UNSW‘s solar researchers have converted over 40% of the sunlight hitting a solar system into electricity, the highest efficiency ever reported.
The world-beating efficiency was achieved in outdoor tests in Sydney, before being independently confirmed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) at their outdoor test facility in the United States.
The work was funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and supported by the Australia–US Institute for Advanced Photovoltaics (AUSIAPV)
“This is the highest efficiency ever reported for sunlight conversion into electricity,” UNSW Scientia Professor and Director of the Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Professor Martin Green said.
“We used commercial solar cells, but in a new way, so these efficiency improvements are readily accessible to the solar industry,” added Dr Mark Keevers, the UNSW solar scientist who managed the project.
The 40% efficiency milestone is the latest in a long line of achievements by UNSW solar researchers spanning four decades. These include the first photovoltaic system to convert sunlight to electricity with over 20% efficiency in 1989, with the new result doubling this performance.
“The new results are based on the use of focused sunlight, and are particularly relevant to photovoltaic power towers being developed in Australia,” Professor Green said.
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
- Energy Efficiency Alberta programs scrapped by UCPon October 30, 2019 at 3:32 pm
The cancellation of the Energy Efficiency Alberta programs comes as a tough blow to the solar installers, insulation technicians and other contractors who saw a boost in business over the two-year ...
- St. Johns County solar facility just part of FPL’s transition to renewable energyon October 30, 2019 at 2:42 pm
FPL already operates 18 major solar energy plants and more than 200 smaller installations across Florida ... Its production and delivery make it a more cost efficient a power source over the long term ...
- Local View Column: The economic irrelevance of Nemadji Trail Energy Center is growingon October 30, 2019 at 9:39 am
The Risky Economics of New Natural Gas Infrastructure in the United States”) shows that a clean-energy portfolio consisting of wind, solar, storage, energy efficiency, and demand response now matches ...
- Nanotechnology breakthrough enables conversion of infrared light to energyon October 30, 2019 at 9:18 am
(Nanowerk News) Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology developed technology to tap into infrared light for solar energy conversion and increase solar cell efficiency by 10 percent or more.
- More efficient than solar panels? Rust, saltwater show renewable-energy promiseon October 30, 2019 at 8:10 am
LOS ANGELES — Scientists believe they have found a renewable energy source that’s more efficient and cheaper than solar panels: salt water flowing over rust. Researchers from California Institute of ...
- Solar-powered Lightyear One claims to break new ground in aerodynamicson October 30, 2019 at 7:36 am
The Lightyear One is a five-seat family car powered by solar energy. As if that wasn’t a difficult enough engineering challenge, Dutch startup Lightyear also tried to make the car as aerodynamic as ...
- Malaysia is targeting a higher level of renewables in its energy mix by 2025, says its environment ministeron October 30, 2019 at 4:34 am
Playing down the possibility of a carbon tax, Yeo suggested that solar energy is a viable option for Malaysia, a tropical country. "We are a developing country. We want to look into what will be the ...
- Faith groups exploring solar power possibilityon October 30, 2019 at 1:11 am
“Just like you might have a community garden, you can have a solar farm where groups can take shares of the power generated in the jointly controlled resource,” said Robert Stoddard, a member of St.
- Margaret Krome: Incentives would help drive more people toward solar energyon October 29, 2019 at 7:00 am
In one sense, solar investments not paying back enough is good news ... In the summer, I close windows and shades and use a simple, energy-efficient fan to stay cool, and we turn on the whole house ...
- Enphase Energy Announces General Availability of Enphase IQ™ 7A Microinverters for Solar Modules Up to 450 Won October 28, 2019 at 5:43 pm
and the IQ 7A will enable us to take system design to the next level with higher wattage and higher efficiency modules. Enphase products, coupled with Pure Energy Solar's focus on top quality ...
via Bing News