The push to create an “internet of things” (IoT) will fail unless electronics firms collaborate more, Samsung has warned.
The potential of the technology will go unrealised unless gadgets and appliances from different manufacturers can easily share data, it said.
This openness will also help people manage the smart gadgets they own, said the boss of the South Korean firm.
Within five years, all Samsung hardware will be IoT enabled, he added.
“The internet of things has the potential to transform our society, economy and how we live our lives,” said Boo Keun Yoon, chief executive of Samsung, during a keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
The Samsung boss said sensors were getting increasingly accurate and soon would be able to adapt and change as people move around the world.
“It is our job to pull together – as an industry, and across different sectors – to make true on the promise of the internet of things,” he said, adding that the IoT was now a “science fact”.
The internet of things refers to efforts to turn formerly dumb devices such as fridges, thermostats and the like into smarter gadgets that can report on their status or be controlled remotely.
The Latest on: Open internet of things
via Google News
The Latest on: Open internet of things
- Shaquille O’Neal Open to Making a KAZAAM/SHAZAAM Movieon May 12, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Shaquille O’Neal is ready to break the internet and the Mandela Effect. In a recent interview with Yahoo the basketball superstar re ...
- Here are 8 answers to some of the internet's questions about Silicon Valleyon May 12, 2020 at 10:59 am
What does Silicon Valley mean? Why does the region pay so much? And why are its billionaires starving themselves?
- Open Source Software Leader the Eclipse Foundation Announces Transition to Europe as Part of Continued Global Expansionon May 11, 2020 at 10:38 pm
The Eclipse Foundation, one of the world’s largest open source software foundations, today announced it is cementing its commitment to global expansion by establishing itself as a European-based ...
- Education groups ask Congress to fund students' internet as coronavirus keeps schools closedon May 11, 2020 at 3:07 pm
A national cohort of education groups, including charter organizations with schools in New Orleans, are urging Congress to provide more funds for distance learning as the coronavirus forces many stude ...
- The Internet of Things in 2020: More vital than everon May 11, 2020 at 3:02 am
Just when we needed it most, the internet of things is delivering gobs of data and remote device control across almost every industry, from healthcare to agriculture.
- Internet of Things in Retail Market Report, 2020 - Integrated IoT Solution to Open New Revenue Streamson April 24, 2020 at 4:30 pm
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/4xb79h Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused ...
- Internet of Things in Retail Market Report, 2020 - Integrated IoT Solution to Open New Revenue Streamson April 24, 2020 at 2:35 pm
The Global Internet of Things (IoT) Market is poised to grow strong ... and integrated IoT solution to open new revenue streams. This industry report analyzes the market estimates and forecasts ...
- Internet of Things in Retail Market Report, 2020 - Integrated IoT Solution to Open New Revenue Streamson April 24, 2020 at 2:32 pm
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/4xb79h ...
- Samsung throws down the gauntlet to Apple and Google with an open Internet of Thingson April 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Samsung on Monday announced the new SmartThings Hub, which has been designed as a complete hub for the so-called “Internet of Things.” FROM EARLIER ... that the SmartThings Hub will be completely open ...
via Bing News