Given a choice, most patients would prefer to take a drug orally instead of getting an injection. Unfortunately, many drugs, especially those made from large proteins, cannot be given as a pill because they get broken down in the stomach before they can be absorbed.
To help overcome that obstacle, researchers at MIT and Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) have devised a novel drug capsule coated with tiny needles that can inject drugs directly into the lining of the stomach after the capsule is swallowed. In animal studies, the team found that the capsule delivered insulin more efficiently than injection under the skin, and there were no harmful side effects as the capsule passed through the digestive system.
“This could be a way that the patient can circumvent the need to have an infusion or subcutaneous administration of a drug,” says Giovanni Traverso, a research fellow at MIT’s Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, a gastroenterologist at MGH, and one of the lead authors of the paper, which appears in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Although the researchers tested their capsule with insulin, they anticipate that it would be most useful for delivering biopharmaceuticals such as antibodies, which are used to treat cancer and autoimmune disorders like arthritis and Crohn’s disease. This class of drugs, known as “biologics,” also includes vaccines, recombinant DNA, and RNA.
“The large size of these biologic drugs makes them nonabsorbable. And before they even would be absorbed, they’re degraded in your GI tract by acids and enzymes that just eat up the molecules and make them inactive,” says Carl Schoellhammer, a graduate student in chemical engineering and a lead author of the paper.
Safe and effective delivery
Scientists have tried designing microparticles and nanoparticles that can deliver biologics, but such particles are expensive to produce and require a new version to be engineered for each drug.
The Latest on: Drug-delivery capsule
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug-delivery capsule
- Pii appoints Sridhar Krishnan as Senior Vice President, Operations & Strategic Initiativeson March 22, 2020 at 11:00 pm
/PRNewswire/ -- Pharmaceutics International, Inc. (Pii), a leading Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) using Pharmaceutics Know-How™ ...
- Oramed receives positive feedback from end-of-phase 2 oral insulin CMC meeting with US FDAon March 21, 2020 at 5:30 am
Oramed Pharmaceuticals, a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the development of oral drug delivery systems, announced positive feedback from its initial End-of-phase 2 (EoP2) meeting ...
- Water-balloon physics is high-impact scienceon March 20, 2020 at 7:54 am
"Most people who study capsules resort to complex numerical simulations to model their deformation, where here we have derived a simple model, something that is easy to understand." During his Ph ...
- Oramed Receives Positive Feedback From End-of-Phase 2 Oral Insulin CMC Meeting With FDAon March 19, 2020 at 5:45 am
(www.oramed.com), a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the development of oral drug delivery systems, today announced positive feedback from its initial End-of-Phase 2 (EoP2 ...
- Oramed Receives Positive Feedback From End-of-Phase 2 Oral Insulin CMC Meeting With FDAon March 19, 2020 at 5:40 am
/PRNewswire/ -- Oramed Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: ORMP) (TASE: ORMP) (www.oramed.com), a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the development ...
- Superdisintegrants Market 2020 - Newest Industry Data, Future Trends And Forecast 2026 - Market Research Engineon March 18, 2020 at 9:33 am
New York, March 18, 2020: Superdisintegrant is a sort of excipient that is utilized for the tablet-based drug delivery in the ... medications that are as pills, capsules and tablets.
- Drug-delivery implant can keep you medicated for years, and it’s being commercialized nowon March 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Each capsule is covered by a metal membrane that is removed by a tiny electric impulse at set intervals. It can be programmed wirelessly to change the deployment schedule as needed as well.
- Will Avadel Pharmaceuticals plc NASDAQ:AVDL meet your expectations?on March 11, 2020 at 6:00 am
TriggerLock is a drug delivery platform with the potential to provide a controlled release of opioid ... ACIPHEX Sprinkle (rabeprazole sodium delayed-release capsules) is a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) ...
- Animal Gelatin Capsule Market 2020 Insights, Potential Business Strategies, Mergers and Acquisitions, Revenue Analysison March 5, 2020 at 7:00 am
The global Animal Gelatin Capsule market is segregated on the ... market include growth in popularity of capsules over other drug delivery forms and increase in strategic collaborations between ...
- Researchers Use 3D Printing for Precise Control in Programmable Release Drug Delivery Capsuleson March 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Discuss your thoughts in the 3D Printed Programmable Release Drug Delivery Capsules forum thread over at 3DPB.com.
via Bing News