DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- Maha Vikas Aghadi | With numbers on its side, longevity is the challengeon December 1, 2019 at 11:06 pm
The political drama ended on November 26, a day before the apex court-ordered floor test was to be conducted. This has left the ‘numbers versus longevity’ game to be settled for another day. For ...
- Nintendo set to prove Switch's longevity with best holiday shopping season yeton December 1, 2019 at 3:38 pm
The Switch’s performance in its third holiday season will also hold clues for the console’s longevity in an industry where hardware is typically overhauled every five years and rivals Microsoft Corp.
- Intermountain Healthcare Study Shows Intermittent Fasting Increases Longevity in Cardiac Catheterization Patientson December 1, 2019 at 9:51 am
For more information, please see intermountainhealthcare.org. For more information on this press release visit: ...
- WWII veteran who credited longevity to daily Coors Light turns 102on November 30, 2019 at 2:07 am
Drinking beer will apparently keep you young — at least it has done so for WWII veteran Andrew E. Slavonic, who is celebrating his 102nd birthday on Dec. 1. Slavonic, who went viral last year for ...
- Piano ‘Key’ to Centenarian's Longevityon November 30, 2019 at 12:32 am
PORTAGE, Pa. (AP) — Rhea Hornyak prepared to step into the Royal Ballroom earlier this month to celebrate an extraordinary birthday – and nearly a century of song. A former Portage elementary school ...
- Declining longevity rates are a red flag for all Americanson November 29, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Alone among developed countries, the United States has experienced a decline in longevity among its working-age population, 19 to 65, and particularly ages 25 to 35, over the past three years — and no ...
- Longevity Linked to Proteins That Calm Overexcited Neuronson November 26, 2019 at 9:15 am
The firing itself was somehow controlling life span — and in this case, less firing meant more longevity. Because REST was plentiful in the brains of long-lived people, the researchers wondered if lab ...
- With Longer Average Life Spans, Here’s What Loma Linda Residents Teach us About Longevityon November 25, 2019 at 4:07 pm
The religion mandates a healthy lifestyle and a life of service to the church and community, which contributes to their longevity. “As far as I am concerned, stress is a manufactured thing,” Dr.
- How Renowned Supermodel Cindy Crawford Created Career Longevity in the Industryon November 25, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Known to the world as one of the original supermodels, the iconic Cindy Crawford defined the pivotal moment in the industry when fashion models transitioned into stars and style icons in their own ...
- Leveraging AI To Accelerate Precision Health For Longevityon November 24, 2019 at 8:23 pm
People over 50 are the fastest growing demographic group worldwide. This creates both opportunities and challenges for the global economy and healthcare systems. The Longevity Industry, which provides ...
via Bing News