Liquified spider silk extruded in a gel via a three-dimensional printer could soon be regenerating damaged human heart muscle and nerve cells, according to German researchers
Biomaterial experts at Germany’s Bayreuth and Würzburg universities claimed a breakthrough in cultivating living cells while holding them in place with liquified spider silk.
The research method mixed spider silk with connective fibroblast cells from mice to generate a so-called “bio ink” or gel. Fibroblasts typically begin wound repairs.
When extruded from a 3-D printer, the silk molecules quickly wrapped those cells, giving them a porous matrix in which to flourish, the team said.
‘New possibilities’ for regenerative medicine?
Lead researchers, Bayreuth’s professor Thomas Scheibel and Würzburg’s professor Jürgen Groll said the method opened “completely new possibilities” for the regeneration of heart muscles as well as skin and nerve tissues.
During the development of a new bio ink based on spider silk the research team in Bayreuth and Würzburg achieved a “decisive breakthrough,” they told the Pressetext news agency.
The gel flowed through the 3-D device’s print head onto an extrusion surface, changing rapidly from its fluid into a firm state.
The Latest on: Spider silk
via Google News
The Latest on: Spider silk
- Fishing uranium from the ocean with a spider-silk lineon July 5, 2019 at 7:33 am
Chemistry matters. Join us to get the news you need. Yes! I want to get the latest chemistry news from C&EN in my inbox every week. ACS values your privacy. By submitting your information, you are ... […]
- How fashion is styling sustainability through product designon July 3, 2019 at 4:24 am
Bolt Threads also studied spiders’ DNA and their silk production to create Microsilk, a silk substitute which avoids much of the traditional pollution caused by textile production. The company says it ... […]
- Spiders Can Fly Thousands of Miles With Electric Poweron June 30, 2019 at 10:17 pm
Small spiders achieve flight by aiming their butts at the sky and releasing tendrils of silk to generate lift. Darwin thought that electricity might be involved when he noticed that spider silk stands ... […]
- 11 Best Spider Gel Sets: Your Easy Buying Guideon June 28, 2019 at 2:02 pm
This isn’t technically a set, but Elite99’s spider silk gel comes in such a wide range of colors, it’s worth creating your own set. Elite99 offers spider silk gel in black, white ... […]
- If Spider-Man's web is anything like spider silk, it's surprisingly realisticon June 28, 2019 at 1:04 pm
A stylized bird with an open mouth, tweeting. An envelope. It indicates the ability to send an email. An image of a chain link. It symobilizes a website link url. Three evenly spaced dots forming an ... […]
- Turning Proteins Into Musicon June 27, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Proteins are the building blocks of life. They make up everything from cells and enzymes to skin, bones, and hair, to spider silk and conch shells. But it’s notoriously difficult to understand the ... […]
- Tom Holland's Standout Suit Wasn't Actually A Suiton June 27, 2019 at 1:54 am
swinging from tall buildings with a bloodstream comprised of oxygen and proteinaceous spider silk. But off-screen, Tom Holland is just as impressive. At the Hollywood premiere of the latest instalment ... […]
- Amino acids make beautiful music to design novel protein structureson June 26, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Nearly seven years ago, MIT scientists mapped the molecular structure of proteins in spider silk threads onto musical theory to produce the "sound" of silk in hopes of establishing a radical new ... […]
- Global Synthetic Spider Silk Market 2019 Investment Return Analysis, Forthcoming Investment, SWOT Analysis and Business Opportunitieson June 25, 2019 at 9:56 pm
(MENAFN - QYresearch.us) MarketDesk.Us provides Exclusive Report on Global Synthetic Spider Silk Market. This Market Intelligence Report Focuses only on Key Strategic Developments(new product ... […]
- Imperfect webs | River Watcheron June 24, 2019 at 3:26 am
The Golden Guide will do for a starter. Spider silk is a chemical creation, fed out of the back-end spigots as a liquid and instantly hardening into a fibrous protein delicately controlled by the ... […]
via Bing News