Graphene membranes could be used to ‘sieve’ hydrogen gas from the atmosphere to then generate electricity, say Nobel Prize-winning researchers.
The Nobel Prize winners for graphene research, Andre Geim of Manchester University and colleagues, have revealed a new application for the ultra-thin, ultra-strong material that could revolutionize fuel cell technology and open new doors for generating clean energy, reports Reuters.
Graphene, which was first isolated in 2004, is the thinnest material on Earth at just one atom thick, and is 200 times stronger than steel. It is impermeable to all gases and liquids, making it extremely useful, and its discovery paved the way for everything from corrosion-proof coating to super-thin condoms.
In their latest research, Geim and his team have also shown that this super-material could potentially be used for “sieving” hydrogen gas from the atmosphere, for the purpose of generating electricity. The finding could make hydrogen fuel cells more viable than ever before, and even make it possible to collect fuel right out of the air.
“We are very excited about this result because it opens a whole new area of promising applications for graphene in clean energy harvesting and hydrogen-based technologies,” said Geim’s co-researcher on the study, Marcelo Lozada-Hidalgo.
The Latest on: Graphene
via Google News
The Latest on: Graphene
- Global Graphene Composites Market Outcomes-Centered Research and Business Growth Strategies 2030|| Says Market.uson November 11, 2020 at 5:16 am
Radical Growth of Global Graphene Composites Market Provides an updated and current analysis of the industry's ...
- Graphene Battery Market Size to Reach USD 398.6 Million by 2027 | CAGR of 31.2% - Valuates Reportson November 9, 2020 at 6:00 pm
A new Graphene Battery Market Research Report published on Valuates Reports in Electronics & Electrical Category. The report ...
- Graphene Market Research Business Opportunity, Global Trend, Future Growth, Key Findings and Forecast to 2026on November 4, 2020 at 4:46 pm
The globalgraphene marketsize is expected to showcase a considerable growth by reaching USD 2,864.1 million by 2027.
- Corporate Universe Acquires Medicevo Corporation, with Exclusive License for Graphene Face Maskson November 4, 2020 at 6:00 am
NEW YORK, NY / ACCESSWIRE / November 4, 2020 / Corporate Universe, Inc. (OTC PINK:COUV) is pleased to announce a 51% acquisition of medical supply company, Medicevo Corporation. Medicevo owns the ...
- Global Graphene Market Forecast 2021-2026on November 3, 2020 at 4:40 am
KEY FINDINGS The global graphene market is anticipated to record a CAGR of 33.81%, over the forecast period of 2021 to 2026. The key ...
- First Graphene (ASX:FGR) Is In A Good Position To Deliver On Growth Planson November 1, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Just because a business does not make any money, does not mean that the stock will go down. For example, biotech ...
- Reliable quality-control of graphene and other 2-D materials is routinely possible, researchers sayon October 28, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Graphene and other single-atom-thick substances are a category of wonder materials, with researchers the world over investigating their electronic properties for potential applications in ...
- Graphene-enhanced PPE for COVID-19on October 25, 2020 at 9:11 pm
To tackle this need, nanotechnology researchers from Italy have suggested using bidimensional graphene to improve existing PPE kits. Their research is published on the preprint server medRxiv*.
- Graphene fatigue through van der Waals interactionson October 22, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON M5S3G8, Canada. See allHide authors and affiliations Graphene is often in contact with other materials through ...
- Graphene Doping Reaches New Levelson October 19, 2020 at 8:55 am
New experiments with doped graphene take the two-dimensional material beyond its “Van Hove singularity” to regions that may host exotic states of matter. Figure 1: The electronic band structure of ...
via Bing News