Chemists have developed a revolutionary new way to manufacture natural chemicals by clipping smaller molecules together like Lego. They have used the new method to assemble a scarce anti-inflammatory drug with potential to treat cancer and malaria, pseudopterosin.
“We took small molecules and clipped them together like Lego,” said lead researcher Professor Michael Sherburn, from the Research School of Chemistry.
“The building blocks are carefully designed in such a way that the first reaction generates a product perfectly primed for the second. It’s quite magical. This means you can efficiently build large and complex molecules.”
Medicines of this type have traditionally been made in a cumbersome way. Chemists take a related molecule and renovate it. This is a lengthy process, with unwanted structural features being ripped out and replaced.
“This leads to a lot of waste,” Professor Sherburn said.
The group trialed their innovative new method by making pseudopterosin, a powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic drug, which is currently only available in tiny quantities extracted from fan coral found in the Bahamas.
The work began as blue-sky research, with the researchers trying to work out a way to make supposedly impossible molecules of cross-conjugated hydrocarbons.
Before trying the experiments the team ran simulations on the Raijin supercomputer, which indicated that their method had potential.
“Ours is an empowering and enabling technique, allowing a smarter and faster way to make important substances,” said Dr Chris Newton, who did the research in the laboratory as a PhD student.
The Latest on: Manufacturing new drugs
via Google News
The Latest on: Manufacturing new drugs
- Coronavirus: New COVID-19 drug developed by Saudi Arabian company, US partnerson June 28, 2020 at 6:01 am
A Saudi Arabian company is developing a coronavirus preventative drug set to be out next year, in collaboration with American scientists at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. The drug, an ...
- Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Size 2020: An Introduction, Market Status, Future Forecast Indicates Impressive Growth Rate up to 2026on June 28, 2020 at 4:34 am
The global Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market size is expected to reach USD 91.2 billion by 2026, at a significant growth rate of 14.3% during the forecasted period from 2020 to 2026. The market ...
- 3 Maine women accused of selling heroin as part of New York to Maine drug ringon June 26, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Maine women accused of selling heroin as part of New York to Maine drug ring - The Maine women are each charged with conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute heroin and at least 280 grams of ...
- First-ever drug by Needham biotech gets FDA approval at long laston June 26, 2020 at 12:10 pm
The approval comes four years after Chiasma had hoped to launch a drug for the rare hormone disorder that afflicted actor and professional wrestler Andre the Giant.
- Moderna Partners with Catalent to Deepen COVID-19 Manufacturing Capabilitieson June 26, 2020 at 8:37 am
It also has expertise in sterile formulation for a wide range of drug types ... starting in 2021 between its internal U.S. manufacturing site, its collaboration with Switzerland-based Lonza, and the ...
- Race for a COVID-19 vaccine has drug makers scaling up manufacturing — before one is developedon June 26, 2020 at 2:46 am
Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. has yet to share results from the Phase 1 trial for its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, but has already received millions of ...
- Massachusetts State Police receive $5M federal grant to combat illicit drug manufacturing, distributionon June 25, 2020 at 5:04 am
Massachusetts has been among the states with the highest rates of opioid-involved overdose deaths, but has one of the lowest rates of opioid prescribing levels ...
- Drug abuse in China continues to drop, new types of drugs camouflaged as food make detection difficulton June 25, 2020 at 3:22 am
A worker weighs drugs at the workshop of a pharmaceutical company in Haikou, south China's Hainan Province, on Feb. 3, 2020. (Xinhua File photo) China’s National Narcotics Control Commission (NNCC) ...
- Mayne Pharma Announces FDA Filing Acceptance of New Drug Application for E4/DRSP in the USon June 23, 2020 at 9:10 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Mayne Pharma Group Limited (ASX: MYX) is pleased to announce the New Drug Application (NDA) for E4/DRSP to prevent pregnancy has been ...
- Louisiana U.S. Attorneys, Department of Justice join in nearly $42 million in funding to combat illegal drug manufacturing and distributionon June 23, 2020 at 1:29 pm
United States Attorneys joined the Department of Justice's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services to announce nearly $42 million in funding to state-level law enforcement agencies in combating ...
via Bing News