The Swiss Army knife of apartment designs provides 1,000 square feet of living space in an apartment half the size
As cities get more crowded and more expensive, tiny apartments keep getting smaller. And while transformable, space-saving rooms aren’t new–even Thomas Jefferson had an early version of a folding Murphy bed at Monticello–they’re a little awkward to actually live with.
This is why a new apartment design aims to make it easier to live in a tiny space. As you shift activities, you push a button, and the whole apartment automatically rearranges around you.
The design was partially inspired by a simple fact–a single person living in a studio apartment can only be in one space at a time. If you’re in the kitchen, you’re not in the bathroom. If you’re in bed, you’re not in the living room. So is it really necessary to have separate rooms? By condensing everything into a single space, the designers found that they could provide about 100 square meters of living space in an apartment half the size.
Flexible walls slide along grooves in the floor, powered by a motor under the floorboards (the walls can also move manually, for anyone who wants to avoid the accompanying app). As the walls shift into position for a particular activity, they also change shape; lines built into each walls flex and turn into furniture, like a table and chairs. Each wall is made from polypropylene, which the designers realized was flexible enough to bend without wearing out, but also strong enough to support someone sitting or lying on it after it’s transformed into a chair or sofa.
The Latest on: Micro apartment
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro apartment
- A portable washing machine can make apartment living so much better — here's everything you need to know about buying and using oneon February 27, 2020 at 11:12 am
A portable washing machine can be a great addition to an apartment or home that doesn't already have a unit. Here is how to install and use one.
- Brewery space, apartments approved for Kalamazoo’s Northside neighborhoodon February 27, 2020 at 9:49 am
Related: Child care center, 48 apartments planned in $14M Kalamazoo development The city’s brownfield ... This is Galau’s first development and “not your average brownfield project,” he said, calling ...
- Small fire damages Fargo apartmenton February 27, 2020 at 6:00 am
FARGO - A small windowsill fire caused minor damage to inside and outside of an apartment building in Fargo on Thursday, Feb. 27.
- Trotwood apartments reopening after tornadoeson February 27, 2020 at 2:00 am
Just nine months after the Memorial Day tornadoes, a hard-hit Troy apartment complex is set to reopen this week. Westbrook Village Apartments are reopening this Friday, Feb. 28. The apartment ...
- Review: Wayne does good job building suspense in `Apartment'on February 26, 2020 at 4:25 pm
Teddy Wayne has written another campus novel. Coming on the heels of his well-received "Loner" (2016), "Apartment" also serves as something of a parable for red state/blue state America. While the ...
- Small Triad apartment community sells for more than $3 millionon February 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
A Triad apartment community has been sold for $3.005 million. An LLC based in Woodmere, New York, bought Westwood Heights Apartments at 219 Dorothy St. in High Point from Solutions Architects Inc. of ...
- 5 Essential Spring-Cleaning Tips For Small Apartmentson February 23, 2020 at 1:25 am
Maintaining a small apartment is an art form (when you've lived in small spaces, you know), and it requires a whole different set of eyes and priorities than a larger place might. Are you looking ...
- A growing trend of micro apartments has arrived in a luxe Chicago high-rise: robot furnitureon February 20, 2020 at 4:36 pm
The mere words intrigue on their own: robot furniture. But the realities of having a console that can transform a studio’s daytime living space into a cozy bedroom with the push of a button extend ...
- 5 Essential Spring-Cleaning Tips For Small Apartmentson February 20, 2020 at 4:02 pm
The smaller the apartment, the easier it is to keep clean, right? Well . . . not exactly. While yes, you do have less space to worry about when it comes to dusting and scrubbing, it's also easy to ...
- The robot furniture of the future has arrived in luxe Chicago apartments — and soon, it could be yourson February 19, 2020 at 3:22 am
“Small firms are more nimble ... “During our research, a couple told us they called studios ‘divorce apartments,’ because when one person gets angry, the only place they can go is the ...
via Bing News