World’s first “solar battery” runs on light and air
Is it a solar cell? Or a rechargeable battery?
Actually, the patent-pending device invented at The Ohio State University is both: the world’s first solar battery.
In the October 3, 2014 issue of the journal Nature Communications, the researchers report that they’ve succeeded in combining a battery and a solar cell into one hybrid device.
Key to the innovation is a mesh solar panel, which allows air to enter the battery, and a special process for transferring electrons between the solar panel and the battery electrode. Inside the device, light and oxygen enable different parts of the chemical reactions that charge the battery.
The university will license the solar battery to industry, where Yiying Wu, professor of chemistry and biochemistry at Ohio State, says it will help tame the costs of renewable energy.
“The state of the art is to use a solar panel to capture the light, and then use a cheap battery to store the energy,” Wu said. “We’ve integrated both functions into one device. Any time you can do that, you reduce cost.”
He and his students believe that their device brings down costs by 25 percent.
The invention also solves a longstanding problem in solar energy efficiency, by eliminating the loss of electricity that normally occurs when electrons have to travel between a solar cell and an external battery. Typically, only 80 percent of electrons emerging from a solar cell make it into a battery.
With this new design, light is converted to electrons inside the battery, so nearly 100 percent of the electrons are saved.
The Latest on: Solar battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar battery
- The market for lithium-ion battery is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 22%, during the forecast period (2019on November 14, 2019 at 9:00 am
Although pumped hydro storage dominates the total installed storage power capacity, battery-based electricity storage systems are developing rapidly, with falling costs and improving performance. - ...
- SunUp is a solar panel system perfect for hikers and adventurerson November 14, 2019 at 7:40 am
Rigid solar panels made of monocrystalline and polycrystalline ... The 15W panel uses a 4000 mAh battery that fully charges within 12 hours. + SunUp Via Dezeen Images via Bradley Brister ...
- Solar Battery Market Growth Powered with Latest Development Scenario and Influencing Trendson November 14, 2019 at 7:34 am
Seattle, WA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/14/2019 -- The Solar Battery Market Report offers optimistic and determined details of the Present as well as the historical Industry insights, that assist you in ...
- Ørsted greenlights 460MW solar and battery storage projecton November 14, 2019 at 5:49 am
Ørsted has started the construction of a new 460MW solar power and battery storage project in the US. It follows a final investment decision from its board of directors for the Permian Energy Centre, ...
- Power Ledger Completes Peer-to-Peer Solar Energy Trading Trial in Indiaon November 14, 2019 at 5:49 am
Earlier in November, the company partnered with a local energy retailer to roll out its technology in South Australia, allowing Australians to pool their excess solar and battery storage to a Virtual ...
- Ørsted Kicks Off 460 MW Solar-Plus-Storage Developmenton November 14, 2019 at 5:38 am
Ørsted says it has commenced construction on the company’s first utility-scale solar-plus-battery-storage project, the 460 MW AC Permian Energy Center. The facility is located in Andrews County, Texas ...
- Editorial: California, don’t back down from your own rules requiring solar panels on new homeson November 14, 2019 at 3:36 am
It’s going to take years, maybe decades, to make utility lines safer. In the meantime, rooftop solar panels together with battery storage systems can keep the lights on during the blackouts. By all ...
- Ørsted to build landmark solar and storage projecton November 13, 2019 at 6:48 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark, Nov. 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Ørsted announced today that following final investment decision from its Board of Directors it has commenced construction on the company's first ...
- California regulators debate, delay vote on rooftop solar mandate exemptionon November 13, 2019 at 3:43 pm
“The goal is decarbonization, not to support one sliver of the solar industry,” he said. “The sky is not going to fall either way.” But he was concerned the proposal wasn’t saving enough money for ...
- Energizer, ADT advance; Bank of America, Canadian Solar slipon November 13, 2019 at 12:47 pm
The battery and personal care products maker handily beat Wall Street’s fiscal fourth-quarter profit forecasts. The solar wafers maker reported weak third-quarter profit and revenue. Datadog Inc., up ...
via Bing News