A new global cropland map combines multiple satellite data sources, reconciled using crowdsourced accuracy checks, to provide an improved record of total cropland extent as well as field size around the world
Knowing where agricultural land is located is crucial for regional and global food security planning, and information on field size offers valuable insight into local economic conditions. Two new global maps, released today in the journal Global Change Biology, provide a significant step forward in global cropland information on these two topics.
IIASA-IFPRI Global Cropland Map
The first map shows global cropland percentages at 1 kilometer resolution for the year 2005. It was developed by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) using a hybridization of multiple data sources contributed by many other institutes and organizations, combined with crowdsourcing validation data where volunteers used high-resolution data to check the accuracy of larger-scale maps.
“Current sources of information on cropland extent are not accurate enough for most applications,” says IIASA researcher Steffen Fritz, who led the project. “The global cropland map is a low cost solution to fill this need.”
IIASA researcher and co-author Linda See adds, “Our hybrid approach combines existing maps to produce a better integrated product than any of the individual global base maps currently available.”
The new global cropland map is more accurate, by virtue of increased agreement between different datasets on cropland cover. The researchers used a likelihood method to quantify the level of uncertainty, using agreement between maps to assign a likelihood to each area. See explains, “Where all maps agree there is cropland, there is a higher likelihood that cropland is present.” The map improves an earlier hybrid map first released in 2011 by IIASA.
“Getting an accurate crop map is particularly difficult in developing countries, where smallholder plots are tough to differentiate from the surrounding vegetation,” said Liangzhi You, a senior research fellow at IFPRI. “Yet cropland information is fundamental to both policymakers and donors so that they can better target their agricultural and rural development policies and investments.”
The Latest on: Global agriculture
via Google News
The Latest on: Global agriculture
- First Trust Indxx Global Agriculture ETF (NYSEARCA:FTAG) Trading 3.2% Higheron November 29, 2020 at 2:48 am
First Trust Indxx Global Agriculture ETF (NYSEARCA:FTAG) shares traded up 3.2% on Friday . The stock traded as high as $25.27 and last traded at $25.27. 129 shares were traded during trading, a ...
- Global Phosphate Markets,2019-2020 & Forecast to 2025 - Market is Driven by the Expanding Agricultural Industry Globallyon November 26, 2020 at 7:15 am
Types, Applications and Regional Markets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The focus of this ...
- Global AI in Agriculture Market Report 2020-2030: Increasing Use of Robotics and Smart Sensors Propelling the $8+ Billion Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 26, 2020 at 6:32 am
The "AI in Agriculture Market Research Report: By Type, Technology, Application - Global Industry Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- Connected Agriculture Market Size, Share, Growth, Global Trends, Industry Analysis and Regional Forecast till 2026on November 25, 2020 at 9:00 pm
The globalconnected agriculturemarket size is projected to reach USD 7.22 billion by the end of 2026. The demand for ...
- $300+ Billion Agricultural & Forestry Machinery Market - Global Outlook to 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 25, 2020 at 7:55 am
Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Global Agricultural & Forestry Machinery market accounted for $166.41 billion in 2019 and is expected to ...
- Global Agriculture Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Growth, Trends, and Forecastson November 25, 2020 at 3:28 am
The "Agriculture Analytics Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The agriculture analytics market is projected to grow at 14 ...
- Global Precision Agriculture (Farming) Market Report 2020: Market is Forecasted to Reach US$11.36 Billion in 2024, Growing at a CAGR of 10.9%on November 25, 2020 at 2:21 am
The "Global Precision Agriculture (Farming) Market: Insights & Forecast with Potential Impact of COVID-19 (2020-2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global precision ...
- Zinc Sulfate Market Forecast, Trend Analysis & Competition Tracking - Global Market Insights 2020 to 2024on November 24, 2020 at 1:45 pm
The zinc sulfate market is poised to grow by 78.60 thousand tons during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period. Worried about the impact of COVID-19 on your Business?
- Global Factory Agriculture Market 2020 Introduction, Definition, Specifications, Classification and Industry Scope by 2025on November 23, 2020 at 11:56 pm
Global Factory Agriculture Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 available at MarketQuest.biz covers several aspects that are expected to affect the growth of the ...
- Growing Adoption of Smart Farming Techniques Boosts the Global Smart Agriculture Market Growthon November 23, 2020 at 1:43 am
Research Dive :A latest report by Research Dive on the global smart agriculture market states that the market is estimated to experience notable growth from 2019 to 2026. The report elucidates the ...
via Bing News