Alcohol consumption isn’t the only thing a breath analysis can reveal.
Scientists have been studying its possible use for diagnosing a wide range of conditions in humans — and now in the beloved bottlenose dolphin. In a report in the ACS journal Analytical Chemistry, one team describes a new instrument that can analyze the metabolites in breath from dolphins, which have been dying in alarming numbers along the Atlantic coast this year.
Cristina E. Davis and colleagues note that studying dolphins’ health is about more than preserving their populations — the popular mammals also can serve as sentinels for overall ocean health. But invasive techniques such as skin biopsies and blood sampling, which are the most effective ways to test their health, are difficult to perform. An intriguing alternative comes from research on human-health monitoring with breath analyzers. Exhaled breath contains compounds called metabolites that can hint at a person’s diet, activity level, environmental exposures or disease state. Davis’ team wanted to develop a way to capture dolphin breath so they could gather this kind of information on marine mammals.
The researchers designed an insulated tube customized to trap the breath exhaled from the blowhole of the bottlenose dolphin. They tested it on dolphins both in the wild and under human care. The scientists established baseline breath profiles of healthy animals and identified changes in the breath of animals affected by disease or other factors. The researchers conclude that breath analysis could someday be used to diagnose and monitor problems in marine mammals — and by extension, in ocean health.
The Latest on: Breath analysis
via Google News
The Latest on: Breath analysis
- Serbia v Scotland - UEFA Euro 2020 play-off final LIVE: Arsenal's Kieran Tierney and Celtic's Ryan Christie included, score updates, action as it happens, qualification ...on November 12, 2020 at 10:21 am
Follow the action from Belgrade with us as Scotland and Steve Clarke aim to make history and return to a major men’s football championship for the first time this century. They take on Serbia in ...
- Global Breath-actuated Pressurized Inhaler Market 2020 Growth by Opportunities, Application, Current Trend and Forecast by 2026on November 11, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Nov (CDN Newswire via Comtex) -- Global Breath-actuated Pressurized Inhaler Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast ...
- Biden’s expected environmental policies a breath of fresh air for Chicago area Trump criticson November 9, 2020 at 4:17 pm
The president-elect has vowed to promote climate change and reverse Trump’s actions. Chicago’s EPA union official predicts a crackdown on polluters.
- Global Smart Bed Market By Distribution Channel, By Application, By Region, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2020 - 2026on November 9, 2020 at 5:30 am
The Global Smart Bed Market size is expected to reach $2.7 billion by 2026, rising at a market growth of 4.8% CAGR during the forecast ...
- Analysis: Trump’s vote diatribe both shocking, unsurprising | Charlotte Observeron November 5, 2020 at 10:32 pm
When President Donald Trump stepped to the podium in the White House and made a frontal attempt to undermine the vote, it was at the same time both shocking and utterly to be expected.
- Analysis: Trump’s vote diatribe both shocking, unsurprisingon November 5, 2020 at 9:56 pm
It was at the same time shocking and utterly to be expected. As the nation held its collective breath and awaited the result of the 2020 presidential election, ...
- Gum, Mint and Breath Fresheners Market 2020 Analysis and In-depth Research on Market Dynamics, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecast to 2026on November 3, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Global “ Gum, Mint and Breath Fresheners Market ” forecast 2020-2026 gives a dynamic review of the market size, including definitions, division, applications, key suppliers, market drivers and Gum, ...
- Analysis: ‘We all need to take a deep breath’ — on possible postelection violenceon November 3, 2020 at 11:53 am
WTOP national security correspondent J.J. Green offers his take on possible postelection violence, and what voters should really be concerned about.
- Global Electronic Breath Analyzers Market 2020 Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025on November 3, 2020 at 5:37 am
MarketsandResearch.biz has announced a market research study entitled Global Electronic Breath Analyzers Market Growth 2020-2025 that largely focuses on various past developments in the market as well ...
- Non-invasive COVID-19 breath test could hit market within six monthson November 2, 2020 at 8:13 am
Researchers in the United Kingdom are developing a breath test that can diagnose the coronavirus within a minute, the BBC reports.
via Bing News