A new genetic therapy not only helped blind mice regain enough light sensitivity to distinguish flashing from non-flashing lights, but also restored light response to the retinas of dogs, setting the stage for future clinical trials of the therapy in humans.
The therapy employs a virus to insert a gene for a common ion channel into normally blind cells of the retina that survive after the light-responsive rod and cone photoreceptor cells die as a result of diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa. Photoswitches – chemicals that change shape when hit with light – are then attached to the ion channels to make them open in response to light, activating the retinal cells and restoring light sensitivity.
Afflicting people of all ages, retinitis pigmentosa causes a gradual loss of vision, akin to losing pixels in a digital camera. Sight is lost from the periphery to the center, usually leaving people with the inability to navigate their surroundings. Some 100,000 Americans suffer from this group of inherited retinal diseases.
In a paper appearing online this week in the early edition of the journalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, scientists who invented the photoswitch therapy and vision researchers at the School of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania (PennVet) report that blind mice regained the ability to navigate a water maze as well as normal mice.
The treatment worked equally well to restore light responses to the degenerated retinas of mice and dogs, indicating that it may be feasible to restore some light sensitivity in blind humans.
“The dog has a retina very similar to ours, much more so than mice, so when you want to bring a visual therapy to the clinic, you want to first show that it works in a large animal model of the disease,” said lead researcher Ehud Isacoff, professor of molecular and cell biology at UC Berkeley. “We’ve now showed that we can deliver the photoswitch and restore light response to the blind retina in the dog as well as in the mouse, and that the treatment has the same sensitivity and speed of response. We can reanimate the dog retina.”
The Latest on: Restoring vision
via Google News
The Latest on: Restoring vision
- This couple is restoring buildings, revitalizing downtown Dunlapon November 28, 2020 at 9:04 am
As they age, some small towns need heart surgery.Dunlap, Tennessee, is a case in point. With about 4,800 souls, the Sequatchie County seat — a bustling coal-mining town in the early 20th century — is ...
- Column: Habitat restoration helps connect man, natureon November 28, 2020 at 4:00 am
Have you noticed that those who hunger for the outdoors and discovering the many mysteries of nature often talk most about the birds, mammals, insects and snakes they saw? Wildlife is that ultimate ...
- Vision 20: Will This Zenith Labs Supplement Improves Eyesight? Read This Reviewon November 27, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Infection or damage to your lens may darken the light that passes through your lens cells, causing your vision to decline. While the numbers are rising, so are pharmaceutical companies focused and ...
- Hong Kong's Lam says restoring 'political system from chaos' is priorityon November 25, 2020 at 11:16 pm
The Hong Kong government's priority is to "restore the political system from chaos", Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Wednesday in her annual policy address, which did not deliver blockbuster steps ...
- Biden's aim to restore U.S. leadership could be tall order in a changed worldon November 24, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Elect Joe Biden faces a challenging task fulfilling his foreign policy vision of the United States reclaiming its global leadership role after years in which the country stepped back and rival powers ...
- West Aurora Habitat ReStore to hold Black Friday, Small Business Saturday saleson November 24, 2020 at 8:32 pm
Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity's west Aurora ReStore, 2302 W. Indian Trail in Aurora, will hold Black Friday and Small Business Saturday sales Friday and Saturday, Nov. 27-28.
- Biden's foreign policy team lays out a national security vision that differs sharply from Trump'son November 24, 2020 at 8:11 pm
The event gave Americans their first opportunity to hear directly from the nominees, who have decades of experience but are not necessarily household names.
- Antony Blinken: Biden picks loyal lieutenant to lead mission to restore US reputation on world stageon November 24, 2020 at 11:04 am
Antony Blinken, President-elect Joe Biden's pick for secretary of state, has worked with the former vice president for so long that one former State Department official said that "it's difficult to ...
- Kubota Vision Announces Publication of Emixustat’s Pharmacodynamic Effects in Patients with Stargardt Diseaseon November 24, 2020 at 8:01 am
Kubota Vision Inc. (“Kubota Vision”), a clinical-stage ophthalmology company and wholly-owned subsidiary of Kubota Pharmaceutical Holdings Co., Ltd. (Tokyo 4596), today announced the publication of ...
- Research Paper Showing ProtoKinetix AAGP® Enhanced Stem Cell Derived Retina Precursor Cells Restoration of Visionon November 24, 2020 at 5:19 am
ProtoKinetix, Incorporated ( (the 'Company' or 'ProtoKinetix') (OTCQB: PKTX), a clinical-stage biomedical company, today ...
via Bing News