his fellow researchers therefore explored how role-playing video gaming influences social behavior and decision-making. Participants in their study first played an immersive game for seven minutes as an avatar. Afterwards, they completed a job selection task in which they had the option of overriding incorrect choices made by a computer.
It was found that role-playing as the avatar in an immersive video game, compared to merely watching others play, makes people identify with a computer. They do so to such an extent that they actually start to conform to its decisions and follow its judgment – sometimes even if it is downright wrong. This shows that people conform, even when opinions are voiced by nonhuman agents. This is especially prevalent in ambiguous cases.
The Latest on: Conform to the norm
via Google News
The Latest on: Conform to the norm
- FSSAI mulls cattlefeed norms to curb animal food contaminationon December 13, 2019 at 8:38 am
Till the time these regulations are finalised, the FSSAI has directed that cattlefeed materials must conform to norms set by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). “In order to address the issue on an ...
- BMW upgrades entire petrol model range in India to conform to BS VI emission normson November 20, 2019 at 9:53 am
The automaker said it is now working to upgrade its diesel range to conform to stricter emission norms which kick in the country from April, 1 next year. The petrol portfolio is already BS VI ...
- Would you stand up to an oppressive regime or would you conform? Here’s the scienceon October 10, 2019 at 3:00 am
We are happy to let judges or football referees enforce rules. A recent study showed we even conform to arbitrary norms. The logic of appropriateness is self-enforcing – we disapprove of, ostracise or ...
- Cameroon: Textile Products - Importers Urged to Conform to Stipulated Normson March 29, 2019 at 8:00 am
"We have head what the minister has said concerning the quality of textile products we have to import, we are going to conform to these norms. But we call on control teams while on the field to halt ...
- Conform to the social norm: why people follow what other people doon December 17, 2018 at 11:17 am
It is well established that people tend to conform to behaviours that are common among other people. These are known as social norms. Yet our finding that people conform to other’s choices that they ...
- ‘Warehousing park projects conform to global norms’on November 28, 2018 at 6:18 pm
HE the Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani joins all of the awardees during the inauguration ceremony of four new Manateq warehousing parks yesterday.
- Manoj Bajpayee: I was called arrogant when I refused to conform to Bollywood’s conventional normson October 24, 2018 at 12:33 am
“It wasn’t easy for sure…You are called arrogant, bloated mind and all sorts of names for turning down the role and refusing to conform to the film industry’s norms. But I kept on ignoring it,” he ...
- Chloë Grace Moretz recalls 'wearing a mask' as a kid when trying to conform to gender normson August 3, 2018 at 8:52 am
But it wasn’t always for work. Moretz grew up with four brothers and a single mom, and she revealed in an interview for BUILD yesterday that she fell into all the gender norms as a kid. The ...
via Bing News