World’s first “solar battery” runs on light and air
Is it a solar cell? Or a rechargeable battery?
Actually, the patent-pending device invented at The Ohio State University is both: the world’s first solar battery.
In the October 3, 2014 issue of the journal Nature Communications, the researchers report that they’ve succeeded in combining a battery and a solar cell into one hybrid device.
Key to the innovation is a mesh solar panel, which allows air to enter the battery, and a special process for transferring electrons between the solar panel and the battery electrode. Inside the device, light and oxygen enable different parts of the chemical reactions that charge the battery.
The university will license the solar battery to industry, where Yiying Wu, professor of chemistry and biochemistry at Ohio State, says it will help tame the costs of renewable energy.
“The state of the art is to use a solar panel to capture the light, and then use a cheap battery to store the energy,” Wu said. “We’ve integrated both functions into one device. Any time you can do that, you reduce cost.”
He and his students believe that their device brings down costs by 25 percent.
The invention also solves a longstanding problem in solar energy efficiency, by eliminating the loss of electricity that normally occurs when electrons have to travel between a solar cell and an external battery. Typically, only 80 percent of electrons emerging from a solar cell make it into a battery.
With this new design, light is converted to electrons inside the battery, so nearly 100 percent of the electrons are saved.
The Latest on: Solar battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar battery
- NextEra Looks to Add Batteries to Its Existing Solar Fleeton January 24, 2020 at 1:02 pm
The company is reviewing “a number of opportunities to add storage to our existing solar sites to take advantage of the [investment tax credit] and enhance the value of our existing projects for ...
- Boeing-Made DirecTV Satellite Suffers Battery Malfunction, Could Explode In Orbiton January 24, 2020 at 12:40 am
A large broadcast satellite owned by DirecTV suffered irreversible battery damage back in December and is now at risk of exploding in orbit.
- SolarCraft Completes Solar Power System at St. Bonaventure Catholic Church - Concord Catholic Parish Goes Solar with Diocese of Oakland Solar Programon January 24, 2020 at 12:06 am
SolarCraft delivers Clean Energy Solutions for homes and businesses including Solar Electric, Solar Pool Heating and Battery / Energy Storage. With over 8,000 customers, our team of dedicated employee ...
- Appalachian Power restarts its search for solar energy projectson January 23, 2020 at 1:30 pm
In 2018, the minimum size for a solar farm was 50 megawatts; that has been reduced to 10 megawatts. Appalachian said it hopes the smaller size, as well as an option for developers to use a battery ...
- Spacewalkers complete another round of solar array battery replacementson January 22, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Floating in the station’s Quest airlock compartment, Jessica Meir and Christina Koch switched their spacesuits to battery power at 6:35 a.m. EST to officially kick off their third spacewalk together, ...
- Enphase, Petersen-Dean Ink Deal to Cater to US Solar Marketon January 22, 2020 at 10:39 am
Enphase Energy Inc. ENPH recently inked a strategic deal with Petersen-Dean for supplying its inverters and battery storage systems. Notably, Petersen-Dean picked Enphase for its all-in-one smart ...
- Which AA Rechargeable Battery Gives You the Best Bang for Your Buck?on January 22, 2020 at 8:58 am
Each battery was placed into an outdoor solar-powered light and allowed to charge and discharge over 300 times. Additional batteries for each brand were allowed to sit on a shelf unused for nearly a ...
- Israel launches tenders for desalination, solar power plantson January 22, 2020 at 8:51 am
Construction work on the 300 mega-watt solar farm is expected to commence next year and finish in 2023. For the first time, the tender is expected to require the use of battery-based energy storage ...
- Solar Street Lighting Market Latest Trend, Growth Rate And Application Scope | Fortune Business Insightson January 22, 2020 at 2:32 am
Top Players in Solar Street Lighting Market are Aggreko PLC., Akas Power Generation, APR Energy PLC, Atlas Copco AB, Briggs & Stratton Corporation, Broadcrown Ltd., Burtonwood Generator & Switchgear ...
- Tesla’s Newest Big Battery in Australia Set to Back Up Wind Farmon January 21, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Tesla Inc.’s latest big lithium-ion battery is set to start in South Australia, one of the nation’s biggest users of renewable generation, where it will support a steady flow of power from a wind farm ...
via Bing News