Innovative device detects prostate cancer, kidney disease on the spot
When you flush the toilet, you may be discarding microscopic warning signs about your health.
But a cunningly simple new device can stop that vital information from “going to waste.”
Brigham Young University chemist Adam Woolley and his students made a device that can detect markers of kidney disease and prostate cancer in a few minutes. All you have to do is drop a sample into a tiny tube and see how far it goes.
That’s because the tube is lined with DNA sequences that will latch onto disease markers and nothing else. Urine from someone with a clean bill of health would flow freely through the tube (the farther, the better). But even at ultra-low concentrations, the DNA grabs enough markers to slow the flow and signal the presence of disease.
“In a disease state, this particular marker is equal to about one billionth of a percent of the content of urine.” Woolley said. “We can detect close to those levels. If we can get below that, it would give us better sensitivity for somebody at an early stage of the disease.”
Grad students Debolina Chatterjee and Danielle Mansfield co-authored the study for the journal Analytical Methods using synthetic urine samples. The next step is to do human trials with this “lab on a chip.”
The method holds several advantages over current tests for prostate cancer: No blood draws, instant results and potentially higher accuracy.
The Latest on: Disease diagnostics
via Google News
The Latest on: Disease diagnostics
- Dengue disease awarenesson August 18, 2019 at 11:12 am
Likewise, the society through its module on pediatric dengue diagnosis and management can help increase disease awareness among physicians. Visit www.pidsphil.org for more information.” ...
- More Than 120 Cases of Lung Disease in 15 States Could Be Linked to Vaping, Including 19 Cases in California: Surveyon August 18, 2019 at 10:20 am
“There is no diagnostic code … for lung diseases related to vaping. So it’ll be hard to follow and track,” said Dr. Humberto Choi, a pulmonologist and critical care specialist at the ...
- CDC OKs new two-tier testing algorithm for Lyme diseaseon August 16, 2019 at 10:07 am
The CDC issued an updated recommendation for the serologic diagnosis of Lyme disease, endorsing the use of a two-tier testing algorithm that uses a second enzyme immunoassay, or EIA, in place of a ...
- Viral Disease Diagnosis Market Is Likely to Register Double Digit CAGR During 2017 to 2025on August 16, 2019 at 8:09 am
Viruses are minute organisms that are made up of genetic material and can cause infection in the body. These viruses invade and attach themselves to a host cell, thus killing or altering the function ...
- Prion Disease Diagnostics Market Business Opportunities, Segmentation Analysis, Top Companies and Forecast to 2025on August 16, 2019 at 8:05 am
Prion disease also referred to as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) is a rare condition related to progressive neurodegeneration. Its incidence is observed in humans and animals alike.
- Noninvasive prenatal test shows potential for sickle cell disease diagnosison August 15, 2019 at 5:10 am
A noninvasive prenatal test developed by researchers in the United Kingdom appeared effective for diagnosis of sickle cell disease among a small patient sample. Sickle cell disease currently is ...
- Infectious Disease Diagnostics Market to Surpass US$ 25.7 Billion Threshold by 2026 Globally | Latest Insights on Trends and Challengeson August 13, 2019 at 7:05 am
The global infectious disease diagnostics market size was valued at US$ 15,112.2 million in 2017, and is expected to witness a robust CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period (2018 – 2026). Cepheid ...
- Answering the call for real-time plant disease diagnostics in resource-poor regionson August 13, 2019 at 2:13 am
Plant pests and diseases are a real concern for the global agriculture industry and to food security. Early warning systems are essential to preparing for and combatting plant pests, and rapid ...
- World Autoimmune Disease Diagnosis Market Forecast, 2019-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 9, 2019 at 9:00 am
The "Autoimmune Disease Diagnosis - Market Analysis, Trends, and Forecasts" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Autoimmune Disease Diagnosis market worldwide is projected to ...
- Lyme Disease Diagnostics Market Witness Highest Growth in Near Future | Abbott, T2 Biosystems, Canon Life Sciences, Bio-Radon August 9, 2019 at 5:08 am
Aug 09, 2019 (HTF Market Intelligence via COMTEX) -- AMA recently published a detailed study of over 180+ pages in its database on 'Lyme Disease Diagnostics' market covering interesting aspects of ...
via Bing News