Consumers concerned about safety of silver ions in antibacterial and odor-free clothing will soon have a proven safe alternative thanks to ultra-thin thread and a substance found naturally in red algae.
The use of silver ions for antibacterial textiles has been a matter of hot debate worldwide. Sweden’s national agency for chemical inspection is one authority which has ruled silver a health risk, citing possible damage to human genetic material, reproduction and embryonic development.
Mikael Hedenqvist, professor of polymer materials at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, says he and his colleagues, assistant professor Richard Olsson and doctoral student Rickard Andersson, have produced new antibacterial fibres that combine bio-compatible plastics with the antimicrobial compound, lanosol, which is commonly found in seaweeds of the family Rhodophyta, or red algae.
“The substance is a good alternative to particle-based antibacterials for clothing, as well as compresses or bandages,” Hedenqvist says.
Using a process called electrospinning, they have succeeded in creating an ultra-thin thread, which means fabrics can have more contact between the antibacterial fibre and the surrounding area.
“Electrospinning produces quite thin thread, with a thickness on the order of one-hundreth of a human hair,” Hedenqvist says. The result is more effective clean-up of bacteria.
The Latest on: Antibacterial textiles
via Google News
The Latest on: Antibacterial textiles
- Deakin, Ford Motor Company craft green car insulation for auto industry on June 20, 2019 at 2:05 pm
“It has similar sound absorption, thermal resistance and air flow qualities to the current synthetic textile options, while the wool also offers the added benefits of being naturally odour-resistant, ... […]
- Low Foam Surfactants Market Worth $19.6 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™ on June 20, 2019 at 3:14 am
In personal care application, they are responsible for antimicrobial properties ... Personal Care, Textile, Elastomers & Plastics, Crop Protection, Food & Beverage) - Global Forecast to 2021About ... […]
- Low Foam Surfactants Market Worth $19.6 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets on June 20, 2019 at 2:31 am
In personal care application, they are responsible for antimicrobial properties ... and Bio-based), Application (Detergents, Personal Care, Textile, Elastomers & Plastics, Crop Protection, Food & ... […]
- Sanitized® Mintactiv: Safe, Natural And Sustainable Odor-Management For Cotton Textiles on June 18, 2019 at 10:13 am
The antimicrobial treatment of textiles is an aspect of comfort, which textile producers and brands that support sustainability also want to offer their customers. The hygiene management experts from ... […]
- Sanitized launches peppermint-based antimicrobial on June 18, 2019 at 7:19 am
BURGDORF – Swiss textile solutions specialist Sanitized AG has developed a peppermint oil-based antimicrobial as it looks to satisfy demand for renewable textile finishes that retain a high degree of ... […]
- Successful Techtextil for smart coatings provider on June 18, 2019 at 4:40 am
Now, technical textiles account for the lion’s share of sales ... Cerapur can be flame-retarding, antibacterial or can shine in the dark. Or whatever the customer requires.” ... […]
- PolyU, Wuyi University working on green textiles on June 17, 2019 at 2:07 am
the Mainland's growing demand for “green and healthy” textile has created a huge market potential for antibacterial and mildew resistant textiles. The collaboration aims to facilitate the experts from ... […]
- Motonation Cappra Vented Textile Pants: Sandier & Better Than Ever on June 14, 2019 at 4:05 am
Even the inside antibacterial fixed mesh lining is solid ... allow quick precise in/out sizing customization as needed or desired. A strong black Spandex textile insert from the crotch down along the ... […]
- Antimicrobial Powder Coating Market Industry Research, Share, Trend, Size, Price, Future Analysis, Regional Outlook to 2023 on June 9, 2019 at 10:30 pm
Jun 10, 2019 (MarketersMedia via COMTEX) -- Global Antimicrobial Powder Coating Market by Type [Metal (Silver, Copper), Microorganisms (Escherichia Coli, Listeria, Pseudomonas, and Others)], ... […]
- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Market Key Players 2019: Xingsheng, Perfect, Colgate and Sanxiao Group on June 4, 2019 at 7:06 am
(MENAFN - QYresearch.us) Latest Report Titled On:- Global Antimicrobial Textiles Market – Segmented by Processing, Type, Usage, Distribution Channel and Geography (2018 – 2023) Global Antimicrobial ... […]
via Bing News