Many Interacting Worlds theory challenges foundations of quantum science
Griffith University academics are challenging the foundations of quantum science with a radical new theory based on the existence of, and interactions between, parallel universes.
In a paper published in the prestigious journal Physical Review X, Professor Howard Wiseman and Dr Michael Hall from Griffith’s Centre for Quantum Dynamics, and Dr Dirk-Andre Deckert from the University of California, take interacting parallel worlds out of the realm of science fiction and into that of hard science.
The team proposes that parallel universes really exist, and that they interact. That is, rather than evolving independently, nearby worlds influence one another by a subtle force of repulsion. They show that such an interaction could explain everything that is bizarre about quantum mechanics
Quantum theory is needed to explain how the universe works at the microscopic scale, and is believed to apply to all matter. But it is notoriously difficult to fathom, exhibiting weird phenomena which seem to violate the laws of cause and effect.
As the eminent American theoretical physicist Richard Feynman once noted: “I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.”
However, the “Many-Interacting Worlds” approach developed at Griffith University provides a new and daring perspective on this baffling field.
“The idea of parallel universes in quantum mechanics has been around since 1957,” says Professor Wiseman.
“In the well-known “Many-Worlds Interpretation”, each universe branches into a bunch of new universes every time a quantum measurement is made. All possibilities are therefore realised – in some universes the dinosaur-killing asteroid missed Earth. In others, Australia was colonised by the Portuguese.
“But critics question the reality of these other universes, since they do not influence our universe at all. On this score, our “Many Interacting Worlds” approach is completely different, as its name implies.”
Professor Wiseman and his colleagues propose that:
- The universe we experience is just one of a gigantic number of worlds. Some are almost identical to ours while most are very different;
- All of these worlds are equally real, exist continuously through time, and possess precisely defined properties;
- All quantum phenomena arise from a universal force of repulsion between ‘nearby’ (i.e. similar) worlds which tends to make them more dissimilar.
Dr Hall says the “Many-Interacting Worlds” theory may even create the extraordinary possibility of testing for the existence of other worlds.
The Latest on: Parallel worlds
via Google News
The Latest on: Parallel worlds
- NEUCHIPS Announces World's First Deep Learning Recommendation Model (DLRM) Accelerator: RecAccelon May 12, 2020 at 1:59 am
NEUCHIPS Corp., an AI compute company specializing in domain-specific accelerator solutions, announced the world's first recommendation engine - RecAccelTM - that can perform 500,000 inferences per ...
- History Lesson: How World War III Almost Started in the Middle East in 1956on May 8, 2020 at 9:21 pm
British and French attack on Suez, and the parallel 1956 Israel-Egypt War, have to be among the strangest conflicts in history. The cast of characters includes two fading ...
- The Parallel Between Corporate COVID-19 Messaging And Expressing Sympathy After A Deathon May 8, 2020 at 6:33 am
There was an article on Forbes that caught my attention because it’s a pattern in advertising I’m sure we’ve all recognized: Every COVID-19 Commercial Is Exactly The Same. When I get a moment in ...
- The King: Eternal Monarch episode 7 trailer: Woo Do Hwan walks into the parallel world with Lee Min Hoon May 8, 2020 at 6:26 am
Eternal Monarch have released the trailer of the 7th episode of the show. In the previous episode, Emperor Lee Gon (Lee ...
- MLB's shortened 1981 schedule a possible parallel for this seasonon May 7, 2020 at 4:10 pm
Schmidt earned his second straight National League MVP award, but he might have compiled even more impressive numbers given a full season. The season began with Fernandomania and ended with a classic ...
- 7 Alternate Reality and Parallel Universe Series That People Are Binge-watching During Lockdownon May 6, 2020 at 6:55 am
Alternate reality makes you ask questions like “what if?” introducing you to the world of multiple possibilities and shows that will leave you spellbound ...
- 37th Parallel Properties Closes on Austin, San Antonio Portfolioon May 6, 2020 at 5:41 am
PRNewswire/ -- 37th Parallel Properties Investment Group ('37th Parallel') is pleased to announce the acquisition of ...
- Deforestation and world population sustainability: a quantitative analysison May 6, 2020 at 2:25 am
In this paper we afford a quantitative analysis of the sustainability of current world population growth in relation to the parallel deforestation process adopting a statistical point of view. We ...
- Westworld Creators Address Season 3 Finale's Eerie Parallel to Coronavirus Pandemicon May 5, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Over the course of three seasons of Westworld, the series has attempted to draw real-world parallels to the nature of technology, artificial intelligence, and how these all relate to human nature, ...
- Visionary Thriller THE SERPENT'S THRONE Suggests That Dreams Can be a Parallel Reality … Created by a Separate Consciousnesson May 4, 2020 at 5:32 am
International author V.S. Marlowe's THE SERPENT'S THRONE -- a new thriller that claims the battle to save earth's climate and ...
via Bing News