Imagine being able to precisely control specific tissues of a plant to enhance desired traits without affecting the plant’s overall function.
Thus a rubber tree could be manipulated to produce more natural latex. Trees grown for wood could be made with higher lignin content, making for stronger yet lighter-weight lumber. Crops could be altered so that only the leaves and certain other tissues had more wax, thus enhancing the plant’s drought tolerance, while its roots and other functions were unaffected.
By manipulating a plant’s metabolic pathways, two scientists at the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), Henrik Scheller and Dominique Loqué, have figured out a way to genetically rewire plants to allow for an exceptionally high level of control over the spatial pattern of gene expression, while at the same time boosting expression to very high levels. Now they have launched a startup company called Afingen to apply this technology for developing low-cost biofuels that could be cost-competitive with gasoline and corn ethanol.
“With this tool we seem to have found a way to control very specifically what tissue or cell type expresses whatever we want to express,” said Scheller. “It’s a new way that people haven’t thought about to increase metabolic pathways. It could be for making more cell wall, for increasing the stress tolerance response in a specific tissue. We think there are many different applications.”
Afingen was awarded a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant earlier this year for $1.72 million to engineer switchgrass plants that will contain 20 percent more fermentable sugar and 40 percent less lignin in selected structures. The grant was provided under a new SBIR program at DOE that combines an SBIR grant with an option to license a specific technology produced at a national laboratory or university through DOE-supported research.
“Techno-economic modeling done at (the Joint BioEnergy Institute, or JBEI) has shown that you would get a 23 percent reduction in the price of the biofuel with just a 20 percent reduction in lignin,” said Loqué. “If we could also increase the sugar content and make it easier to extract, that would reduce the price even further. But of course it also depends on the downstream efficiency.”
The Latest on: Artificial positive feedback loop
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial positive feedback loop
- Luxury Institute and GLIA Foundation: Empowering Personal Data For Exponential Economic Growthon April 7, 2020 at 5:22 am
Implicit in the "data as oil" analogy behind Big Data is that, beyond other types of information (such as data generated by artificial machines or natural environments), the ... The results return to ...
- Achieving affective human–virtual agent communication by enabling virtual agents to imitate positive expressionson April 6, 2020 at 2:03 am
Advances in artificial intelligence have made ... the participants received feedback on their smile through the agent’s expression. Therefore, the interaction between the effect of being imitated in ...
- Artificial Intelligence in Supply Chain Management Market to 2025 - Analysis, Drivers & Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 1, 2020 at 8:04 am
The "Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Supply Chain Management (SCM ... AI-enabled improvements in supply chain member satisfaction causes a positive feedback loop, leading to better overall SCM ...
- Doctor offers coronavirus protection adviceon March 24, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Through a positive feedback loop, administration of Ang 1-7 also ... television or use a video screen after mid-night. Limit artificial lighting at night. Cherry juices contains low levels of ...
- Loop-loaded nanosheets accelerate discovery of artificial antibodieson March 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Berkeley Lab researchers managed to create a new system of screening artificial antibodies. The system starts with a nanosheet made up of molecules called peptoids. This is then coated in loops of ...
- AI in the Global Supply Chain Management Market, 2020-2025 - Cloud-based AIaaS for SCM Will Reach $1.9B by 2025, Globallyon March 16, 2020 at 2:25 am
Various forms of Artificial Intelligence (AI ... AI-enabled improvements in supply chain member satisfaction causes a positive feedback loop, leading to better overall SCM performance.
- Virtual health in focuson March 11, 2020 at 11:04 am
Care Model Transformation Impact: Tele-healthcare has also demonstrated a positive impact on the ... biometric sensors to AI engines and feedback loops. The AI engines are equipped with neural ...
- Level Up: spaCy NLP for the Winon March 10, 2020 at 6:01 am
Natural language processing (NLP) is a branch of artificial intelligence in which ... To see this in action, loop over each token in the document and print out the part of speech, lemma, and ...
- Forget about artificial intelligence, extended intelligence is the futureon March 3, 2020 at 4:00 pm
It fails to account for how systems work in the wild and relies solely on an argument about data and compute power and positive feedback loops with no dampening or competitive response.
- Computational methods to model complex systems in sports injury research: agent-based modelling (ABM) and systems dynamics (SD) modellingon November 29, 2019 at 10:55 pm
13 Altering cell populations and the artificial administration of different ... to describe the positive (ie, reinforcing) and negative (ie, balancing) feedback loops that underpin the behaviour of ...
via Bing News