Consumers concerned about safety of silver ions in antibacterial and odor-free clothing will soon have a proven safe alternative thanks to ultra-thin thread and a substance found naturally in red algae.
The use of silver ions for antibacterial textiles has been a matter of hot debate worldwide. Sweden’s national agency for chemical inspection is one authority which has ruled silver a health risk, citing possible damage to human genetic material, reproduction and embryonic development.
Mikael Hedenqvist, professor of polymer materials at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, says he and his colleagues, assistant professor Richard Olsson and doctoral student Rickard Andersson, have produced new antibacterial fibres that combine bio-compatible plastics with the antimicrobial compound, lanosol, which is commonly found in seaweeds of the family Rhodophyta, or red algae.
“The substance is a good alternative to particle-based antibacterials for clothing, as well as compresses or bandages,” Hedenqvist says.
Using a process called electrospinning, they have succeeded in creating an ultra-thin thread, which means fabrics can have more contact between the antibacterial fibre and the surrounding area.
“Electrospinning produces quite thin thread, with a thickness on the order of one-hundreth of a human hair,” Hedenqvist says. The result is more effective clean-up of bacteria.
The Latest on: Antibacterial textiles
via Google News
The Latest on: Antibacterial textiles
- Fashion designers exploring, rediscovering potential benefits of hempon July 16, 2019 at 12:11 am
But hemp also has a long history in textiles and fabric, and it is currently receiving another look due to the growing interest in all things cannabis – along with loosening laws that allow for its ... […]
- Astral Nanotec develops lasting coat of anti-bacterial protection solutionon July 12, 2019 at 2:56 am
KUALA LUMPUR, July 12 (Bernama) -- American nanotechnology scientist, Prof Jackie Ying has invented a lasting coat of anti-bacterial protection called ... Rozinco can be bonded with textiles in the ... […]
- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Market Is Estimated...on July 5, 2019 at 2:44 am
PUNE, India, July 05, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Industry was valued at USD 573 Million in the year 2017. Global Antimicrobial Textiles Industry is further estimated to ... […]
- Natural peppermint used to tackle odour in cotton textileson June 28, 2019 at 2:47 am
Swiss textile antimicrobial specialist Sanitized is using natural peppermint as the source of its latest odour-management development to treat cotton textiles sustainably and in line with growing ... […]
- PolyU signs a collaborative agreement with top textile university in Southern China to promote green and healthy textileson June 6, 2019 at 6:50 am
the Mainland's growing demand for "green and healthy" textile has created a huge market potential for antibacterial and mildew resistant textiles. The collaboration aims to facilitate the experts from ... […]
- Global Antimicrobial Medical Textiles Market Key Players 2019: Novozymes, AnaSpec, AMP Biotech and Chinese Peptideon June 4, 2019 at 3:01 am
(MENAFN - QYresearch.us) Latest Report Titled On:- Global Antimicrobial Medical Textiles Market – Segmented by Processing, Type, Usage, Distribution Channel and Geography (2018 – 2023) Global ... […]
- Antimicrobial Textiles Market to Reach $10.28 Billion by 2022 : Growing Consumer Awareness About Hygienes to Drive the Growthon May 15, 2019 at 5:53 pm
Northbrook, IL -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/15/2019 -- The report "Antimicrobial Textiles Market by Agent Treated Textiles ( Synthetic Organic Compounds, Metal & Metallic Salts, Bio-based), Application (Medical ... […]
- Microban Introduces Antimicrobial Designed for Cotton Applicationson May 15, 2019 at 3:02 am
AEGIS Vesta is one of the first quat saline based antimicrobial odor control solutions that can be pad applied on woven and knitted cotton home textiles and garments such as sheets, dish towels and ... […]
- Antimicrobial Textiles Market Regional Revenue & Growth Forecast By 2019-2024on May 9, 2019 at 12:57 am
May 09, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Market Report provides complete industry analysis, market outlook, size, growth, opportunities and forecast 2024. This report ... […]
- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Market Potential, Production, Consumption Analysis Forecast 2028on April 24, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Apr 25, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Antimicrobial textiles are type of textiles that has a coating of antimicrobial agents on either within fiber or on the surface. Antimicrobial agents are ... […]
via Bing News