In 2005, in a landmark paper viewed well over a million times, John Ioannidis explained in PLOS Medicine why most published research findings are false.
To coincide with PLOS Medicine’s 10th anniversary he responds to the challenge of this situation by suggesting how the research enterprise could be improved.
Research, including medical research, is subject to a range of biases which mean that misleading or useless work is sometimes pursued and published while work of value is ignored. The risks and rewards of academic careers, the structures and habits of peer reviewed journals, and the way universities and research institutions are set up and governed all have profound effects on what research scientists undertake, how they choose to do it and, ultimately, how patients are treated. Perverse incentives can lead scientists to waste time producing and publishing results which are wrong or useless. Understanding these incentives and altering them provides a potential way for drastically re-shaping research to improve in medical knowledge.
In a provocative and personal essay, designed to spur readers into thinking about how research careers could be redesigned in order to encourage better work, Ioannidis suggests practical ways in which our current situation could be improved. He describes how successful practices from some branches of science could be distributed to others which have performed badly, and suggests ways in which academic structures could provide greater benefits from the work of researchers, administrators, publishers and the research funding which supports them all.
The Latest on: Medical research
via Google News
The Latest on: Medical research
- Medical Practice Management Software Market – 2020 Size, Growth Forecast to 2026on March 24, 2020 at 9:50 am
The global Medical Practice Management Software market, growing at a CAGR. Global Medical Practice Management Software Market: Drivers and Restrains The research report has incorporated the analysis ...
- Medical Animation Market CAGR of 20.4%: Top Major Players Like AXS Studio, Visible Body, Animated Biomedical Productions, XVIVO Scientific Animationon March 24, 2020 at 9:46 am
Medical animation market is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2027. Data Bridge Market Research analyses the market to account for USD 917.82 million by 2027 growing at ...
- Analysis on the World's Disposable Medical Supplies Market, 2020: Focus on Chinaon March 24, 2020 at 9:00 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Disposable Medical Supplies Industry Forecasts - China Focus" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This study ...
- Global Digestible Medical Sensors Market – Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2021-2026on March 24, 2020 at 8:44 am
Mar 24, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) -- The ‘ Digestible Medical Sensors Market’ research report added by Market Study Report, LLC, provides a succinct analysis on ...
- TriNetX Readies its Real-World Data Platform and Global Network of Healthcare Organizations to Support COVID-19 Clinical Researchon March 24, 2020 at 6:00 am
/PRNewswire/ -- TriNetX, the global health research network that revolutionizes clinical research and enables discoveries through the generation of real-world ...
- Tampa clinical research facility sheds light on clinical trials for coronaviruson March 24, 2020 at 4:35 am
Dr. Seth Forman and his team are on the front lines of clinical research. Right now, they are doing research on a variety of autoimmune diseases. He calls people participating in these clinical trials ...
- A Medical Class ‘Minted by the Pandemic’on March 24, 2020 at 2:23 am
Across the nation, medical students are graduating directly into the path of an epic health crisis.
- Medical Billing Outsourcing Market Size Worth $23.1 Billion by 2027: Grand View Research, Inc.on March 24, 2020 at 2:18 am
The global medical billing outsourcing market size is projected to reach USD 23.1 billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 12.3%, based on a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. A large amount of ...
- Can New Test Help Build an Army of Immune Medical Workers?on March 24, 2020 at 2:00 am
Other research outfits hurried to develop tests to determine if a person was infected ... They were exuberant and passionate about their work before COVID-19 jarred us into remembering the importance ...
- Medical Disposable Eye Fields Market Research 2020 – Global Market Size, Share, Trends Analysis And Global Development Forecast To 2026on March 24, 2020 at 1:13 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" Global “Medical Disposable Eye Fields Market” 2020 Manufacturers, Types, Application, Analysis and Forecast 2026.
via Bing News