New technology allows you to print electronic devices in the same way your inkjet printer prints a document or photo.
Now researchers at Palo Alto Research Center have used this technique to build a portable X-ray imager and small mechanical devices.
“It’s a demonstration of how far this technology can go,” said Tina Ng of the Palo Alto Research Center. She will describe these devices at the AVS 61st International Symposium & Exhibition, being held Nov. 9-14, 2014, in Baltimore, Md.
Making electronics on conventional silicon wafers can be costly and time consuming. Traditional photolithography methods, Ng explained, are complex. You first have to deposit layers of material, place a stencil-like mask on it, and then shine ultraviolet light to etch away the exposed material. You then repeat the process to create the patterns needed to form electronic circuits and devices.
But in the last ten years, researchers have been developing ways to deposit patterns of metals, semiconductors and other material directly, just like how a printer deposits patterns of ink. The materials are dissolved in a liquid solution, which can then be printed on a variety of substrates, such as plastic, paper and even fabric. When the “ink” dries, the material remains.
As a demonstration of this technology, Ng and her colleagues built a digital X-ray sensor. Using printing techniques, the researchers fabricated flexible X-ray imager arrays on plastic films that are much more portable than the behemoths at your dentist’s office. Such a device could be used by doctors in the field, serve as small security scanners or even help soldiers identify bombs in battle.
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
- Insights on the Global Conformal Coating in Electronics Market 2020-2024 | COVID-19 Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats | Technaon November 27, 2020 at 8:03 am
ConformalCoatinginElectronicsMarket--The global conformal coating in the electronics market size is expected to grow by USD 978.13 million during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of almost 8% during ...
- Ynvisible printed intelligent label fights food wasteon November 26, 2020 at 4:14 am
Ynvisible Interactive Inc., a Vancouver-based materials and technology provider in the emerging printed and flexible electronics sector, recently announced that Innoscentia AB has chosen Ynvisible’s ...
- Ynvisible and Innoscentia Are Fighting Food Waste With Printed Intelligent Expiry Date Labelon November 23, 2020 at 11:00 pm
This solution aims to reduce food waste significantly and detect spoiled food in time, even before the expiry date.
- Worldwide Industry for In-Mold Electronics to 2027 - Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 20, 2020 at 6:48 am
Mold Electronics Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Application, Ink Type" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The advent of capacitive touch ...
- Digital news publications in India have one month to share FDI details with the government — and till October next year to complyon November 16, 2020 at 8:45 pm
News websites, portals, aggregators and agencies have been asked to disclose whether they are within the 26% foreign direct investment (FDI) limit to the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry.
- The Centre’s move to bring digital platforms and online media under its control raises more questions than it answerson November 14, 2020 at 10:45 am
They contend that if print and television media are subject to oversight, then there ought to be similar restrictions on digital content providers as well. The internet has evolved in a different era ...
- Expanded Customer Offerings Support Rapid Digital Corrugated Transformation with EFI Nozomi Single-Pass Printerson November 12, 2020 at 12:14 pm
In response to significantly increased volumes of direct-to-board LED-UV inkjet digital production on the award-winning EFI Nozomi C18000 corrugated printing platform, Electronics For Imaging ...
- Graphene Battery Market Size to Reach USD 398.6 Million by 2027 | CAGR of 31.2% - Valuates Reportson November 9, 2020 at 3:10 pm
The report contains segmentation based on Type (Offset Printing, Intaglio Printing, Digital Printing ... increasing demand in consumer electronics and automotive industries, continuous R&D ...
- The Best Portable Printers to Take Your Office Anywhereon November 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm
If you’re just looking to print only photos, this Kodak printer can take you back to a time before digital cameras, when getting an instant print was a game-changer. This little printer fuses ...
- Unmatched Digital Productivity: The EFI Reggiani BOLT Textile Printer Receives the InterTech Technology Awardon November 5, 2020 at 3:06 am
Fremont, Calif. – The ultra-high-speed, single-pass EFI™ Reggiani BOLT digital textile printer from Electronics For Imaging, Inc. has received the InterTech™ Technology Award from PRINTING United ...
via Bing News