A new global cropland map combines multiple satellite data sources, reconciled using crowdsourced accuracy checks, to provide an improved record of total cropland extent as well as field size around the world
Knowing where agricultural land is located is crucial for regional and global food security planning, and information on field size offers valuable insight into local economic conditions. Two new global maps, released today in the journal Global Change Biology, provide a significant step forward in global cropland information on these two topics.
IIASA-IFPRI Global Cropland Map
The first map shows global cropland percentages at 1 kilometer resolution for the year 2005. It was developed by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) using a hybridization of multiple data sources contributed by many other institutes and organizations, combined with crowdsourcing validation data where volunteers used high-resolution data to check the accuracy of larger-scale maps.
“Current sources of information on cropland extent are not accurate enough for most applications,” says IIASA researcher Steffen Fritz, who led the project. “The global cropland map is a low cost solution to fill this need.”
IIASA researcher and co-author Linda See adds, “Our hybrid approach combines existing maps to produce a better integrated product than any of the individual global base maps currently available.”
The new global cropland map is more accurate, by virtue of increased agreement between different datasets on cropland cover. The researchers used a likelihood method to quantify the level of uncertainty, using agreement between maps to assign a likelihood to each area. See explains, “Where all maps agree there is cropland, there is a higher likelihood that cropland is present.” The map improves an earlier hybrid map first released in 2011 by IIASA.
“Getting an accurate crop map is particularly difficult in developing countries, where smallholder plots are tough to differentiate from the surrounding vegetation,” said Liangzhi You, a senior research fellow at IFPRI. “Yet cropland information is fundamental to both policymakers and donors so that they can better target their agricultural and rural development policies and investments.”
The Latest on: Global agriculture
via Google News
The Latest on: Global agriculture
- Global Connected Agriculture Industryon March 24, 2020 at 7:16 am
NEW YORK, March 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Connected Agriculture market worldwide is ... in healthy gains adding significant momentum to global growth. Read the full report: https ...
- Blockchain in Agriculture Market to Record Steady Growth by 2023on March 24, 2020 at 6:46 am
Northrook, IL -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/24/2020 -- The report "Blockchain in Agriculture Market (and Food Supply Chain), Application (Product Traceability, Payment and Settlement, Smart Contracts, and ...
- Global Agricultural Micronutrients Market, Trends, Analysis, Opportunities, Share and Forecast 2018-2025on March 24, 2020 at 6:33 am
Global Agricultural Micronutrients Report available at Digits n Markets contains an overview of the Global Agricultural Micronutrients which covers market size, opportunities, trends, growth rate, and ...
- Global Agriculture Drones Market, Trends, Analysis, Opportunities, Share and Forecast 2018-2025on March 24, 2020 at 6:32 am
Global Agriculture Drones Report available at Digits n Markets contains an overview of the Global Agriculture Drones which covers market size, opportunities, trends, growth rate, and competitive ...
- New CRP: Developing Climate Smart Agricultural Practices for Carbon Sequestration and Mitigation of Greenhouse Gases (D15020)on March 24, 2020 at 5:52 am
Thus, the development and validation of climate-smart agricultural practices are required to ensure food security while minimizing GHG emissions. Climate Change related to the increasing emission of ...
- Global Greenhouse Film Market Estimated to Grow with a CAGR of 11% During the Forecast Period, 2019-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 24, 2020 at 5:06 am
The "Greenhouse Film Market: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Increasing Agricultural Crisis to Create Growth Opportunities for Global Medical Marijuana Market.on March 24, 2020 at 3:09 am
New York, USA, March 24, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As per a new report published by Research Dive, the global medical marijuana market is set to rise at a CAGR of 28.7% and is ...
- AJC Proposes Key to Empower ASEAN Agribusiness: How to Participate More in Agribusiness Global Value Chainson March 24, 2020 at 12:14 am
The Centre provides a solution to this question by participating more in global value chains (GVCs ... The share of foreign value added is higher for food products than agricultural products. China, ...
- Agricultural Biotechnology: Emerging Technologies and Global Marketson March 23, 2020 at 5:31 am
Report Scope: The study scope includes key agricultural biotechnology tools (i.e., next-generation DNA sequencing, biochips, RNA interference, synthetic biology tools and gene editing tools); ...
- IDTechEx Asks If Vertical Farming Can Revolutionise Global Agricultureon March 19, 2020 at 5:53 am
/PRNewswire/ -- Vertical farming is the practice of growing plants indoors under fully controlled environmental conditions in many stacked layers, ...
via Bing News