The speech rate of Cambridge scientist Professor Stephen Hawking has doubled and his productivity increased ten-fold because of new technology.
Prof Hawking has revealed how tech giant Intel has created a new interface for his monitor.
This, combined with his speech synthesiser, has doubled the scientist’s speech rate and improved his productivity 10 times over, said the technology giant.
Professor Hawking said: “We are here to talk about how science and technology is improving the lives of people with disabilities.
“We are pushing the boundaries of what is possible through technology – without it I would not be able to speak to you today. Intel’s research and development is bringing about changes in the world and in the way that disabled people can communicate.
“The Intel team and I have been working together for almost three years on upgrading my communication system.
“My old system is more than 20 years old and I was finding difficult to continue to communicate effectively, and to do the things I love to do.
“With the improvements made, I am now able to write much faster, and it means that I can continue to give lectures, write papers and books and, of course, speak with my family and friends more easily. This new system is life changing for me, and I hope it will serve me well for the next 20 years”
At a press conference, Prof Hawking also warned the rise of artificial intelligence could see the human race become extinct.
The Latest on: Stephen Hawking
via Google News
The Latest on: Stephen Hawking
- The gravity of death on June 17, 2019 at 1:15 pm
The contributions of Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking and the countless other astrophysicists and scientists towards unshrouding the mystery of black holes have been etched into our collective ... […]
- Gloria Vanderbilt, Sylvia Miles, Dr. John and other notable celebrity deaths on June 17, 2019 at 7:34 am
Today, there are five Balducci's stores in New York and Connecticut. Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking died on Wednesday, March 14, 2018, at his home in Cambridge. He was 76. Hawking, who was ... […]
- Cosmologists Clash Over the Beginning of the Universe on June 16, 2019 at 5:00 am
Stephen Hawking chose the august setting to present what he would later regard as his most important idea: a proposal about how the universe could have arisen from nothing. Original story reprinted ... […]
- Hollywood Flashback: Stephen Hawking Guest-Starred on 'Big Bang Theory' in 2012 on June 15, 2019 at 9:06 am
The famed physicist was often in voiceovers, in seven episodes, for the CBS comedy, with his most substantial appearance in the Season five episode, "The Hawking Excitation," as creator Chuck Lorre ... […]
- Black holes and The Flash: new book explores why people fear particle accelerators on June 14, 2019 at 7:06 am
and a biography of Stephen Hawking, among others. The intersection of science and pop culture evident in her past work is a solid clue to the contents of Particle Panic!. In just 194 pages she ... […]
- “The Pope” brings drama of Benedict and Francis to stage on June 13, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Three of the last five Best Actor Oscars have gone to men playing historical figures in films written by McCarten: Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in 2014’s “The Theory of Everything ... […]
- Stephen Hawking Lesson for Kids: Biography & Facts on June 13, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Stephen Hawking really wanted to study this subject in college but was unable to because the university did not offer this as a major of study. ... […]
- Hawking’s chaotic contribution to revolutionary physics on June 11, 2019 at 7:07 am
Stephen Hawking, pictured here in 2010, led the intellectual charge to find connections between black holes and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Stephen Hawking thought a lot about black holes. ... […]
- Soon After Seeing The First Black Hole's Picture, Physicists Prove Stephen Hawking's Theory On 'Black Hole Evaporation' on June 11, 2019 at 6:37 am
After putting stupendous efforts to capture the first picture of a black hole, physicists have now shown that black holes eventually evaporate entirely The famous physicist Stephen Hawking had ... […]
- Stephen Hawking Was Right: Black Holes Can Evaporate, Weird New Study Shows on June 10, 2019 at 2:23 pm
In 1974, Stephen Hawking made one of his most famous predictions: that black holes eventually evaporate entirely. According to Hawking's theory, black holes are not perfectly "black" but instead ... […]
via Bing News