You’ve probably heard music composed by a computer algorithm, though you may not realize it. Artificial intelligence researchers have made huge gains in computational – or algorithmic – creativity over the past decade or two, and in music especially these advances are now filtering through to the real world
AI programs have produced albums in multiple genres. They’ve scored films and advertisements. And they’ve also generated mood music in games and smartphone apps. But what does computer-authored music sound like? Why do it? And how is it changing music creation? Join us, in this first entry in a series of features on creative AI, as we find out.
Semi-retired University of California Santa Cruz professor David Cope has been exploring the intersection of algorithms and creativity for over half a century, first on paper and then with computer. “It seemed even in my early teenage years perfectly logical to do creative things with algorithms rather than spend all the time writing out each note or paint this or write out this short story or develop this timeline word by word by word,” he tells Gizmag.
Cope came to specialize in what he terms algorithmic composition (although, as you’ll see later in this article series, that’s far from all he’s proficient at). He writes sets of instructions that enable computers to automatically generate complete orchestral compositions of any length in a matter of minutes using a kind of formal grammar and lexicon that he’s spent decades refining.
His experiments in musical intelligence began in 1981 as the result of a composer’s block in his more traditional music composition efforts, and he has since written around a dozen books and numerous journal articles on the subject. His algorithms have produced classical music ranging from single-instrument arrangements all the way up to full symphonies by modeling the styles of great composers like Bach and Mozart, and they have at times fooled people into believing that the works were written by human composers. You can listen to one of Cope’s experiments above.
Read more here: Creative AI: Computer composers are changing how music is made
The Latest on: Creative AI
via Google News
The Latest on: Creative AI
- Trump's AI Policy: Leave It To The Military And Corporationson February 28, 2020 at 4:41 am
Trump's AI policy edicts are, fortunately, not actively destructive, but they fail to be proactive in the guidance of AI research, development and deployment in beneficial directions.
- Using AI in your marketing approachon February 28, 2020 at 12:29 am
Ask any marketer, salesperson or creative director, the desire and need for consumer ... or enable us to create a truly tailored brand experience for each individual. AI holds the key to more human ...
- Can Machines And Artificial Intelligence Be Creative?on February 27, 2020 at 9:46 pm
While artificial intelligence can be creative, what's most compelling is the creative output when humans and machines collaborate, whether that's in art, music, dance, design, recipes, or publishing.
- EFM Horizon classifies artificial intelligence as a non-threat to creativityon February 27, 2020 at 2:38 pm
By reviewing various AI platforms, including some that had been presented earlier on, her goal was to help storytellers to flourish without losing any of their creative power while using them. She ...
- Update: Friendable Focuses on Machine Learning and AI for Mobile Advertising Campaign, Choosing “Liftoff” as Partneron February 27, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Tapping a Database of Over 2 Billion Unique, Fraud-Free Mobile Profiles CAMPBELL, CA, Feb. 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via NEWMEDIAWIRE ...
- The Japan Anime Music Lab. Website Spotlights the Virtual YouTuber Music Phenomenon in an Interview with the Producer of Kizuna Aion February 27, 2020 at 10:47 am
the CEO and founder of the virtual talent creative studio, Activ8 Inc. and producer of the virtual pop star, Kizuna Ai. Virtual YouTube stars, or “VTubers” comprise a colorful vanguard of digital ...
- Copyrights in the Era of AIon February 27, 2020 at 6:06 am
Today, advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) are revolutionizing the creative process. The use of AI in Adobe’s products and services helps creative professionals do their work in totally new ...
- What Happens When Tinder and AI 'Hook Up'?on February 27, 2020 at 4:27 am
Features like this AI-powered photo validation are intended to enhance users’ trust in each other ... The campaign boasted that the non-smoking profile received many more right swipes (likes) than the ...
- Artificial intelligence uncovers outrageous employee expense reportson February 26, 2020 at 8:53 am
AI platforms are flagging expenses ranging from first-class airline tickets to strip ... You've got to hand it to them, employees are certainly creative in their perceptions of what constitutes ...
- Monica Enand Built a Successful Artificial Intelligence Company. Now She’s Worried About AI Aiding Bigotry.on February 26, 2020 at 6:32 am
"She was just relentless and creative and never afraid to ask for help and feedback ... which now employs 150 people and had revenues north of $20 million last year, has been using artificial ...
via Bing News