The Swiss Army knife of apartment designs provides 1,000 square feet of living space in an apartment half the size
As cities get more crowded and more expensive, tiny apartments keep getting smaller. And while transformable, space-saving rooms aren’t new–even Thomas Jefferson had an early version of a folding Murphy bed at Monticello–they’re a little awkward to actually live with.
This is why a new apartment design aims to make it easier to live in a tiny space. As you shift activities, you push a button, and the whole apartment automatically rearranges around you.
The design was partially inspired by a simple fact–a single person living in a studio apartment can only be in one space at a time. If you’re in the kitchen, you’re not in the bathroom. If you’re in bed, you’re not in the living room. So is it really necessary to have separate rooms? By condensing everything into a single space, the designers found that they could provide about 100 square meters of living space in an apartment half the size.
Flexible walls slide along grooves in the floor, powered by a motor under the floorboards (the walls can also move manually, for anyone who wants to avoid the accompanying app). As the walls shift into position for a particular activity, they also change shape; lines built into each walls flex and turn into furniture, like a table and chairs. Each wall is made from polypropylene, which the designers realized was flexible enough to bend without wearing out, but also strong enough to support someone sitting or lying on it after it’s transformed into a chair or sofa.
The Latest on: Micro apartment
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro apartment
- To help homeless women, residents at Natelli apartments forced to find new homeson July 27, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Faith House took over management June 1. Barbara Barnes packed her life into boxes, save for a few items on a small table and the couch currently serving as her bed. Barnes moved into the Natelli ... […]
- Former Residents Of Dallas Apartments Hit By Crane Rally For Answerson July 27, 2019 at 1:20 pm
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Residents held a small rally Saturday morning near ... was killed in the accident at the Elan City Lights apartments on Live Oak Street. And since then, hundreds of ... […]
- Armed Person Suspected of Drinking in Public Wounded in Police Shooting Outside Apartment Building in South L.A.on July 27, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Officers chased them and followed one of them into the courtyard of an apartment building in the ... Video from the scene showed small crowds of people watching as numerous police cars swarmed ... […]
- Dozens gather to mourn 15-year-old girl outside of the apartment where she was shoton July 26, 2019 at 6:07 pm
Na’imah Bell was found shot in the apartment at 102 Massachusetts Ave ... Atlantic City Council President Marty Small addressed the crowd, giving his condolences to Na’Imah’s friends and family on ... […]
- Lockeford bands together after large apartment fireon July 26, 2019 at 4:58 am
YOU CAN TELL HOW MUCH WE LOVE EACH OTHER, THAT WE’LL GET THROUGH THIS. REPORTER: THE SMALL TOWN OF LOCKEFORD SHOWING THEY’VE GOT BIG HEARTS. A large apartment fire rocked the small town of Lockeford ... […]
- Apartment residents to be moved to a hotel as officials scramble to find housingon July 26, 2019 at 2:39 am
The residents of five units in a Valparaiso apartment building infested with bedbugs and cockroaches ... so residents can buy some food to store in their hotel rooms, which have small refrigerators ... […]
- Planned Micro Units in Falls Church Add Urban Flavor to Housing Sceneon July 25, 2019 at 12:45 pm
The size of a micro unit, per Goldman, ranges anywhere from 300-500 square feet, or typically about 20 percent less than a one-bedroom apartment (usually within the 500-600 sq. ft. range) or a studio ... […]
- Affordable 3-bedroom apartments on Charleston peninsula are sitting vacanton July 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm
which manages the apartments for the Charleston Housing Authority. In just one small apartment building, on the corner of Columbus and Nassau streets, there are three empty three-bedroom apartments ... […]
- Two Small Apartment Buildings Approved Downtownon July 24, 2019 at 5:25 pm
The Downtown Commission yesterday approved a plan to build a 19-unit apartment building at 600 E. Broad St. The new building will sit on a small parcel – less than a quarter of an acre – at the corner ... […]
- Spark Ignites Fumed-Filled Apartment Causing Small Explosion in North Parkon July 18, 2019 at 4:59 pm
A spark in a North Park apartment unit filled with fumes created a small but booming flash explosion that burned one man and caused a small fire. Officials said two men were priming the apartment when ... […]
via Bing News