Developments in oral immunization delivery viewed as potential weapon to combat global health threats such as tuberculosis, AIDS and diarrheas
Scientists at The Forsyth Institute and Tufts University have succeeded in describing and validating a unique system of oral vaccine delivery using a common bacteria found in the mouth. Findings published today by Elsevier in Microbes and Infection identify Streptococcus mitis as a successful vector for oral mucosal immunization, and further research will determine its potential clinical use in tuberculosis vaccine development.
“Although injected vaccines are traditionally viewed as effective means of immunization to protect internal organs, these vaccines rarely induce strong mucosal protection in the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract and genitalia. In contrast, oral vaccinations have the potential to affordably, safely and effectively protect these areas, thus assisting in the fight against global health threats including diarrheas and diseases such as tuberculosis and AIDS,” said lead research Dr. Antonio Campos-Neto, a senior member of the Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases at The Forsyth Institute. Dr. Campos-Neto is also the director for the Center for Global Infectious Disease Research, and lecturer at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
According to the World Health Organization, nine million people were diagnosed with tuberculosis in 2013, the latest year in which data is available, and 1.5 million people died from the disease. It is second only to HIV/AIDS in prevalence.
The Latest on: Oral vaccine
via Google News
The Latest on: Oral vaccine
- Better Coronavirus Stock: VBI Vaccines or Vaxart?on June 27, 2020 at 9:12 am
Vaxart (NASDAQ:VXRT) and VBI Vaccines (NASDAQ:VBIV) are both young vaccine companies seeking to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. Neither company is profitable, but both stocks have experienced ...
- Why the stock of this potential Covid vaccine maker jumped nearly 456% this weekon June 26, 2020 at 11:49 am
The news built on earlier gains to send the South San Francisco company's (NASDAQ: VXRT) stock 456% higher from its $2.57 price at the start of the week. Vaxart's is the only oral vaccine — a tablet ...
- Vaxart Oral Virus Vaccine Chosen by U.S. for Challenge Studyon June 26, 2020 at 10:29 am
Vaxart's oral coronavirus vaccine was chosen by the U.S. government to participate in a non-human primate challenge study.
- A little-known biotech working on a COVID-19 vaccine has surged 304% in just 2 days — and it just said it was picked for the US government's 'Operation Warp Speed' programon June 26, 2020 at 9:13 am
Despite being a clinical stage company and having no products approved for sale, Vaxart's market cap has surged from $200 million to $850 million.
- Stock Alert: Vaxart Hits New 52-week High As COVID-19 Vaccine Selected For OWSon June 26, 2020 at 7:16 am
(RTTNews) - Shares of Vaxart Inc. (VXRT) are surging more 90 percent or $5.65 in Friday's morning trade at $11.91 after touching a new 52-week high of $14.30 earlier. The clinical-stage biotechnology ...
- Vaxart Rallies On Double Dose Of Positive Coronavirus Vaccine Developmentson June 26, 2020 at 6:25 am
Shares of oral vaccine maker Vaxart Inc (NASDAQ: VXRT) are on a strong two-day run after two announcements tied to coronavirus vaccine development. What Happened: The ...
- Vaxart’s COVID-19 Vaccine Selected for the U.S. Government’s Operation Warp Speedon June 26, 2020 at 6:02 am
The study is designed to demonstrate the efficacy of Vaxart’s oral COVID-19 vaccine candidate. Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on developing oral tablet vaccines designed to g ...
- Vaxart says potential COVID-19 vaccine picked for 'Operation Warp Speed'on June 26, 2020 at 5:42 am
More than 100 vaccines are being tested worldwide against the virus, with only a handful in human testing phase, including candidates from AstraZeneca Plc and Moderna Inc. Experts have suggested that ...
- Vaxart +70% after Covid-19 'Warp Speed' designation for its vaccineon June 26, 2020 at 5:35 am
Vaxart (NASDAQ:VXRT) is surging for the second day in a row, up 70% pre-market, after the U.S. Government selected their oral vaccine as eligible to participate in a non-human study organized and fund ...
- Vaxart: OWS To Test Oral COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate In Non-Human Primateson June 26, 2020 at 5:34 am
COVID-19 vaccine has been selected to participate in a non-human primate challenge study, organized and funded by the U.S. Government's Operation Warp Speed. The study is designed to demonstrate the ...
via Bing News