We recently had to re-tune our television sets as a result of the introduction of 4G mobile networks.
Their data transmission speed (10 times higher than the 3rd generation’s) required a release of the frequency band hitherto occupied by several TDT channels. 4G is a fact, but we are nearing the 5G revolution. 5G network development is now underway to provide a network capacity one thousand times higher than that of existing mobile networks. But, what is 5G? How will it impact our lives and when will it become available? Who is going to make possible this leap in communications technology?
“5G is NOT 4G+1“, said Mario Campolargo, Director of Net Futures – DG CONNECT at the European Commission. 5G means making the hyper-connected, network society a reality, where objects and people are connected to each other and the information flow is smooth and continuous thanks to systems whose coverage and capacity is almost infinite. Devices that learn from our habits and help us “think better”, connect us to a friend just by thinking about it or ensure continuing medical monitoring, will be a reality in 2020.
“5G networks truly are a technological and social revolution“, recently summed up for EfeFuturo Arturo Azcorra, Director of IMDEA Networks Institute. The concepts of time and distance will be almost inconsequential at a communicational level: “When we achieve a flow of information that exceeds what one person needs or can process on a device, we consider this as immediate response for the user”, points out this expert on devices processing 5GB per second.
This type of connectivity and communication has many implications yet to be evaluated in areas such as medicine, childhood or business, even from a legal perspective. It is a technology whose use will combine external devices such as Google Glasses with “chips embedded in the user or headsets whose interface interacts directly with the brain,” so that “this will not be a display showing information superimposed images, but that reconstructs the image itself” highlighting those items that most interest us, said Azcorra.
The Latest on: 5G
via Google News
The Latest on: 5G
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Pick to Buy for the 5G Revolutionon November 16, 2019 at 9:09 am
The 5G telecom revolution is on the way, and there are numerous tech company's jockeying to provide the hardware to fuel the shift. "There are very few pure plays on 5g. There are, however, companies ...
- Apple Predicted To Lead 5G Smartphone Segment; But Xiaomi Has A Plan To Prevent Thison November 16, 2019 at 3:30 am
The Cupertino-based tech giant is anticipated to be at the helm of the 5G smartphone market come 2020 with the introduction of the iPhone 5G series, says Strategy Analytics. But, that could still ...
- Apple is predicted to beat Samsung and Huawei to become the leader in 5G smartphones next year, even though it's late to the gameon November 15, 2019 at 11:02 am
Apple's iPhone 12, which is expected to be its first 5G smartphone, could make the company the market leader in 5G phones over Samsung.
- 5G Will Have Impact Way, Way Beyond Your Smartphoneon November 15, 2019 at 10:09 am
If you've been following the conversation around 5G connectivity over the past couple of years, you'd know that much of it centers on 5G phones. But 5G could have very real--and far ...
- Huawei exec says its 5G base stations perform better without components from US companies, but it still wants to repair its relationship with Americaon November 15, 2019 at 8:45 am
Huawei has been building new 5G base stations without parts from US companies, and they've been offering better performance, says an executive.
- Will fibre broadband be obsolete by 2030 - and what about 5G?on November 15, 2019 at 7:02 am
Wireless connections can be a useful way to connect remote homes to the internet, but 5G may not be the answer for sparsely populated areas. 5G networks can operate on several different frequencies, ...
- Indonesia Working on 5G Airwave Sale Leaves Door Open for Huaweion November 15, 2019 at 4:45 am
Indonesia is preparing to auction additional airwaves to telecom carriers to allow them offer 5G services and will ensure a level-playing field to wireless equipment suppliers including Huawei ...
- Huawei Could Face Outright 5G Network Ban by Merkel's Own Partyon November 15, 2019 at 4:09 am
Photographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg Photographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg German Chancellor Angela Merkel is coming under pressure from her own party to impose an outright ban on Chinese ...
- Xiaomi is working on a wave of cheap 5G phoneson November 15, 2019 at 3:22 am
Xiaomi is one of the foremost brands in the world when it comes to affordable smartphones, packing impressive specs at a reasonable price. The company has already showed its commitment to cheaper 5G ...
- Dell Technologies on democratising 5G and the future of quantum computingon November 14, 2019 at 2:27 pm
"The lever that you can pull -- it has always worked -- is broad availability to the technology and so something like 5G, our aspiration, we're doing a lot of work right now. Michael specifically, ...
via Bing News