Led by a Stanford biochemist, Impossible Burger is trying to create a veggie burger that is so meaty you won’t notice it’s not real–right down to the fat and connective tissue. And yes, there will be blood.
The Impossible Burger is made from plants, but it isn’t meant for vegetarians. Instead, the burger–which was made to replicate the real thing in every detail, including plant-based “blood” inside–is intended to convert meat-lovers.
“Our target is hard-core meat-eaters, and our goal is to produce the best burger they’ve ever tasted,” says Impossible Foods founder Patrick Brown, a former Stanford University biochemistry professor. “Our ground beef sizzles, smells, feels, and tastes just like ground beef from an animal.”
Brown started the project after asking himself how he could make the most positive impact on the world. “I quickly realized that one of humanity’s biggest challenges is figuring out how to feed 10 billion people without turning the planet into one giant cow pasture,” he says. Already, the world uses 30% of its dry land to raise animals for food, he learned, and that percentage is predicted to rise.
By some estimates, meat production will double by 2020. Raising livestock already accounts for about 18% of greenhouse gas emissions. Beef has the biggest carbon footprint of any meat, and giving up beef may have more impact than giving up a car. But can really real fake meat successfully compete?
The Impossible Burger team started from scratch to analyze every aspect of a real burger. Part of the key to taste, they found, was blood.
“The molecule responsible for the red look of animal meat also provides an important component of meat’s taste,” Brown says. “Our ‘plant blood’ contains the same molecule, and is the main reason our plant meat tastes like animal meat when you cook it. The only difference is that we get our “blood” from plants instead of an animal.”
The burger also duplicates things like fat and connective tissue so the texture feels right.
The Latest on: Plant burger
via Google News
The Latest on: Plant burger
- The Best Plant-Based Burgers You Can Buy at the Storeon January 9, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Veggie burgers have been around for decades, but it's only recently that they started to… bleed. You've probably spotted these bleeding plant-based burgers at restaurants (these days, there’s even an ...
- Plant-based protein maker Tofurky enters meatless burger marketon January 9, 2020 at 10:58 am
Tofurky, a 40-year veteran in the plant-based meat market, is jumping into the current craze for beef-tasting plant burgers. The Hood River-based company Wednesday introduced its new plant-based ...
- Burger King to test plant-based Impossible Croissan’wichon January 9, 2020 at 4:30 am
The Impossible Croissan’wich includes a seasoned, plant-based sausage patty from Silicon Valley’s Impossible Foods, eggs and melted American cheese on a croissant. Move over, Impossible Whopper.
- Beyond Meat and McDonald’s Expand Canada Plant Burger Teston January 8, 2020 at 6:18 pm
McDonald’s Corp. and Beyond Meat Inc. are expanding their partnership -- a significant step forward for the fast-growing faux meat producer. Fifty-two restaurants in southwestern Ontario will now ...
- Are Plant-Based Burgers Really Better Than Red Meat?on January 8, 2020 at 4:02 pm
It’s the battle of the burgers. When Beyond Meat and Impossible Burger first dropped their plant-based products, they could barely stay on the supermarket shelves—people went crazy for them. Finally, ...
- McDonald’s Expands Its Canadian Plant-Based Burger Test, And Cuts The Priceon January 8, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Last fall, McDonald’s gingerly joined the competition to create a plant-based burger, by rolling out the P. L.T. in Canada.
- Grocers roll out plant-based burgers - at prices below Beyond Meaton January 8, 2020 at 5:14 am
Cashing in on rising demand for imitation meat, major retailers including Kroger, Target and Walmart recently began to carry Beyond Meat’s ( BYND.O) plant-based burgers and sausages. Now, several ...
- Beyond Meat and McDonald’s expand test of plant-based burger in Canadaon January 8, 2020 at 4:44 am
“We’re pleased that McDonald’s customers have shared they are enjoying the delicious, plant-based burger,“ said a Beyond Meat spokesperson. McDonald’s also sells an imitation meat burger with a ...
- Impossible Foods Unveils New Plant-Based 'Pork' Products, Launch Impossible Croissan'wich with 'Sausage' at Burger Kingon January 7, 2020 at 1:45 am
Plant-based company Impossible Foods has announced new pork products and will be testing a sausage breakfast sandwich at Burger King.
- Impossible Foods to trial plant-based sausage patty with Burger Kingon January 6, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Impossible Foods Inc on Monday launched a plant-based sausage patty that will be tested in 139 Burger King restaurants later this month, entering a category dominated by rival Beyond Meat ( BYND.O ).
via Bing News