A new ‘microcapsule’ treatment delivery method developed by researchers at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) could reduce inflammation in cartilage affected by osteoarthritis and reverse damage to tissue.
The research was funded by Arthritis Research UK and the AO Foundation.
A protein molecule called C-type natriuretic peptide (CNP), which occurs naturally in the body, is known to reduce inflammation and aid in the repair of damaged tissue. However, CNP cannot be used to treat osteoarthritis in patients because it cannot target the damaged area even when the protein is injected into the cartilage tissue. This is because CNP is easily broken down and cannot reach the diseased site.
The researchers constructed tiny microcapsules, just 2 microns in diameter, with individual layers containing CNP that could release the protein slowly and therefore deliver the treatment in the most effective way.
In experiments on samples of cartilage taken from animals, they showed that the microcapsules could deliver the anti-inflammatory CNP in a highly effective way. The researchers believe that injections of microcapsules could in the future be used to heal damaged cartilage in people with osteoarthritis. The injections could be delivered easily by a GP.
Dr Tina Chowdhury from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, who leads the research, said:
“If this method can be transferred to patients it could drastically slow the progression of osteoarthritis and even begin to repair damaged tissue.
“CNP is currently available to treat other conditions such as skeletal diseases and cardiovascular repair. If we could design simple injections using the microcapsules, this means the technology has the potential to be an effective and relatively cheap treatment that could be delivered in the clinic or at home.”
The Latest on: Microcapsules
via Google News
The Latest on: Microcapsules
- Artificial pancreas app automatically delivers insulin when neededon March 22, 2020 at 10:35 am
Scientists at the University of Cambridge have launched what they describe as the world’s first licensed, downloadable artificial pancreas smartphone app for sufferers of type 1 diabetes. The ...
- The Simple Skin Quiz Every Bride-To-Be Should Take (Plus a Wedding-Ready Skincare Routine)on March 22, 2020 at 7:32 am
It wears more like a serum than a sunscreen, so you can fight sunburn without any greasy residue or white cast. It plays well with makeup too as it’s formulated with active microcapsules that absorb ...
- Direction-Specific Release from Capsules with Homogeneous or Janus Shells Using an Ultrasound Approachon March 21, 2020 at 7:20 pm
Thus, the controllable and direction-specific release from microcapsules in a simple and effective way is still a great challenge. This greatly limits the use of microcapsules in applications where ...
- Lipofoods to Raise the bar With Natural, Sustained-release Caffeineon March 14, 2020 at 5:00 pm
BARCELONA, Spain, Sept. 14, 2017 : Lipofoods, SLU, launches NEWCAFF microcapsules, a natural, slow-release caffeine formulation for athletes and others living an active lifestyle. The company will ...
- Polymer Capsules with Tunable Shell Thickness Synthesized via Janus-to-core shell Transition of Biphasic Droplets Producedon March 12, 2020 at 12:53 pm
Droplet microfluidics has enabled the synthesis of polymeric particles with controlled sizes, shell thickness, and morphologies. Here, we report the Janus to core-shell structural evolution of ...
- Encapsulating Islet Cells for the Treatment of Diabeteson March 12, 2020 at 3:11 am
These donor islets are delivered inside selectively permeable alginate hydrogel microcapsules. This approach has been shown to restore normal glycaemic levels or reduce insulin dependency in diabetic ...
- What is vitamin F, and do I need it to improve my skin?on March 9, 2020 at 12:00 am
The creamy formula features vitamin F-filled microcapsules, which leaves skin feeling plumped and nourished overnight. Light Work Rosehip Cleansing Oil, £36, Pai Light Work Rosehip Cleansing Oil, £36, ...
- CBD Pillow Rapidly Innovates New Sleep Solutionon March 3, 2020 at 7:17 am
Pioneering a new offering in the category, as CBD has historically only been distributed through creams or edibles, the CBD Pillow has millions of CBD microcapsules bonded to the fabric.
- Microwave, Photo- & Thermally Responsive [email protected] Microcapsuleson May 11, 2016 at 4:00 pm
In our group we use a novel synthesis of polymer microcapsules with core-shell morphology comprising of [email protected] that is microwave-, photo- and thermo-responsive prepared by a novel microarray ...
via Bing News