Lancaster University is about to take the concept of smart cities out of town. Computer scientists at Lancaster University are investigating how the Internet of Things could work in the countryside.
The Internet of Things – which enables object-to-object communication over the internet and real time data monitoring – has typically been associated with urban environments and until now the countryside has been left out in the cold.
Computer scientist Professor Gordon Blair of Lancaster University has won £171,495 from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council to lead a new project in Conwy, North Wales, which will investigate how the Internet of Things could work in the countryside.
Working with partners at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, The British Geological Survey and Bangor University, the project launched on December 1 and will run for 18 months.
Problems from flooding and agricultural pollution to animal movements and drought could all potentially benefit from smart technology in the sticks.
The Internet of Things, which takes everyday objects and hooks them up to the internet, represents a shift in the way we gather and engage with information. Applying this booming technology to the countryside presents challenges – for example how to build a network when there are mountains and trees in the way – but researchers believe the benefits could be huge.
Sheep with digital collars, sensors on riverbanks, rainfall and river flow monitors could all soon form part of the project.
The Latest on: Internet of Things
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of Things
- A Changing Internet: The Convergence Of Blockchain, Internet Of Things, And Artificial Intelligenceon July 5, 2019 at 11:47 am
The internet is evolving beyond its technical infrastructure. As we move towards creating an integrated cyberspace, aquaspace, geospace and space (CAGS) internet of everything (IoE) ecosystem that ... […]
- Global Pipeline Integrity Market Outlook to 2027: The Market is Witnessing the Emergence of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)on July 5, 2019 at 8:12 am
DUBLIN, July 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Pipeline Integrity Market Analysis & Trends - Industry Forecast to 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global ... […]
- Internet Of Things: Counting The Cost Of Cyberattackson July 5, 2019 at 3:17 am
Connectivity is becoming ubiquitous in our daily lives, with appetite from consumers and businesses for connected devices and services sparking the rapid proliferation of the Internet of Things (IoT). ... […]
- Shiseido unveils intelligent skincare system based on Internet of Thingson July 5, 2019 at 1:54 am
Japanese beauty behemoth Shiseido is raising the stakes in skincare technology with the launch of a new pay-monthly app and skincare system named Optune, which promises consumers picture-perfect skin ... […]
- Internet of Robotic Things – Robotics & Intelligence Evolving to Make the New Eraon July 4, 2019 at 7:37 am
Robot can be integrated as an entity in the Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure thereby enabling connections between different entities using diverse communication protocols. Before we delve into ... […]
- Internet of Things (IoT) Testing Market Insights by Size, Status and Forecast 2025on July 4, 2019 at 3:54 am
Latest Study on Industrial Growth of Global Internet of Things (IoT) Testing Market 2019-2025. A detailed study accumulated to offer Latest insights about acute features of the Internet of Things (IoT ... […]
- Internet of Things (IoT) Market 2019 Global Applications, Key Strategies, Industry Size, Segmentation and Regional Trends by Forecast to 2022on July 4, 2019 at 3:05 am
Jul 04, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- According to market research report "Internet of Things (IoT) Market by Software Solution (Real-Time Streaming Analytics, Security Solution, Data Management, Remote ... […]
- Huawei founder predicts internet of things is next US battleon July 3, 2019 at 8:00 pm
The founder of Huawei, Ren Zhengfei, has predicted the next battle with the US will be over the Chinese telecom company’s push into the internet of things (IoT) and smart factories. Huawei has been ... […]
- Internet of Things Professional Services Market Is Booming Worldwide : Capgemini, Cognizant Technology, IBM, Infosyson July 3, 2019 at 11:30 am
Edison, NJ -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/03/2019 -- Latest Study on Industrial Growth of Internet of Things (IoT) Professional Services Market 2019-2025. A detailed study accumulated to offer Latest insights ... […]
- An eco-friendly internet of disposable things is comingon July 3, 2019 at 5:55 am
Get ready for a future of disposable of internet of things (IoT) devices, one that will mean everything is connected to networks. It will be particularly useful in logistics, being used in single-use ... […]
via Bing News