UTAH ENGINEERS CREATE FUEL CELL THAT CAN RUN WITHOUT HIGH HEAT
University of Utah engineers developed the first room-temperature fuel cell that uses enzymes to help jet fuel produce electricity without needing to ignite the fuel. Developed in collaboration with CFD Research Corp, these new fuel cells can be used to power portable electronics, off-grid power and sensors.
A study of the new cells appears online today in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Catalysis.
Fuel cells convert energy into electricity through a chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxygen-rich source such as air. If a continuous flow of fuel is provided, a fuel cell can generate electricity cleanly and cheaply. While batteries are used commonly to power electric cars and generators, fuel cells also now serve as power generators in some buildings, or to power fuel-cell vehicles such as prototype hydrogen-powered cars.
“The major advance in this research is the ability to use Jet Propellant-8 directly in a fuel cell without having to remove sulfur impurities or operate at very high temperature,” says the study’s senior author, Shelley Minteer, a University of Utah professor of materials science and engineering, and also chemistry. “This work shows that JP-8 and probably others can be used as fuels for low-temperature fuel cells with the right catalysts.” Catalysts are chemicals that speed reactions between other chemicals.
In the new study, the University of Utah team investigated Jet Propellant-8 or JP-8, a kerosene-based jet fuel that is used by the U.S. military in extreme conditions such as scorching deserts or subzero temperatures.
Converting this jet fuel into electricity is difficult using standard techniques because jet fuel contains sulfur, which can impair metal catalysts used to oxidize fuel in traditional fuel cells. The conversion process is also inefficient, with only 30 percent of the fuel converted to electricity under the best conditions.
To overcome these constraints, the Utah researchers used JP-8 in an enzymatic fuel cell, which uses JP-8 for fuel and enzymes as catalysts. Enzymes are proteins that can act as catalysts by speeding up chemical reactions. These fuel cells can operate at room temperature and can tolerate sulfur.
The Latest on: Fuel cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Fuel cell
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Competitive Analysis 2019-2026 – Honda, Toyota, Hyundaion June 25, 2020 at 1:24 am
Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is a type of vehicle that uses a hydrogen fuel cell to power its on-board electric motor. This vehicle does not release any greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions during vehicle ...
- An innovative catalyst with nanoparticles as anode material in ethanol fuel cellson June 24, 2020 at 10:39 am
Scientists working at the Department for Functional Nanomaterials at the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences designed and synthesized a functional ternary Pt/Re/SnO2/C ...
- Worldwide Automotive Fuel Cell Industry to 2026 - Key Drivers and Restraintson June 24, 2020 at 4:00 am
The "Global Automotive Fuel Cell Market Analysis 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Automotive ...
- New Polymer Glass Eyed for Fuel Cellson June 24, 2020 at 2:27 am
Scientists long have considered the fuel cell as a promising, clean source of energy—especially for vehicles—and they have been making some gains in creating efficient and cost-effective technology ...
- Burden of COVID-19 on the Market & Rehabilitation Plan | Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stacks Market 2019-2023 | Favorable Government Regulations and Initiatives to Boost Growth ...on June 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stacks Market 2019-2023 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring ...
- Fuel Cell Maker Wants to Supply Gas for Hydrogen Economyon June 23, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Plug Power Inc. has acquired two hydrogen companies for $123 million, moves that could turn the veteran manufacturer of fuel cells into a major supplier of the fuel that runs them.
- Nikola claims to be BEV and fuel cell leader, hasn't delivered a vehicle yeton June 23, 2020 at 6:00 am
The truck-oriented company is betting that hydrogen fuel cells—including the infrastructure pieces—will cost less than batteries.
- Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Expecting Swift Growth Till 2025 as Governments Invest into Development of Pollution-Free Vehicles | Million Insightson June 23, 2020 at 1:56 am
The global Fuel Cell Vehicle Market size is projected to touch USD 1.75 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Million Insights. The market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 33.7% over the ...
- Plug Power Stock Will Soar on Increasing Use of Hydrogen Fuel Cellson June 22, 2020 at 9:16 am
Plug Power has signed big deals with Amazon and Walmart, and the growing profile of hydrogen fuel cells is more good news for PLUG stock.
- Insights on the Automotive Fuel Cell Global Market to 2026 - Opportunity Analysis for New Entrantson June 22, 2020 at 5:24 am
The "Global Automotive Fuel Cell Market Analysis 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Automotive Fuel Cell market is expected to reach $14,409.71 million by ...
via Bing News