Scientists from Queen Mary University of London have found text messaging prevents one in six patients from forgetting to take, or stopping, their prescribed medicines.
The randomised trial, published today in the journal PLOS ONE, tested whether text messaging improved the use of blood pressure and cholesterol lowering medication for the prevention of heart attacks and stroke – the most common causes of death worldwide.
Around a third of people do not take their treatment as prescribed, greatly reducing potential benefits and costing the NHS over £500m in wasted medicines and treating avoidable illness. Some patients forget to take their tablets and others stop because of uncertainty over the benefits or harms of treatment.
The INTERACT trial involved 303 patients who had been prescribed blood pressure and/or cholesterol lowering medication. Patients were divided randomly into two groups; a ‘text message’ group who received periodic text messages and a ‘no text’ group who received no text messages.
The ‘text message’ group received texts every day for two weeks, alternate days for two weeks and then weekly for 6 months, asking if they had taken their medication that day. Patients who had not, or did not reply, were telephoned and offered help.
In the ‘no text’ group, 25% of patients stopped their medication completely or took less than four fifths of their prescribed treatment, compared with only 9% in the ‘text message’ group.
The Latest on: Text messaging reminders
via Google News
The Latest on: Text messaging reminders
- 20 Supportive Texts To Send Someone Who’s Stressed Outon November 27, 2020 at 8:00 am
Below you'll find therapist-approved sample texts to consider sending someone who's stressed, based on the situation. If someone in your life needs a lot of extra attention right now — maybe they keep ...
- ‘Maligayang Pasko?’ Authorities send rare text advisory on Christmas partieson November 26, 2020 at 11:57 pm
“May Christmas party? Buksan ang bintana at electric fan. Mas ligtas pa kung outdoor ang venue. Maligayang Pasko? Kaya natin ‘to!” Sounds familiar? It is part of the public service advisory by the ...
- Pennsylvania using wireless alert system to send COVID-19 messages to mobile deviceson November 25, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Did you hear an emergency alert on your phone Wednesday afternoon? It's a new effort by the Wolf administration to provide COVID-19 updates to the public.
- Phone frenzy? Seven ways to cut call volumeon November 25, 2020 at 9:57 am
Front-desk teams are struggling to answer the onslaught of calls to schedule the three-month backlog of checkups and elective procedures, refill medications, and curbside arrivals.
- Trai imposes Rs 35 cr penalty on telcos for not stopping fake messageson November 24, 2020 at 11:24 pm
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has imposed penalties worth Rs 35 crore on telcos, including BSNL and MTNL, Reliance Jio, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Idea, for allowing fake text ...
- NewOrg Announces Integrated SMS Text Messagingon November 24, 2020 at 8:43 am
NewOrg has enhanced its communications options to include text messaging (SMS) along with traditional mass email and transactional email. Personalized mass mail can now be sent via email or SMS based ...
- Samsung Reminder app now syncs with Microsoft To Do, Outlook, and Microsoft Teamson November 24, 2020 at 2:50 am
Microsoft To Do now integrates with the Samsung Reminder app. The new functionality allows you to easily view and check off items on any of your devices.
- Billy Gilmour sends message to Frank Lampard with superb goal for Chelsea Under-23 sideon November 22, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Frank Lampard was given a reminder of Billy Gilmour’s talent and potential as the midfielder scored a brilliant goal to help Chelsea ’s development side come from two down to draw 2-2 with Manchester ...
- SMS Marketing Software Market May See a Big Move | Major Giants SendPulse, Teckst, SimplyCaston November 20, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Latest released the research study on Global SMS Marketing Software Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope SMS Marketing Software Market research report ...
- Adrian Peterson shares special message with Alex Smithon November 19, 2020 at 8:11 am
Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith has overcome so much to step back onto a football field this season. His story of battling back from a gruesome leg injury has been well documented and ...
via Bing News