“This new chemistry allows for bond constructions that have previous been simply unimaginable,” said Baran.
Chemists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) have invented a powerful method for joining complex organic molecules that is extraordinarily robust and can be used to make pharmaceuticals, fabrics, dyes, plastics and other materials previously inaccessible to chemists.
“We are rewriting the rules for how one thinks about the reactivity of basic organic building blocks, and in doing so we’re allowing chemists to venture where none has gone before,” said Phil S. Baran, the Darlene Shiley Chair in Chemistry at TSRI, whose laboratory reports the finding on functionalized olefin cross-coupling this week in Nature.
With the new technique, scientists can join two compounds known as olefins to create a new bond between their carbon-atom backbones. Carbon-to-carbon coupling methods are central to chemistry, but until now have been plagued by certain limitations: they often fail if either of the starting compounds contains small, reactive regions known as “functional groups” attached to their main structure. They also frequently don’t work well in the presence of “heteroatoms”—non-carbon atoms such as nitrogen, oxygen and iodine—despite the importance of these types of atoms in chemical synthesis.
The new method is what chemists call “mild,” meaning that it doesn’t require the use of extreme temperatures or pressures, nor harsh chemicals. As a result, portions of the building blocks used that are particularly fragile remain unaltered by the reaction.
“Functional groups that would be destroyed by other cross-coupling methods are totally unscathed when using our method,” said Julian C. Lo, a graduate student who was a co-lead author of the report with Research Associate Jinghan Gui.
Natural Products as Launching Pad
The innovation arose from a Baran laboratory project to synthesize natural compounds found in traditional Chinese medicines.
The Latest on: New chemistry
via Google News
The Latest on: New chemistry
- New tradition building Perry baseball chemistryon March 24, 2020 at 8:07 am
But it allowed the team to bond and build a level of chemistry they hoped would trump that of the Perry teams in the past ... “We just talk about life with each other, honestly,” Pallas said. “What’s ...
- Universities prepare for new normal as pandemic forces UK to shut down for three weekson March 24, 2020 at 7:30 am
In the absence of new experimental data the team is writing up existing work ... early career and those changing roles.’ Lee Cronin, Regius Chair of chemistry at the University of Glasgow, has 65 ...
- Clinical Chemistry Analyzer Market Size Comprehensive Analysis, Growth Forecast from 2019 to 2024on March 24, 2020 at 6:22 am
Mar 24, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Market Study Report LLC adds new research on Clinical Chemistry Analyzer market, which is a detailed analysis of this ...
- Your Body Chemistry Might Be Sabotaging Your Signature Scenton March 24, 2020 at 6:00 am
Some may actually enhance the smells, some actually inhibit it." Take Le Labo's infamous Santal 33, which, if you've ever been in an elevator at Milk Studios during New York Fashion Week, understand ...
- Eagles' new-look secondary will face unique challenge to find chemistryon March 24, 2020 at 5:48 am
And this year’s OTAs would have been huge for an Eagles secondary with so many new or different pieces. That’s the tough part, because one thing that you need is chemistry, and we’ve got to figure out ...
- Emmerdale confirms Priya and Al romantic chemistryon March 24, 2020 at 12:01 am
Jai won't be pleased.
- GOT7’s Jinyoung, Jeon So Nee, Yoo Ji Tae, And Lee Bo Young Test Chemistry On Set Of New Dramaon March 23, 2020 at 8:10 pm
The making-of video gives a glimpse of the actors filming their first scenes together. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young show friendly chemistry as they joke around comfortably. Yoo Ji Tae worries that he ...
- Pelicans’ VP Talks Lonzo Ball-Zion Williamson Chemistryon March 23, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Speaking on Fox Sports New Orleans over the weekend, Pelicans VP of Basketball Operations David Griffin said that, in addition to Ball, forward Nicolo Melli has flourished with Williamson alongside.
- New York Jets’ Offensive-Line Makeover Comes With A Hidden Riskon March 23, 2020 at 10:52 am
Joe Douglas' makeover of the New York Jets' offensive line makes sense, but developing chemistry will be harder than usual this year.
- How Brittany Snow and Sam Richardson Found Rom-Com Chemistry in Hooking Upon March 23, 2020 at 9:08 am
That’s where the paths of Darla (Brittany Snow) and Bailey (Sam Richardson) cross in the new rom-com Hooking Up. What ensues can be loosely defined ... When you’re starring in a rom com that really ...
via Bing News