DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- How Longevity App founder turned $62 into $330,000on July 26, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Carla Harris is on a mission to change how much cash Australians have in their bank accounts. She knows she can't change the gender pay gap overnight, but she also wants to really help women grow ... […]
- Carla Harris’ new Longevity App to help Australians save money for their futureon July 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Carla Harris is out to change how much cash Australians have in their bank accounts — and she’s making it easy for anyone with small steps. Carla Harris is on a mission to change how much cash ... […]
- Beyoncé’s Stylist Ty Hunter Shares How He Has Had Longevity In The Gameon July 26, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Ty Hunter is one of the most humble and fashionable souls in the game. Although many associate him with being the two-decades-long stylist for Beyoncé, he is also a motivational speaker, soon-to-be ... […]
- Staying power: Frankie Edgar's longevity at or near the top of UFC rankings is unmatchedon July 25, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Max Holloway was 20 years old and getting set for his third UFC fight on Aug. 11, 2012, in Denver. He was appearing on the main card for the first time. The main event of UFC 150 was a rematch for the ... […]
- KLF-1 orchestrates a xenobiotic detoxification program essential for longevity of mitochondrial mutantson July 25, 2019 at 2:03 am
Most manipulations that extend lifespan also increase resistance to various stress factors and environmental cues in a range of animals from yeast to mammals. However, the underlying molecular ... […]
- Golf legend Tom Watson reveals the secret behind his remarkable longevityon July 24, 2019 at 10:32 am
It is 10 years since Tom Watson came within one hard, fateful bounce of authoring the sports story to end them all and winning the Open on the cusp of his 60th birthday. Now he approaches his 70th ... […]
- Fashion Q&A - How to cut jeans into shorts, increase your makeup's longevity, and moreon July 23, 2019 at 6:54 pm
SEATTLE — Sometimes we all just fake it 'til we make it when it comes to fashion, but Darcy Camden from Styled Seattle is here to answer some questions we've all wondered about in the back of our ... […]
- UNM researchers search for key to longevityon July 22, 2019 at 11:09 pm
“I’ve got one that’s 54 days old!” says Christine Robbins. With a touch of whimsy, she adds, “I think I’m going to name this one Cleopatra.” Robbins, who manages Mark McCormick’s laboratory in UNM’s ... […]
- Longevity planning will be a central mission for advisers of the futureon July 22, 2019 at 2:13 pm
As people live longer, healthier lives, they will need more help managing their money through retirements — which likely will last longer, too. At a recent roundtable discussion hosted by ... […]
- How do advisers estimate a client's longevity?on July 18, 2019 at 12:47 pm
Estimating how long a client will live is an inherently challenging, yet critical task for financial advisers. Lifespan is at the heart of every financial plan, and a misstep could mean the difference ... […]
via Bing News