UTAH ENGINEERS CREATE FUEL CELL THAT CAN RUN WITHOUT HIGH HEAT
University of Utah engineers developed the first room-temperature fuel cell that uses enzymes to help jet fuel produce electricity without needing to ignite the fuel. Developed in collaboration with CFD Research Corp, these new fuel cells can be used to power portable electronics, off-grid power and sensors.
A study of the new cells appears online today in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Catalysis.
Fuel cells convert energy into electricity through a chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxygen-rich source such as air. If a continuous flow of fuel is provided, a fuel cell can generate electricity cleanly and cheaply. While batteries are used commonly to power electric cars and generators, fuel cells also now serve as power generators in some buildings, or to power fuel-cell vehicles such as prototype hydrogen-powered cars.
“The major advance in this research is the ability to use Jet Propellant-8 directly in a fuel cell without having to remove sulfur impurities or operate at very high temperature,” says the study’s senior author, Shelley Minteer, a University of Utah professor of materials science and engineering, and also chemistry. “This work shows that JP-8 and probably others can be used as fuels for low-temperature fuel cells with the right catalysts.” Catalysts are chemicals that speed reactions between other chemicals.
In the new study, the University of Utah team investigated Jet Propellant-8 or JP-8, a kerosene-based jet fuel that is used by the U.S. military in extreme conditions such as scorching deserts or subzero temperatures.
Converting this jet fuel into electricity is difficult using standard techniques because jet fuel contains sulfur, which can impair metal catalysts used to oxidize fuel in traditional fuel cells. The conversion process is also inefficient, with only 30 percent of the fuel converted to electricity under the best conditions.
To overcome these constraints, the Utah researchers used JP-8 in an enzymatic fuel cell, which uses JP-8 for fuel and enzymes as catalysts. Enzymes are proteins that can act as catalysts by speeding up chemical reactions. These fuel cells can operate at room temperature and can tolerate sulfur.
The Latest on: Fuel cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Fuel cell
- Automotive Fuel Cell Market Projected to Reach 932.6 Thousand Units by 2028on February 17, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Automotive Fuel Cell Market by Component (Fuel Processor, Fuel Stack, Power Conditioner, Air Compressor, Humidifier), Power Output (150kW, 150– 250kW, >250kW), H2 Fuel Station, Vehicle Type (PC, LCV, ...
- Increasing the service life of polymer electrolyte fuel cells with a nanodispersed ionomeron February 17, 2020 at 8:15 am
Protons (subatomic particles) can be transferred from the anode to the cathode through the ionomer membrane in polymer electrolyte fuel cells (PEFC). Scientists can extend proton pathways by ...
- Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell Market to Hit USD 1.12...on February 17, 2020 at 2:26 am
Pune, Feb. 17, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The global phosphoric acid fuel cell market size is projected to reach USD 1.12 billion by 2026, surging at a CAGR of 19.0% during the forecast period. Rising ...
- If You Like Fuel Cell Energy, Bloom Energy Might Be The Safer Beton February 15, 2020 at 6:23 pm
[[Correction: This article was updated on Feb. 14. 2020, to correct details about FuelCell.]]FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) reported fourth-quarter results on Jan. 22. They were disappointing, sending ...
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Revenue Analysis Report with Future Business Scope & New Investment plans for next 5 yearson February 14, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Identify Sales forecasts to help your business keep adequate inventory, create an actionable plan with latest edition released by AMA on Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market to regulate the ...
- Iodide salts stabilize biocatalysts for fuel cellson February 14, 2020 at 6:45 am
They believe that this will enable the widespread implementation of other electrocatalytic processes in real applications. This also includes energy conversion processes such as solar fuel generation ...
- Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles Market is Thriving Worldwide with Growth Rate of 45.0%on February 14, 2020 at 4:27 am
This intelligence report provides a comprehensive analysis of the Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles Market. This includes Investigation of past progress, ongoing market scenarios, and future prospects. Data ...
- Fuel Cell Market growth predicted at 13% till 2026, Revenue to cross USD 9 Billion-mark: Global Market Insights, Inc.on February 13, 2020 at 4:29 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, Feb. 13, 2020 -- According to latest report “Fuel Cell Market by Product (PEMFC, DMFC, SOFC), Application (Stationary, Portable, Transport), Regional.
- A Fuel-Cell Maker Misreported Nearly Four Years of Revenueon February 13, 2020 at 5:44 am
Bloom Energy Corp. will restate nearly four years of earnings after reporting an accounting error that boosted revenues for one of the fuel-cell company’s services. Correcting the error, which the ...
- Stationary Fuel Cells Market analysis (Report 2019-2027): market size US$ 3.41 Billion in 2018on February 12, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Sanjose, CA USA, January 30, 2020 (Wired Release) Credence Research The global market for Stationary Fuel Cells is worth US$ 3.41 billion in 2018 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 11.1 per cent ...
via Bing News