Rice University scientists create dual-purpose film for energy storage, hydrogen catalysis
Rice University scientists who want to gain an edge in energy production and storage report they have found it in molybdenum disulfide.
The Rice lab of chemist James Tour has turned molybdenum disulfide’s two-dimensional form into a nanoporous film that can catalyze the production of hydrogen or be used for energy storage.
The versatile chemical compound classified as a dichalcogenide is inert along its flat sides, but previous studies determined the material’s edges are highly efficient catalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction (HER), a process used in fuel cells to pull hydrogen from water.
Tour and his colleagues have found a cost-effective way to create flexible films of the material that maximize the amount of exposed edge and have potential for a variety of energy-oriented applications.
The films can also serve as supercapacitors, which store energy quickly as static charge and release it in a burst. Though they don’t store as much energy as an electrochemical battery, they have long lifespans and are in wide use because they can deliver far more power than a battery. The Rice lab built supercapacitors with the films; in tests, they retained 90 percent of their capacity after 10,000 charge-discharge cycles and 83 percent after 20,000 cycles.
“We see anodization as a route to materials for multiple platforms in the next generation of alternative energy devices,” Tour said. “These could be fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries. And we’ve demonstrated two of those three are possible with this new material.”
The Latest on: Alternative energy devices
via Google News
The Latest on: Alternative energy devices
- Just Energy Group to Webcast Annual Meeting of Shareholders on June 19, 2019 at 5:00 am
such as water quality and filtration devices; and utility conservation, bringing energy efficient solutions and renewable energy options to consumers. Currently operating in the United States, Canada ... […]
- Floating Islands That Convert Carbon Dioxide to Alternative Fuels Could Be Answer to Global Warming, Study Says on June 18, 2019 at 11:48 am
"The recycling of atmospheric CO2 into synthetic fuels, using renewable energy, offers an energy concept ... is the development of a large-scale device to extract CO2 from seawater," Andreas ... […]
- A new report claims bitcoin is mostly powered by renewable energy. Really? on June 18, 2019 at 9:20 am
Regions with high levels of renewable energy and low demand are often areas that saw local ... Another emerging concern around bitcoin is the electronic waste. The ASIC mining devices quickly go ... […]
- Renewable Energy Schemes Driving Global Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Market: WiseGuyReports on June 17, 2019 at 6:03 am
Adoption of these devices in marine, transport ... with Magnum Development for creating a massive storage center with the capacity of 1,000 MW of renewable energy. The facility will be supported with ... […]
- Global Current-Carrying Wiring Devices Market Outlook 2019-2024 – Focus on Receptacles, Electric Switches, Wire Connectors, and Others on June 14, 2019 at 3:33 am
Opt-into our eNewsletter NOW! For the Latest Trending Financial News Topics in Cannabis, Tech, Biotechs, Precious Metals, Energy, Renewable Energy and much more! Please visit us on a daily basis to ... […]
- AW-Energy installs new substation for Surge2 ocean wave energy in Portugal on June 14, 2019 at 12:40 am
Previous similar references from renewable energy, marine or offshore industry ... by AW-Energy and a loan from Business Finland. The WaveRoller is a device that converts ocean wave energy to ... […]
- Helium launches $51M-funded ‘LongFi’ IoT alternative to cellular on June 13, 2019 at 2:53 am
The hotspots then encrypt and send the data to the company’s cloud that clients can plug into to track and collect info from their devices. The Helium Hotspots only require as much energy as a ... […]
- Vobot SyncDisplay Is A Digital Alternative for Your Sticky Note on June 11, 2019 at 8:16 pm
making it a compelling and sustainable alternative for displays across a range of use cases. Smart booking & scheduling devices for modern offices Vobot first applied this technology to the ... […]
- Holistic view of planning energy self-sufficient communities on June 11, 2019 at 2:06 pm
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 11, 2019 - Sustainable communities supplied by local renewable energy production are beginning to be ... be through utility ownership or operation of distributed devices, such ... […]
- New technology will significantly enhance energy harvest from PV modules on June 11, 2019 at 10:16 am
which transforms the output of the renewable energy source into a current suitable for home appliances. In addition to a converter, a special devices called power optimizer must be used to ... […]
via Bing News