Engineers at Lancaster University are working on powering future ‘giant leaps’ for mankind.
They are major partners of a consortium working on a new £1 million project to maximise ‘energy harvesting’ on a space craft of the future.
The BAE Systems initiative seeks to find energy-saving and maximising solutions to enable eco-friendly aircraft to stay in space for long periods of time without the need to return to earth to re-fuel or to avoid carrying vast amounts of heavy fuel on long-stay journeys.
Principal Investigator Professor Jianqiao ye, of Lancaster University’s Engineering Department, said: “Our role is to look at saving the power used to support the monitoring system. There needs to be frequent communication between the aircraft and earth and power is needed to send huge constant quantities of data as well as receiving instructions from a communications centre.”
The Lancaster research, which has just begun, will look at how mechanical energy generated by the vibration of the aircraft’s wings can be transferred, stored and used to support the communications system.
Sensors constructed from special spatial material are adhered to the surface of the aircraft wing panels. Vibration from the wings is then transferred to and collected by the sensor to generate electricity and, therefore, maximising the energy generated by the craft.
Lancaster Researchers will examine the actual structure of the aircraft and estimate the amount of energy that can be ‘harvested’ in this manner by looking at the location, geometry of the sensor and the distribution of the energy.
The consortium will also look to see how the process could be improved and built on from, for example, a design perspective and using wireless connections to reduce weight.
The Latest on: Energy harvesting
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy harvesting
- Energy Harvesting System Market 2019: Global Industry Trends, Sales Revenue, Industry Growth by 2025 – MRE Analysison November 28, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Nov 28, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, November 29, 2019: The Global Energy Harvesting System Market is segmented on the lines of its technology, component, application and regional. Based on ...
- Pressure Measurement-Based Method for Battery-Free Food Monitoring Powered by NFC Energy Harvestingon November 26, 2019 at 2:08 am
Additionally, we aim to design a smart sensor tag that can operate in fully passive mode without an external power source. To achieve this goal, near-field communication (NFC)-based energy harvesting ...
- Energy Harvesting System Market Size, Key Analysis And Comprehensive Growth Forecast Till 2026 | Fortune Business Insightson November 25, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Nov 26, 2019 (The Expresswire) -- Top Players in Energy Harvesting System Market are EnOcean, Power Costs, Inc, Cymbet Corporation, GE, Linear Technology, Convergence Inc., Mide Technology Corporation ...
- Most Read articles – Energy harvesting, Qualcomm 5G, Intel’s crownon November 22, 2019 at 4:24 am
See what your peers have been reading recently. What topics have caught the readers’ interest? There’s a Dutch energy harvesting company, improved efficiency of Perovskite solar cells, Qualcomm’s 5G ...
- IoT energy harvesting firm gets another $10m in Series Aon November 21, 2019 at 10:17 pm
Netherlands energy harvesting chip firm Nowi has added further cash to its Series A funding – from Disruptive Technology Ventures (DTV), which also injected money with the Dutch Government in 2018.
- Netherlands Energy Harvesting Semiconductor Firm NOWI Reaches $14 Million in Fundingon November 21, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Initial DTV funding in March 2018 in conjunction with Dutch government backing enabled Nowi to reach several key milestones towards commercialization of its unique patented energy harvesting power ...
- Energy Harvesting Systems Marketon November 15, 2019 at 1:43 am
The Global Energy Harvesting Systems Market Report 2019-2025 analyzes the important factors of this market based on present industry situations, market demands, business strategies utilized by the ...
- Using energy harvesting, radio technologies to power wireless sensorson November 13, 2019 at 1:20 pm
The problem can be alleviated through ambient energy harvesting and radio frequency (RF) wireless power delivery. Through energy harvesting, Zell said, the IIoT can deliver maintenance-free wireless ...
- Global Vibration Energy Harvesting Systems Market Report 2019: Historical Data 2014-2017, Base Year of 2018, Estimates for 2019 & Forecasts 2020-2024on November 13, 2019 at 6:42 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/vgdc2z Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused ...
- Global Vibration Energy Harvesting Systems Market Report 2019: Historical Data 2014-2017, Base Year of 2018, Estimates for 2019 & Forecasts 2020-2024on November 13, 2019 at 6:38 am
DUBLIN, Nov. 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Vibration Energy Harvesting Systems Market Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global vibration energy harvesting ...
via Bing News