The speech rate of Cambridge scientist Professor Stephen Hawking has doubled and his productivity increased ten-fold because of new technology.
Prof Hawking has revealed how tech giant Intel has created a new interface for his monitor.
This, combined with his speech synthesiser, has doubled the scientist’s speech rate and improved his productivity 10 times over, said the technology giant.
Professor Hawking said: “We are here to talk about how science and technology is improving the lives of people with disabilities.
“We are pushing the boundaries of what is possible through technology – without it I would not be able to speak to you today. Intel’s research and development is bringing about changes in the world and in the way that disabled people can communicate.
“The Intel team and I have been working together for almost three years on upgrading my communication system.
“My old system is more than 20 years old and I was finding difficult to continue to communicate effectively, and to do the things I love to do.
“With the improvements made, I am now able to write much faster, and it means that I can continue to give lectures, write papers and books and, of course, speak with my family and friends more easily. This new system is life changing for me, and I hope it will serve me well for the next 20 years”
At a press conference, Prof Hawking also warned the rise of artificial intelligence could see the human race become extinct.
The Latest on: Stephen Hawking
via Google News
The Latest on: Stephen Hawking
- Community involvement vital in battling depressionon September 8, 2019 at 2:46 pm
As Stephen Hawking once said, "Quiet people have the loudest minds." Introverted, quiet people tend to be more introspective and sensitive and they often set high expectations for themselves.
- Are We All Wrong About Black Holes?on September 8, 2019 at 1:00 am
Stephen Hawking proved that the area of a black hole’s event horizon—the surface that marks its boundary—cannot decrease. That sounded suspiciously like the second law of thermodynamics, which says ...
- Weekend: Linda Ronstadt Doc; Eddie Redmayne + Felicity Jones Reunite; Modern Mariachi Music; and moreon September 7, 2019 at 2:00 pm
When Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones last acted together they each got Oscar nominations and Redmayne won. That was for the Stephen Hawking story “The Theory of Everything.” Now they’ve reunited for ...
- BGT champ Lost Voice Guy sick of being asked “Are you as clever as Stephen Hawking?”on September 5, 2019 at 1:37 pm
EXCLUSIVE: Lost Voice Guy, Lee Ridley is back in ITV’s BGT: The Champions this weekend, so we caught up with him to find out what’s been going on ...
- Founder of MIT's Media Lab Continues to Believe Taking Money From Epstein in 2013 Was Justifiedon September 5, 2019 at 8:45 am
throwing millions at institutions like Harvard University and MIT as well as an array of prominent scientists including the late Stephen Hawking, whom he would, incidentally, tell of his truly ...
- Black hole portrait wins Breakthrough Prize for Event Horizon Telescope’s teamon September 5, 2019 at 8:14 am
Past winners have included the late British physicist Stephen Hawking and the teams behind the Large Hadron Collider (for discovering the Higgs Boson), the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave ...
- The Delusion of Scientific Omniscienceon September 4, 2019 at 5:30 am
Stephen Hawking was the most influential know-it-all. In his 1988 mega-bestseller A Brief History of Time, Hawking predicted that physicists would soon find an “ultimate theory” that would ...
- Striving for Imprefection: Universal thoughtson September 3, 2019 at 1:37 am
Most likely, scientists such as Bill Nye (known as “The Science Guy”), Stephen Hawking, or Jane Goodall would not rise to the top. After all, they’re “left brain” type folks; they’re not into that ...
- Stephen Hawking had pinned his hopes on ‘M-theory’ to fully explain the universe—here’s what it ison September 2, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Rumour has it that Albert Einstein spent his last few hours on Earth scribbling something on a piece of paper in a last attempt to formulate a theory of everything. Some 60 years later, another ...
- Trumpy Bear and the For-Profits Daring to Skirt Election Lawson September 1, 2019 at 9:05 pm
An ad hawking the teddy bear — complete with a comb-over ... Look at the boycotts of Equinox Gym and SoulCycle after it was revealed that the owner of their parent company, Stephen Ross, had hosted a ...
via Bing News