North Carolina State University researchers have developed technology that allows cyborg cockroaches, or biobots, to pick up sounds with small microphones and seek out the source of the sound.
The technology is designed to help emergency personnel find and rescue survivors in the aftermath of a disaster.
The researchers have also developed technology that can be used as an “invisible fence” to keep the biobots in the disaster area.
“In a collapsed building, sound is the best way to find survivors,” says Dr. Alper Bozkurt, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at NC State and senior author of two papers on the work.
The biobots are equipped with electronic backpacks that control the cockroach’s movements. Bozkurt’s research team has created two types of customized backpacks using microphones. One type of biobot has a single microphone that can capture relatively high-resolution sound from any direction to be wirelessly transmitted to first responders.
The second type of biobot is equipped with an array of three directional microphones to detect the direction of the sound. The research team has also developed algorithms that analyze the sound from the microphone array to localize the source of the sound and steer the biobot in that direction. The system worked well during laboratory testing. Video of a laboratory test of the microphone array system is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXEPcv-FMw
“The goal is to use the biobots with high-resolution microphones to differentiate between sounds that matter – like people calling for help – from sounds that don’t matter – like a leaking pipe,” Bozkurt says. “Once we’ve identified sounds that matter, we can use the biobots equipped with microphone arrays to zero in on where those sounds are coming from.”
The Latest on: Cyborgs
via Google News
The Latest on: Cyborgs
- Nike Is About to Launch the Metcon 5 — This Is Everything You Need to Knowon July 5, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Worn by elite athletes the world over - from CrossFit fitness cyborgs like Mat Fraser to the big hitters in the NFL grinding out reps - there's very little these cross-training shoes can't do. All of ... […]
- Ultra-small nanoprobes could be a leap forward in high-resolution human-machine interfaceson July 5, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Machine enhanced humans -- or cyborgs as they are known in science fiction -- could be one step closer to becoming a reality, thanks to new research. Machine enhanced humans -- or cyborgs as they are ... […]
- Cyborgs could take over Earth and keep humans as pets, says Gaia theorist James Lovelockon July 4, 2019 at 11:44 am
Cyborgs will overtake humans as the most intelligent lifeform on the planet, and may even keep humans as pets or plants, the British scientist behind the Gaia theory has claimed. James Lovelock, 99, ... […]
- Ultra-small nanoprobes could bring pave the way for cyborgs, say Surrey researcherson July 3, 2019 at 8:57 am
Cyborgs could be one step closer to reality after the Universities of Surrey and Harvard produced scalable ‘nanoprobes’ that could lead to interfaces connecting humans to computers. The tiny U-shaped ... […]
- Is artificial intelligence a (job) killer?on July 3, 2019 at 4:13 am
When we reach this so-called AI singularity, our minds and bodies will be obsolete. Humans may merge with machines and continue to evolve as cyborgs. Is this really what we have to look forward to? AI ... […]
- Why the Terminator is so terrifying: The mind cannot deal with robots that look TOO human because they 'trigger fears they could REPLACE mankind'on July 1, 2019 at 6:00 am
If watching the Terminator left you cowering behind the sofa, you are not alone. When it comes to cyborgs, robots, and AI powered digital helpers the creepiest ones are those which look most like us. ... […]
- We Live in a World of Reliable Miracleson July 1, 2019 at 3:00 am
When I'm having a bad day, I trawl the internet for videos of happy cyborgs. My favorites are clips of hearing-impaired people getting their cochlear implants turned on for the first time. ... […]
- Why Mormonism is the best religion for cyborgson June 27, 2019 at 6:05 am
It feels like we’re finally getting to the magical stage where technology is catching up with our imagination — which of course only means one thing: cyborgs! Science and technology have from ... […]
- Cyberpunk 2077 isn't locked to heterosexual romanceson June 25, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Cyberpunk 2077 is a huge sprawling sci-fi FPS built around massive reactivity and choice, and courting other superhuman cyborgs will be no different. CD Projekt RED aims to go above and beyond with ... […]
- ‘I think humans will become cyborgs in future’on June 24, 2019 at 8:43 am
This is just one of the many audacious yet intriguing predictions Atul Jalan makes in his book, Where Will Man Take Us? Growing up in Calcutta in the 80s, Atul Jalan was introduced to reading with ... […]
via Bing News