A collaborative research project between Touhoku University and JST reveals the data retention and energy production potential of spintronics via surface plasmon resonance.
Going beyond electronics is a concept that has been well discussed and researched for quite a number of years. The most popular ideas included photonics, and quite recently, spintronics. The field of spintronics in particular, is of special interest in today’s consumer tech, and a new Japanese research may just make the concept even closer to reality.
Researchers at Touhoku University Institute for Materials Research and the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) have recently confirmed that surface plasmon resonance can be an important tool in generating spin currents. Surface plasmon resonance, in simple terms, is the reactive vibration of electrons at a point on a surface (which is usually a metal) hit by an incident light. It is a phenomenon that is well used in biosensors and lab-on-a-chip systems, due to the distinct, measurable, and predictable wavelengths the vibrations produce.
In their latest published research paper named “Generation of spin currents by surface plasmon resonance“, the researchers have observed that by directing light onto a magnetic material that contains a special metal particle, a spin current can be produced, and thus controlled. The manipulation and generation of spin currents is the fundamental principle of spintronics, where a spin moment of a single electron particle can be used to store data or transfer energy, in a manner that is similar to quantum computers.
As of this moment, the common methods used to control spin currents are via heat, sound waves, and magnetic fields, with magnetic fields as the current best candidate in the eventual commercialization of the technology. With the introduction of a new element that can control spin currents, the research sees the development of newer, more advanced energy transfer and conversion technologies, which could optimize spintronics technology on an even larger scale.
The Latest on: Spintronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Spintronics
- Tech: Extensive review of spin-gapless semiconductors: Next-generation spintronics candidateson June 27, 2020 at 8:42 am
In a spin-gapless semiconductor (SGS), conduction and valence band edges touch in one spin channel, and no threshold energy is required to move electrons from occupied (valence) states to empty ...
- Extensive review of spin-gapless semiconductors: Next-generation spintronics candidateson June 26, 2020 at 8:06 am
An Australian has published an extensive review of spin-gapless semiconductors (SGSs), a new class of 'zero bandgap' materials which have fully spin polarised electrons and holes, and first proposed ...
- Organic Spintronics Market May Set New Growth Story | Everspin Technologies, Intel, Rhomapon June 23, 2020 at 7:19 am
Global Organic Spintronics Market Report from AMA Research highlights deep analysis on market characteristics, sizing, estimates and growth by segmentation, regional breakdowns & country along with ...
- New Analysis Shows Promise of Quantum Spintronics Based on Silicon Carbideon June 20, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Prof. David Awschalom and 12 co-authors presented their analysis of quantum spintronics in the May 11, 2020 cover article of Applied Physics Letters. Credit: ...
- Electrical nucleation, displacement, and detection of antiferromagnetic domain walls in the chiral antiferromagnet Mn 3 Snon June 19, 2020 at 2:35 am
Antiferromagnetic systems for application in spintronics are less developed that their ferromagnetic counterparts but offer the prospect of increased stability and speed in their magnetisation ...
- Spintronics Technology Market : Industry Profitable Key Business Trends Growth Rate and Top Key Playerson June 17, 2020 at 10:01 pm
The rising technology in Spintronics Technology Market is also depicted in this research report. Factors that are boosting the growth of the market, and giving a positive push to thrive in the global ...
- Spintronics Market Value Will Exhibit a Nominal Uptick in 2027 as Corona Virus Outbreak Prevails as a Global Pandemic, Says FMI in a Revised Reporton June 16, 2020 at 8:25 pm
In the upcoming research study on the Spintronics Market by Future Market Insights (FMI) is a valuable source of information for market players vying to establish a strong foothold in the current ...
- Global Spintronic Logic Devices Market to Reach $21.89 Billion by 2026: at 34.7% CAGRon June 15, 2020 at 11:28 pm
According to the report published by Allied Market Research, the global spintronic logic devices market generated $2.14 billion in 2018, and is.
- Electric fields control spintronics deviceson June 9, 2020 at 6:47 am
A new low-power technique for detecting the spin of electrons in a non-magnetic system could aid the development of spintronics devices that work using ferroelectricity rather than ferromagnetism.
- Graphene and 2-D materials could move electronics beyond 'Moore's law'on June 3, 2020 at 7:43 am
A team of researchers based in Manchester, the Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland and the U.S. has published a new review on a field of computer device development known as spintronics, which ...
via Bing News